Star Wars Disenchantment

John

Just now, Nick1066 said:

In fact anything that naturally has fat which has been somehow been reduced is frankly...unnatural. By definition.

What about humans?

6 hours ago, Bilbo said:

@Jay is there nothing you can do about this? I know it’s only in one thread for the moment but as soon as we start getting substantial episode IX news this is going to spread like wildfire. 

I was wondering when someone would ask something like this.

Here's the thing.  Mattris is breaking no rules of this forum.  He's just posting a lot.

Here's what I think many, if not practically all of you in this thread, don't seem to understand: He's feeding off your replies.

If ya'll simply stop replying to him, he'll stop posting.  Or, he'll keep posting to an empty void.

The thread doesn't need to be locked, no rules are being violated (Unless I missed some personal attacks, and if I did, please use the Report function to draw attention to them). 

People who don't care about the topic simply need to stop replying to it, or even opening it.

I'm amazed I have to actually come here and spell this out for people, I thought everyone knew the best way to stop trolls is to ignore them.  Any replies just keeps fueling them.  It's very basic.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I was wondering when....

You're right, as Stefan stated, but I think Bilbo was concerned that we're gonna get bombarded with all of this stuff exponentially by mauraders when Episode IX begins to take shape publically.

The problem with that is that Jason does lean towards a very strict interpretation of the Rules, while former moderators interpreted them more freely and acted on their own good judgement.

Neil once banned me for a week basically because I was being a dumbass.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

If shitposting starts happening in the main Episode IX thread I'll just move it here

If this thread is used as a dumping ground for all that shit I can most certainly live with that! 

On 10/7/2018 at 2:21 PM, Mattris said:

Marketing is not Disney's problem... it's Human Resources and Public Relations. The shameful, demeaning language from numerous Lucasfilm employees toward concerned/upset fans needs to stop... and should have never happen in the first place! People don't appreciate being insulted... and will cease giving for Lucasfilm their business until they apologize or Kathleen Kennedy is no longer with the company. Some are completely done with Disney Star Wars.

Reading this interminable thread, this is one of your arguments, Mattris, that sticks in my craw. The language is “shameful, demeaning” when it comes from LUcasfilm, but not if it comes from a vicious, vocal minority—who in your view is just “concerned/upset”. The double standard is breathtaking here. “People don’t appreciate being insulted,” you say, but those people are the ones hurling insults in the first place. 

33 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

The only 2019 movie that matters is Godzilla: King of the Monsters anyway.

That's the Shin Godzilla sequel? 

19 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

Reading this interminable thread, this is one of your arguments, Mattris, that sticks in my craw. The language is “shameful, demeaning” when it comes from LUcasfilm, but not if it comes from a vicious, vocal minority—who in your view is just “concerned/upset”. The double standard is breathtaking here. “People don’t appreciate being insulted,” you say, but those people are the ones hurling insults in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

If ya'll simply stop replying to him, he'll stop posting.  Or, he'll keep posting to an empty void.

I just want to see how many pages this thread can go with Mattris saying the same thing over and over and over again. 

2019 also brings Alita: Battle Angel, Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, Toy Story 4, Spider-man 2, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Kingsman 3, Terminator 6, and Wonder Woman 1984!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

2019 also brings Alita: Battle Angel, Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, Toy Story 4, Spider-man 2, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Kingsman 3, Terminator 6, and Wonder Woman 1984!

Never heard of any of these. It's Godzilla or bust.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is supposedly Quentin Tarantino's final film.  Until he changes his mind of course.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is supposedly Quentin Tarantino's final film.  Until he changes his mind of course.

No. He intends it to be his second last film. He's always planned to stop with his 10th, which would be the one after this.

Really looking forward to it though. It's the only film you've listed that I'm actually interested in.

2 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

ID4 was my Star Wars.

Actually, wait, Jurassic's my Star Wars, that makes more sense...

Then that makes HTTYD my...um...er....Star Trek? I don't know, let's go with that.

4 minutes ago, KK said:

No. He intends it to be his second last film. He plans to stop with his 10th, which would be the one after this.

Ah, right!

38 minutes ago, KK said:

No. He intends it to be his second last film. He's always planned to stop with his 10th, which would be the one after this.

Really looking forward to it though. It's the only film you've listed that I'm actually interested in.

I'm not even entirely convinced he'll stick to the ten films thing. In fact my guess is he won't. 

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:
2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

We need a shitposting subforum!

Isn’t that what Other Topics is? 

There lies the mstrox thread. How cans't thou say such a sentence and defile it's glory?

This thread does have some bonuses. For example:

Strangely enough my iPad says that reader view is available whenever I scroll over one of Mattris' page long spiels. That's only ever happened to me for @Chen G.'s posts! :lol:

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I just realized Far From Home will be the third time we've had a Spider-Man '2' film. Yeesh.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:32 PM, John said:

"Hi. I have zero thoughts that originated in my own brain, or any further retort to your facts. Here's an entire comment thread from a website populated by nerds, I win."

Any thoughts I have need to 'originate in my own brain' or not be written by 'nerds' to be valid? What are your facts?

On 10/15/2018 at 8:34 PM, Arpy said:

The worst thing that happened to Disney is Walt Disney's own racist and sexist past. Star Wars is but a twinkle in their eye...

