Star Wars Disenchantment

John

(I moved my previous post to the top of this page for easy access)

13 hours ago, Holko said:

Look on this very forum where people (both fans and more casuals) not hating the movie (ranging from those loving it to those more indifferent), based on those who have talked about it, are absolutely in the majority. In fact, you are the only one here who keeps tying to argue against it. I remember back in December 3-5 people really didn't like it, since then all I've seen are 1-2 minimalist posts saying "I didn't really like 7 or 8" or so. That's it.

I'm aware JWFan is not representative of the fandom, but you asked for the same kind of link you provided, and those were definitely not representative either. In fact, a forum with many film and music lovers should be a more balanced source than random comment sections filled with members of an agenda-driven angry vocal minority mob known for actively seeking out stuff they don't like just to trash it.

See this Variety poll taken shortly after Solo was released. SPOILER ALERT: Solo and TLJ are last.

Star Wars movie poll taken on Jedi Temple Archives   (TLJ was last)

Comments copy-pasted from this article on IndieWire:

GREG

I am personally happy to see the spin offs being cancelled. I am hoping to see the last planned film cancelled. The story line failed to keep the magic alive, failed to give due respect to a 3 dimensional character development that kept the characters near & dear to a fan’s heart. Fans did not care about the physical characteristics, it was always the heart, soul & demonstrated actions. Until disney provides that magic & finds someone other than Abrams to keep the series alive, I suspect starwars will go the way of the dodo.

JOHN

The force Awakens and The last Jedi are equally horrible movies. Rogue One was the better of the new movies that came out, only for the fact that it tied in events between either trilogies. Disney does not have the capability to tell Lucas’s story the way he intended it (and he has been on record saying multiple times that there will be no more trilogies). He probably foresaw that anything forward would tank.

BIG BEAR

Yeah lame excuses keep making them, episode 9 will flop and fail keep not listening to the fans keep sidelighting us keep ignoring us will talk with our money thank you.

DAN

You were right

ZEPA

So darth plagious didnt die,he used his power to create Luke.Luke did what he couldnt and he killed Palpatine.Theforce ballances with Luke being sith and Liea having a child who trys to finnish what his hero couldnt do.Darth vader was a good guy.Or you could do the utter bollocks Disney decided was good.

GUY GINGELL

not a single positive comment in this section, and you still think you did good?

SIMO

Well I think people didn’t know that the movie is bad until the have seen it. But in my opinion next Star Wars movies won’t get people to the cinemas.

TIM

Rian Johnson and Disney took a MANS movie and turned it into a post modernism social justice flick turning off millions of lifelong fans

7OTHERPAGES

Disney gambled with alienating the existing fan base in the hope of replacing it with a bigger one. It didn’t pay off; the numbers show it. I predict a far smaller showing for the next set of movies. It used to be an epic space fantasy adventure for (predominantly) boys and it’s been turned into an insipid, mediocre, generic product for “everybody”. Is nothing sacred?

JAYSPEC

This the final straw. Disney didn’t care about rejvinating the star wars franchise. All they ever wanted was to make more money and Star Wars was the quickest way to do it by rehasing a bunch of old tropes and passing as new ideas with bunch of crappy smokes and mirrors. At this point we can just forget about Episode IX and pretend the last 6 sodding years never happened. Perhaps it’s better if the sequel trilogy never happened at all.

Comments copy-pasted from this Variety article:

1. That’s great news. I’ve so enjoyed watching Disney run this whole thing into th ground. Their arrogance & lack of respect for the fans have alienated everyone to the point of a massive boycott. Keep going Disney…it’s hilarious!

2. ATTENTION: Disney, Bob, or whoever claims to be in charge…

Do you see how well Kevin Fiege is doing with the Marvel properties. Successful on ALL their films, producing profitable sequels, no one is complaining about their films (very rarely). All is good in that Universe. Which, btw, also happens to be owned and operated by Disney. Well, now you have shown your true love for Star Wars and Star Wars fandom. Not to mention all the mainstream movie goers who actually despised The Last Jedi. All that is left for the masses to do is completely BOYCOTT EPISODE 9. For some reason you think we are bluffing, either that or someone in Hollywood is seriously blackmailing you. Unfortunately, the only thing we can do as a whole is BOYCOTT EPISODE 9. This will be the biggest and loudest backlash in Hollywood cinema history. We tried warning you before the release of Solo, but you didn’t listen, did you? The metaphorical snowball is in full effect now and continues to roll downhill. What do you think that snowball will look like at the end of next year?? If you’re claiming ‘There’s no such thing as bad publicity’, then I think you are in for a rude awakening come next December!

