Star Wars Disenchantment

John

7 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

What's R2-D2's screentime in Attack of the Clones (the only good Star Wars movie so far)?

Jay, I thought we agreed Drax wasn't allowed any more aliases.

12 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Off the top of my head, I'd certainly say R2D2 has the most screen time in Star Wars '77 by far. Probably in the neighbourhood of 20 minutes.

Yep.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027631145/

I used to have a HUGE crush on Natalie Portman in my high school youth. As in, I used to be about as infatuated with her as I am today with Bryce Dallas Howard. I haven't stopped thinking she's a beauty, my heart's merely moved on.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

So this list tells me Rey was in TFA for 43 minutes, which beats Luke's longest screen time (37:30) in SW 77 by almost 6 minutes. And Jyn Erso's 33 minutes almost ties Luke's TESB/ROTJ screen time of approximately 34 minutes each.

Conclusion? It appears that @Mattris's feminist conspiracy was right after all.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, you have to calculate the screentimes in percentages.

Of course removing from your calculation the time taken up by the end-credits. These are considerably longer for the Disney entries than for the original sextet.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I took me 20 years, but now, I accept the prequels.

For a long time, I thought that it was the worst thing which can happen to Star Wars.

So we are in 2018... The prequels... they where not that bad after all!

I feel the opposite. The prequels suck compared to TFA and TLJ. I don't know if I'll ever watch them again. 

3 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I feel the opposite. The prequels sick compared to TFA and TLJ. I don't know if I'll ever watch them again. 

Oh, you answer me like if I spoke seriously.

So cute!!!

Mattris said:

After 20 Marvel films in 10 years, does 'Marvel fatigue' exist? It does not.

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:
 It so does!

Any fatigue felt by some is not a problem for Disney/Marvel when the films are generally received well by the fans and continue to make healthy profits.

Marvel also has how many actual series?  Iron Man, Captain America, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Ant Man. Plus stand alones like Black Panther and Dr Strange. 

Star Wars has a comparitively small cast of characters. You almost can't compare them.  

Fans receive Marvel movies well. I, on the other hand, don't have a clue what's going on.

"Fans" don't receive Star Wars movies well. Everyone else loves the,.

What's the matter with us? Can we not look beyond a bunch of movies and live our lives without frivolous unending debate about these things. Surely we are capable of greater things, things that amount to much more than this crude matter. Mattris, I hope you are doing alright otherwise, because it seems you spend so much of your time dwelling on resentment from the past two and a half years in the SW franchise. Find something you love and love the heck out of it, film or score or whatever it may be. The biggest problem I have with you is not just that you focus on the negative, you are the negative. We only ever hear about your dislike for the past four SW films. Join some other conversations bud, strike up some interest elsewhere. As for the movie bashing, I know not what you try to accomplish.

Thank you for your consideration in the past weeks and a good evening to you all.

4 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Marvel also has how many actual series?  Iron Man, Captain America, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Ant Man. Plus stand alones like Black Panther.  

Star Wars has a comparitively small cast of characters. You almost can't compare them.  

Marvel has a 'universe' of films (the MCU), and Lucasfilm has the Star Wars Galaxy. Don't try to complicate things in a sad attempt to disprove my point.

What I said is still true. Marvel could release 10 movies with different casts.  Star Wars is all the same. 

Plus I've heard your point a million times. I still don't agree. 

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Fans receive Marvel movies well. I, on the other hand, don't have a clue what's going on.

"Fans" don't receive Star Wars movies well. Everyone else loves the,.

What's the matter with us? Can we not look beyond a bunch of movies and live our lives without frivolous unending debate about these things. Surely we are capable of greater things, things that amount to much more than this crude matter. Mattris, I hope you are doing alright otherwise, because it seems you spend so much of your time dwelling on resentment from the past two and a half years in the SW franchise. Find something you love and love the heck out of it, film or score or whatever it may be. The biggest problem I have with you is not just that you focus on the negative, you are the negative. We only ever hear about your dislike for the past four SW films. Join some other conversations bud, strike up some interest elsewhere. As for the movie bashing, I know not what you try to accomplish.

Thank you for your consideration in the past weeks and a good evening to you all.

No, good evening to YOU SIR!

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

If that was a reference to something then-

Ha!

If that was you dismissing me from the conversation because you agree with Mattris-

Ha!

Calm down my good man, it was a compliment. ;)

7 minutes ago, Demodex said:

What I said is still true. Marvel could release 10 movies with different casts.  Star Wars is all the same. 

Plus I've heard your point a million times. I still don't agree. 

Maybe he should repeat it again so you will?