@Mattris you're on the JWFan Forum, anyone here or your good self can search up the many threads praising film and score.

You failed to address my point. I said, the worst thing that can happen to Disney regarding Star Wars is that "the detractors whose views might not extend as far as [my] vitriol" needn't understand all of the issues or negative aspects of the TLJ. But all things considered, they feel disenchanted enough about Star Wars to not pay for it. And from Disney's perspective, that's the worst thing that can happen.

I challenge anyone to find mainstream website threads with a majority of the people praising TLJ.

On 10/15/2018 at 10:21 PM, KK said:

So I made the mistake of opening this thread only to see the spam posted above.

I regret everything.

It's proof showing of the majority of commentors on a mainstream website that are extremely disenchanted with Star Wars. Posting links went unnoticed.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:32 AM, Demodex said:

Even before you posted that huge post that no one's going to read, @Mattris, I knew people didn't like the movie. I just don't care.  (And I'm not convinced they're in the majority.)

Did you care when the prequels were getting bashed left and right?  If not, then you know how I feel.  If so, why?

I don't care if ticket and merchandise sales are temporarily down. I liked all 4 Disney SW films. 

While (generally) poorly executed, the prequels were written and directed by the creator of Star Wars... and had a planned-in-advance story to tell... and were well-intentioned - unlike TLJ.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:06 AM, crumbs said:

One of my favourite scenes from one of my favourite movies!

Did you know that most Star Wars fans loved The Last Jedi? I read it on another forum!

Which one?

On 10/16/2018 at 9:39 AM, Jay said:

I was wondering when someone would ask something like this.

Here's the thing.  Mattris is breaking no rules of this forum.  He's just posting a lot.

Here's what I think many, if not practically all of you in this thread, don't seem to understand: He's feeding off your replies.

The thread doesn't need to be locked, no rules are being violated (Unless I missed some personal attacks, and if I did, please use the Report function to draw attention to them). 

People who don't care about the topic simply need to stop replying to it, or even opening it.

I'm amazed I have to actually come here and spell this out for people, I thought everyone knew the best way to stop trolls is to ignore them.  Any replies just keeps fueling them.  It's very basic.

I don't think I'll ever be "posting to an empty void". @Jay are you calling me a troll?

On 10/16/2018 at 11:03 AM, Jay said:

If shitposting starts happening in the main Episode IX thread I'll just move it here

Do you consider my posts "shitposting"? Care to share your thoughts on TLJ... and the state of Star Wars, in general?

On 10/16/2018 at 11:20 AM, Iron_Giant said:

Disney/LFL is a business. They require customers' money to stay in business. Being rude or accusatory - or calling people names (like "manbabies" or "assholes") - is unprofessional and will turn many people off... some much so that they will cease all business with the company. Without enough revenue, those in charge of the business will be replaced. This is akin to a sports coach being fired after a disappointing season.

As for "breathtaking" double-standard, I'd say less than 0.001% of Star Wars customers/fans are "hurling insults" at Disney or Lucasfilm employees. The rest are just “concerned/upset” - many of which did not pay to see Solo... and will not pay to see Episode 9 unless things change.

This anger/concern among the fans is entirely the fault to Disney/Lucasfilm for making lazy, unimaginative, or divisive films... and then saying things like "We don't care. 🤷‍♂️"  This is not rocket science.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:51 AM, Demodex said:

I just want to see how many pages this thread can go with Mattris saying the same thing over and over and over again. 

I have many more things to say. Let's see if you can resist visiting this topic and replying to me.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:59 AM, Jay said:

Mark my words, a few of these films will make more money than Episode 9.

37 minutes ago, Mattris said:

While (generally) poorly executed, the prequels were written and directed by the creator of Star Wars... and had a planned-in-advance story to tell... and were well-intentioned - unlike TLJ.

I think Lucas's big mistake was writing and directing them himself.  He should have at least had someone else direct them like he did with ESB and ROTJ. Anyway, you didn't answer my question. Did you care that the prequels were being bashed?  Why or why not?

I still don't believe that TLJ was ill-intended. That makes no sense. 

Mark my words, a few of these films will make more money than Episode 9.

Those movies making money and Episode 9 being successful are not mutually exclusive. Episode 9 will still make a shit load of money. 

And if not, then as long as it's good then who cares?  Why do you care how much money Disney makes?

I have many more things to say. Let's see if you can resist visiting this topic and replying to me.

No you don't. You've been saying the same shit for 68 pages. 

I'll eventually get bored with this. I'm pretty close now. 

@Mattris I don't think anyone here or elsewhere thinks the filmmakers calling out 'manbabies' or 'assholes' is beneath them. In many instances, including a few of the comments you've supplied from other sites seem to fit those descriptors with flying colors. After firing Gunn, firing that writer whoever he was, distancing themselves from what they perceive are elememts detrimental to their business's image, do you think Disney would've done something to silence Johnson for him arguing with fans? No, probably not and that's because most of the time these 'assholes' and 'manbabies' are not worth their time. 

Urgh, anyway...

I expect Episode 9 to make healthy box-office returns, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the films Jay listed would surpass it. I don't think anyone said it was going to be #1...