3. This is terrible news for anyone who goes to the theater to be entertained rather than taught how to be a better human. Strange because the old films had redeemable messages as well, they just didn’t cram them down your throat and had a working knowledge of the universe in which these characters lived.

Leia was a strong female character back in the 70’s, why do we need to be punched in the face with it?

It’s odd also because JJ did a good job initially as The Force Awakens was a good film, it made me care about the lead character, I was intrigued by her (<) backstory and potential interracial romance with her friend… the. the 2nd film appeared and drove it all off a cliff.

A small minority of fans is not to blame for incompetence and ruining one of the best movie franchises of my childhood. There's no undoing the damage done at this point, I'll never waste another penny.

4. Well I’ll be very interested to see how this deal stands if episode 9 follows the downward trend of the Star Wars franchise. There is only so much a studio can take of its properties being run into the ground. As it stands Disney is yet to see a profit in the lucasfilm deal. Which is terrible considering they’ve made four films. 4 billion purchase. So far it’s running at a 1.5 billion loss, even with murchadising, tv, blu ray sales etc. But Disney has a very poor regard for its fan base so I’m not surprised there is a boycott in place. If they keep on doing this I can easily see this boycott extending into their other properties.

5. Look I can over look bad writing, I can even overlook them taking a giant shit on beloved characters, I can even overlook the bad portrayal of strong women( If you think that Rey, Rose and Holdo are showcases of strong women I feel bad for you maybe go watch a Alien film or T2)
    But the breaking of the rules of the Universe I can not over look, With Hyper speed fleet destroying, I mean why didn’t the rebels just do that twice against the death stars or against the imperial fleet. and so forth.

6. Are these people out of their mind ?
    Kathleen Kennedy is the main reason why “Star Wars” is a ruin today.
    She has the distinction of destroying an ultra-profitable franchise within a few years.

The problem with “Han Solo” wasn’t so much, that it came too fast.
    The real problem is the style, tone and childish content of these films.
    They have no edge, verisimilitude and real drama anymore.
    Kennedy chose the wrong directors and wrong actors.

If Kathleen Kennedy really produces another trilogy with Rian Johnson,
    she is even crazier than I ever thought she would be.

“The Last Jedi” was made in such bad taste,
    it alienated most fans too much.

Get rid of Kennedy ASAP !

7. It was only one failure, however big……but she lost money, on a Star Wars film. I figured that was impossible. Mind you, I loved the film…..but it lost so much money. A Star Wars film.

8. Oh boy. The only thing worse than Kathleen Kennedy is Jar Jar Abrams and his memberberries. I never thought I’d aay this but; is there any way to get George Lucas back?

9. Sorry Disney and Lucasfilm but this is not going to sit well with most fans. The fans are the paying customers. Kennedy was responsible for the recent bad Star Wars films and her negativity towards the male fan base. The fan boycott on the films and merchandise will just continue to grow. The next 3 years will save me an average of $13,000 a year which I won’t be spending. Sad to see the Star Wars franchise end up like this.

10. It’s too bad the box office failure of Solo and the fake “Kelly Marie Trann was harassed” story didn’t get rid of her. If any of us were responsible for those two things, we’d have been gone LONG ago.

11. Well, I will always remember Star Wars for what it was. This new propaganda rhetoric that Kennedy is pushing down our throats is garbage. I dont care about the characters sexual orientation or the droids liberation movement I just want good old fashioned sci fi and death, destruction, the good-bad and the force. Oh well Star Wars R.I.P.

12. Really bad news, “The Last Jedi” sucked, “Solo” lost money so they extended her contract? If they keep Rian Johnson (He spells it with an “I”?) get ready for more boycotts, but they’ll blame the bad box office on poor marketing.. The fandom doesn’t think the “STAR WARS” saga is not just another popcorn flick, they will stay away (They see them several times in the theaters) and NOT buy the toys. Disney is caving in to the social justice warriors these people don’t even see the films and don’t buy the toys.

• Stop taring all post 1980’s kids with your brush of bad taste and ignorance. Many of us have common sense.. You’re just another example of failed parenting strategies by guess who… your inbred Gen X parents. Some of us were lucky not to have parents teaching us from ‘101 ways to raise a child’ books. If having good taste and expectations of not ruining creativity in franchises makes me smug, then ill happily ware that badge.

• I am so sick of millennial entitled do nothing attitudes. I am elated that the millennial generation is the smallest and most reviled generation to ever grace this planet. Talk about self-righteous….that is the millennial batte-cry as they peg everyone as racist and homophobe. Don’t you have someone’s freedom of speech to take?