42 minutes ago, Mattris said:

What amazing is that Star Wars is in tatters after just four films in 2.5 years. No one in their right mind would have kept her on - much less, extended her contract.

Mattris, if I may direct you to the wisdom of a countryman of mine...

"A fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and can't change the subject"

Winston Churchill

Hi, Jerry. I hope you are doing well, too. As I'm sure you noticed, I took a few weeks break from this topic*... and have been busy with my life outside of JWFan. What I am trying to accomplish here is to convince all of you that my opinions and factual observations are the most reasonable reaction to what is happening with Star Wars. Some of you may only want to see the positive aspects of these films... or to see only their silver linings. Some of you attempt to praise the films - but mostly end up attempting to defend the indefensible - and do not want to admit that they (TLJ in particular) are lazy, disrespectful, or just plain crap.

Star Wars is currently on the wrong path - both financially and from the fans' perspective. I concede that some of you will never admit these points, no matter what. But I can be sure that some points I am making have made some impact on all of you.

On a positive note, I very much enjoy John Williams' contributions. Although it had too many underdeveloped characters, I thought Rouge One was excellent overall - even more so after I read its novel adaptation and Catalyst. Join some other conversations on JWFan... an excellent idea!

* Thanks goes out the person who changed the topic name. Could you please also remove the "Absorb All the Hostility"? We at JWFan are not being hostile... that's Kathleen Kennedy's job!

On 9/29/2018 at 5:11 PM, Nick1066 said:

Mattris, if I may direct you to the wisdom of a countryman of mine...

"A fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and can't change the subject"

Winston Churchill

And Nick, if I may direct you to the wisdom of a countryman of mine...

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

32 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Same. Actually, I also take issue with how the Marvel movies are made.  We should all be quite fatigued of them by now.  We will be in, say, 10 years time. 

3 minutes ago, Mattris said:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous that sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095baffd5d786a505049

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous that sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

And a great quote too, but you missed the mark on the context and relevance part.

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

... which you need a lot of if you feel the burning desire to watch any current SW or Marvel movie a second time.

Or sometimes one time.

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, in steps the outspoken gkygyver, scoffing at the idea of rewatching a Star Wars film.

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

True. That aspect certainly holds it back from greatness.

But as a film its still a joy to watch. Its fun, while still having darker passages. It flows quite nicely (much better than The Last Jedi). The production design is excellent, and the way its photographed is unique and engaging but also doesn't call attention to itself (again unlike The Last Jedi).

I agree with all of this.

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

More than delivered. Outside of Solo, every film did comfortably over a billion dollars. That's amazing.

Honestly, I don't think that's amazing at all. In fact, I would have been shocked if this hadn't happened. The franchise doesn't have to be good anymore to make that kind of money, just good enough.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I used to have a HUGE crush on Natalie Portman in my high school youth. As in, I used to be about as infatuated with her as I am today with Bryce Dallas Howard. I haven't stopped thinking she's a beauty, my heart's merely moved on.

I concur. Back about 15/16 years ago, I'd look forward to whenever she'd do a new photoshoot and she looked beautiful as fuck in AotC. But you don't stay liking the same gals forever I suppose, and crushes wear off as your tastes in the opposite sex evolve. Natalie particularly irks me these days because of her politics, and her ultra skinny frame as seen in movies like Annihilation have prevented me from giving her even a courtesy wank in years.

5 hours ago, Mattris said:

Some of you attempt to praise the films - but mostly end up attempting to defend the indefensible - and do not want to admit that they (TLJ in particular) are lazy, disrespectful, or just plain crap.

Star Wars is currently on the wrong path - both financially and from the fans' perspective. I concede that some of you will never admit these points, no matter what. But I can be sure that some points I am making have made some impact on all of you.

Isn't that the great thing about opinions, Mattris, that we can all have them and they don't have to be taken as gospel?

Just like your insistence Star Wars is going down the drain is your opinion, mine is that Star Wars isn't some golden calf, it's not untouchable. They're films that audiences are going to receive one way or the other that aren't infallible. 

What do the complaints of fan-forum dweller have on the millions of children across the world who have come to embrace Star Wars, not to mention the millions of fans spanning multiple generations who still love the franchise and the new films?

You're holding up personal complaints and box-office results as the be-all, end-all of the fate of the franchise, judging it based on your standards.

But I can be sure that some points I am making have made some impact on all of you.

Yes, only to piss me off, sometimes laugh, sometimes grit my teeth in exasperation...

6 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yes, only to piss me off

Was going to say something very similar. Also, his criticisms and dunderheadedness have made me realize I enjoy The Last Jedi even more than I thought, having seen how much I disagreed or didn't mind the complaints Mattris and his ilk have raised. So congratulations, Mattris, you did have an impact on me.