13. I feel as a long time Star Wars fan that the exits of Han and Luke could have been better done and hopefully they will do a better exit with Leia but I doubt it. I get that they want to start with a different generation of characters but you have to pay respect to the characters that started the franchise in the first place and that I blame on producers that should know better like Kennedy

14. I’m a 40 yr old male and long time Star Wars fan. This is terrific news. The franchise has flourished under Kennedy and while TLJ could have been better, I’ve generally loved the hell out of the new films. Go Kathleen! And roll on episode ix…

• Flourished? Worst box-office take in the history of Star Wars is flourishing? She is poisoning Star Wars with pure propaganda. Star Wars is designed to be escapism art not a political commentary piece. This is the death knell for Star Wars. If you doubt what I am saying..we have already seen this fight countless times in gaming. Looking at Mass Effect (gone), and now Battlefield (they are in real trouble) the fans have spoken. Meanwhile games like the Withcher, GTA V, MGS V, Doom 2016, Hotline Miami 1+2,I could keep going for years (no political commentary and no PC culture) flourished, truly flourished. Actually, looking at the pre-order sales for Doom 2018 it looks like people are so tired of leftist propaganda (I’m not going this far) that they want the opposite (I don’t, I want none of it).

15. Not looking forward to 3 more years of Star Wars being managed under her. They need to fire her. It amazes me that working for decades with the likes of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg on classics like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, etc. didn’t rub off on her. It doesn’t help that she’s not a creative, she’s on the business side of movies being a Producer, hence her choices in directors sucked (Lord and Miller should never have been considered).

• This is Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. I regret to report that both our franchise and its beloved lore have fallen, with the dark shadow of the Kathleen Kennedy Era rising to take their place. This message is a warning and a reminder for any surviving fans: trust in the Force. Do not return to the movie theaters. That time has passed, and our future as Star Wars fans is uncertain. Avoid EA’s games. Avoid the poor quality, expensive toys. Be reserved… but be strong. We will each be challenged: our trust, our faith, our friendships. But we must persevere and, in time, I believe a new hope for the franchise will emerge. May the Force be with you – always.

16. Good job Kathleen!! The TLJ haters make it their 24/7 job to patrol the internet and smear you or anyone supporting you but as usual, they are the VOCAL MINORITY!! May the force be with you!!

• Vocal minority are We? How’s that box office failure equate to a win? A delusional bunch are you. If there was such a majority of people like you…why did Solo tank? Why was episode 7 financially more successful than 8? That is not how this works and is inductive of a problem. You keep banging your little drum as it’s only getting worse from here.

• Hey Gwen this is the first time I’ve ever made any comment on TLJ on social media. But thought I would just let you know that I’m not the only one. I know plenty of people who have never made comment who simply will not be seeing episode 9. I didn’t really give a damn about the social justice crap going on in it. I and alot of others just thought it was a really badly directed movie.

17. God! Will this nightmare never end!?! Why are you presenting this as good news????

The majority of Star Wars fans are just waiting for this woman to leave!

The news of her renewal has been online just for a few hours and there’s already massive talks of boycott for Ep. IX. Since I can now confirm that’s it’s going to be another pile of garbage, because Kennedy is still there, I’ll plan to spend my money on something else.

Thankful, the “Transformers ” franchise seems to be spot on with “Bumblebee”, so I already know where that money will be spent.

18. Well that does it I will never watch another Star Wars movie in the theater again for the rest of my life. nor will I go with my friends, or buy merch and my kids already don’t care about it, so they wont have any nostalgic feelings, to pass on to there kids. TFA was a cash grab reboot. TLJ was awful dumpster fire. i didnt see rogue one or solo, and wont unless its all thats playing on a flight to denver.
    just like bad service at a restaurant, there are too many choices to be stuck or committed to something you don’t like. Don’t get upset. Don’t complain just never give them your money ever again for the rest of your life. and so it is with Denny’s McDonald’s and a dozen other places and products.

19. If she’s gonna run Lucasfilm for the next three years, can she at LEAST apologize for the Lord and Miller firing? The duo got me excited for Solo in the first place and firing them put me off from the film.

• But you’re whining about people whining in the comments section in the comments section. Does that mean your head has now exploded. A little hypocritical I think. If something is bad…. people will hate it. Whining about it won’t make it go away.

• This is exactly backwards. If the announcement had been that Kennedy was let go, then of course there would have been massive online celebrating. But then things would have calmed down and people would have followed the news of upcoming Star Wars installments with hope they might somehow actually be good. Now everyone knows they are going to be terrible, so the fun is in predicting how, and in which ways, the movie is going to suck.

• I’m sorry, I have never, I repeat never post anything on the subject before today. You see, I have a job and an actual education. I generally don’t have time for such nonsense; However, as a true Star Wars fan and again educated one, I understand what this truly means. The franchise is on borrowed time and looking solely at the box office as an investor (I am well vested) the writing is on the wall. You and your friends can do a little song and dance at this victory…it will be short lived. As an investor I look at trends to help me invest my money into successful products. Star Wars has become a net loser. Now, while it is true that I do not invest in Hollywood productions (think boring) the principles are the same. I hope you read my post and come to an understanding of how things actually work. Do the research and you will find me to be correct.

Ask yourself these questions- If they are such a vocal minority, why so many? They can’t possibly typing at several sites at once (not as often as you see it). Why do I think they are the minority? Is it possible I have this wrong?

• Thank you for reading my comments, but I’m just one person. Mostly I’ve just been posting here on variety.com and Star Wars is probably less that 1% of what I write about.

20. “The veteran producer and chief of the Disney content giant behind “Star Wars” has renewed her deal through 2021, an individual familiar with the negotiations told Variety, following a tumultuous year for the label under her control.”

Word salad. But Kathleen Kennedy is sticking around, and there’s no good way to say that.

RIP Star Wars

21. Well there goes it… The franchise is in the sh!t hole for another 3 yrs. Damn it I thought we were done with her and her sjw bs. I guess with that Ruin Johnson gets his trilogy as well. Sad day in the galaxy.

• Show some respect to Johnson. He barely saved the franchise from near-extinction while Kennedy bowed to Grandmaster Lawrence Kasdan’s shitty demands. It’s Kasdan you should be blaming for ruining Star Wars. Destroying a director’s vision IN THE MIDDLE OF SHOOTING (especially when it involves one of the best directing duos we have today) is automatically gonna be a shitty collaborator in my eyes. Kennedy may have done her job as a producer but she picked battles with the wrong people.

• I still want to know why Larry Kasdan was so proud of his shitty script. I’m sorry but all that experience everyone uses to defend Kasdan clearly means nothing when the script he wrote is about as tasty and depthful as styrofoam. Sounds to me that Lord and Miller are upping their game and were ACTUALLY trying to fix Kasdan’s script. In that case, they did the right thing by doing so.

Plus, Ron Howard is a worse director than Lord and Miller and made a terrible movie.

14 minutes ago, Mattris said:

*edited for sake of space in thread*

"Hi. I have zero thoughts that originated in my own brain, or any further retort to your facts. Here's an entire comment thread from a website populated by nerds, I win."

12 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Dude...WTF.

Enough already.  Do you really expect anyone hear to read that crap...a thread from another web site?  Don't we have enough threads here?

I was asked to provide evidence that the fans are disenchanted on sites that are not 'a haven for people wanting to bash the new movies'. Linking articles didn't seem to drive my point home, so I copy-pasted comments. Anyone should be able to scan through them in a few minutes.

9 minutes ago, Demodex said:

TL,DR

Practically every one of those comments represent people on 'my side'.

7 minutes ago, John said:

"Hi. I have zero thoughts that originated in my own brain, or any further retort to your facts. Here's an entire comment thread from a website populated by nerds, I win."

*edited for sake of space in thread* ???

I edited nothing. So any thoughts I have need to 'originate in my own brain' or not be written by 'nerds' to be valid? What are your facts?

5 minutes ago, Mattris said:

*edited for sake of space in thread* ???

I edited nothing.

You misunderstood me. I deleted the contents of your outlandishly long post when I quoted you because I didn’t feel like starting a new page on this thread. 

Breaking News: Some people didn't like TLJ.

I'm not sure what copy-pasting an entire thread full of comments from such people achieves, other than make this thread even more unintelligible.

We don't need evidence @Mattris that people like you don't like TLJ, it's all over the place. On this forum however, there's only a few detractors, a majority found it enjoyable or are indifferent. Linking to random comment threads isn't much of a point in favor of your argument, so far in as it doesn't take into account all of the detractors whose views might not extend as far as your vitriol does. It is possible to like or even love TLJ and still dislike particular elements within the film...

1 hour ago, John said:

You misunderstood me. I deleted the contents of your outlandishly long post when I quoted you because I didn’t feel like starting a new page on this thread.

I understand now.

Why do my thoughts need to 'originate in my own brain' or not be written by 'nerds' to be valid? What were your facts?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Breaking News: Some people didn't like TLJ.

I'm not sure what copy-pasting an entire thread full of comments from such people achieves, other than make this thread even more unintelligible.

Apart from the (welcome) comic relief posts, this thread has kept on-topic... and is not "unintelligible" in any way. Dismissing "an entire thread full of comments from such people" as indicates that you are in denial regarding how wide-spreading the backlash has become.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

We don't need evidence @Mattris that people like you don't like TLJ, it's all over the place. On this forum however, there's only a few detractors, a majority found it enjoyable or are indifferent. Linking to random comment threads isn't much of a point in favor of your argument, so far in as it doesn't take into account all of the detractors whose views might not extend as far as your vitriol does. It is possible to like or even love TLJ and still dislike particular elements within the film...

Can you direct me to "random comment threads" on websites that show a similar percentage of praise for TLJ?

Which of the comments above imply that it's possible that some "like or even love TLJ and still dislike particular elements within the film"?

"The detractors whose views might not extend as far as [my] vitriol does" needn't understand all of the issues or negative aspects of the TLJ. But all things considered, they feel disenchanted enough about Star Wars to not pay for it. And from Disney's perspective, that's the worst thing that can happen.

The worst thing that happened to Disney is Walt Disney's own racist and sexist past. Star Wars is but a twinkle in their eye...

@Mattris you're on the JWFan Forum, anyone here or your good self can search up the many threads praising film and score.

6 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Wrong. The worst thing that happened to Disney was the millions of children, including myself who misread the logo and thought it was "Disnep".

I laughed out loud at this one, hit close to home.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

It's sad to think he actually took the time to copy and paste all those quotes for them to be ultimately useless. Who gives a flying fig what people are saying in the comments of Variety, let alone the comments made on this humble forum? 

My copy-pasted comment weren't useless. Some of you will read them and realize the backlash is very real... and increasing in numbers. Also, everyone got to laugh at me! And now... I will stick out my tongue at you all. 😛

"Who gives a flying fig what people are saying?" Why does anyone share their thoughts? What a stupid thing to say! The fans hope that their communication and combined efforts will get Star Wars back on the right track. I believe they are right!

I've realized that this whole situation with Star Wars has parallels with the Original and Prequel Trilogies:

A once trusted ally is nominated to take control, which quickly leads to an unwelcome and unpleasant directional change. It becomes obvious that those in charge are on a selfish endevour and do not care for the majority. Support for the oppressors decreases daily. And after years of diligent efforts, a determined, righteous group wins in the end... and peace returns. (Obviously, the last part has yet to happen in reality. But I am truly hopeful.)

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

I've realized that this whole situation with Star Wars has parallels with the Original and Prequel Trilogies:

A once trusted ally is nominated to take control, which quickly leads to an unwelcome and unpleasant directional change. It becomes obvious that those in charge are on a selfish endevour and do not care for the majority. Support for the oppressors decreases daily. And after years of diligent efforts, a determined, righteous group wins in the end... and peace returns. (Obviously, the last part has yet to happen in reality. But I am truly hopeful.)

Oh boy

@Jay is there nothing you can do about this? I know it’s only in one thread for the moment but as soon as we start getting substantial episode IX news this is going to spread like wildfire. 

Even before you posted that huge post that no one's going to read, @Mattris, I knew people didn't like the movie. I just don't care.  (And I'm not convinced they're in the majority.)

Did you care when the prequels were getting bashed left and right?  If not, then you know how I feel.  If so, why?

I don't care if ticket and merchandise sales are temporarily down. I liked all 4 Disney SW films. 

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

@Jay is there nothing you can do about this? I know it’s only in one thread for the moment but as soon as we start getting substantial episode IX news this is going to spread like wildfire. 

Nay!

The Moderators of JWfan were once guardians of truth and justice, but now naught but a bureaucracy, sluggish and ineffective. 

Like the Jedi, they will one day be wiped out. And that day is coming!

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

Sorry, Crumbs, its just you.

There's a website that claims that there three sixes, in Disney's signature.

I only see two sixes, unless you count the 'y' twice - once upside down, once right way up, or the weird 's'...

7 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I only see two sixes, unless you count the 'y' twice - once upside down, once right way up, or the weird 's'...

The D, the dot on the i and the y.

29 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's probably a good alternative, if, like Lex, you happen to be a vegetarian.

Cow's milk is fine, by me.

Full fat cows milk or 1% fat milk with extra protein. 💪 

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Full fat milk for me.

Low fat or skim milk, like low fat or skim cheese, is just wrong.

In fact anything that naturally has fat which has been somehow been reduced is frankly...unnatural. By definition.