Star Wars Disenchantment

John

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

WHAT!?!?!?! 50% of Star Wars fans will skip episode 9?!?!

Okay, alright alright, that is absurd and extremely stupid. Oh my God, at least I had a good laugh when I read it out to those around me!

I actually think this is entirely possible, but not because 50% of fans were pissed at TLJ. Think about it, how many older Star Wars fans probably just skip the cinema these days? Or never bothered with the new movies at all? Or don't watch movies much anymore, but still have fond memories of their childhoods and the original trilogy? Imagine that, Disney could be missing out on half the possible market while still making over a billion dollars per film!

Now, will 50% of young, internet-savvy fans skip Episode IX? Probably not. I probably will, but I expect many will go just to finish the trilogy.

Can you tell me what makes a Star Wars fan? Because I know some fans who hate TLJ like Mattris, some who love it, others who think it's okay, and those who couldn't give a rat's arse, and all those people consider themselves 'Star Wars Fans'...

Unless we can round up all these 'fans' and categorize them, I fail to see how it could be 50% or how anyone can make that claim without statistics.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Can you tell me what makes a Star Wars fan? Because I know some fans who hate TLJ like Mattris, some who love it, others who think it's okay, and those who couldn't give a rat's arse, and all those people consider themselves 'Star Wars Fans'...

Unless we can round up all these 'fans' and categorize them, I fail to see how it could be 50% or how anyone can make that claim without statistics.

According to the old adage, the customer is always right. Well, I was satisfied with the last two motion pictures (The Last Jedi and Solo), so if Lucasfilm follows the demands of those if Mattris' ilk, does that mean that I, and everyone who liked the movie, as customers are wrong?

I just can't parcel the paradox here.

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

so if Lucasfilm follows the demands of those if Mattris' ilk, does that mean that I, and everyone who liked the movie, as customers are wrong?

Yes!  This!  

Not all customers can be right!

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

According to the old adage, the customer is always right. Well, I was satisfied with the last two motion pictures (The Last Jedi and Solo), so if Lucasfilm follows the demands of those if Mattris' ilk, does that mean that I, and everyone who liked the movie, as customers are wrong?

Of course it does! But don't feel bad, we're all wrong about something.

24 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Yes!  This!  

Not all customers can be right!

Sorry to say, Demodex, but, those customers that are wrong are you. Every single human being on the planet who is considered a Star Wars fan or customer has been polled, and the majority hate Disney's handling of Star Wars. Again, I'm sorry, but you can't argue with objective facts!

1 minute ago, Muldoon said:

Of course it does! But don't feel bad, we're all wrong about something.

What about in the eyes of Disney and Lucasfilm?

14 minutes ago, Arpy said:

You're not a real Star Wars fan.

"A real Star Wars fan is what everyone else is and you are not." 

Honestly, I don't know if I'd be considered a real Star Wars fan: I like a few of the movies, a number of the scores, and some of the video games. What do I need to do to become a real Star Wars fan--of which Mattris clearly is?

After my second viewing of Solo, things are settling. Beckett is the best, although he's just Woody Harrelson in a Star Wars movie, Dryden Vos is cool enough, Enfys Nest is alright, the young Han isn't actually that bad, Lando is perfect, Qi'ra is more interesting second time around, Chewie is great, and that cameo is absolutely horrid. Only I could appreciate it, which is why it's so unnecessary.

Cameo? Ha yeah, the “big boss”... Usual Star Wars bullshit, like making Boba Fett the clone “model” in the prequels.

22 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Cameo? Ha yeah, the “big boss”... Usual Star Wars bullshit, like making Boba Fett the clone “model” in the prequels.

That was a good idea!

Just now, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

That was a good idea!

Com’on! I never understood the love for Boba Fett, what an insipid character.

2 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If you watch The Clone Wars though the Maul cameo makes perfect sense. Obviously though the casual moviegoers probably had no idea what the hell was going on there.

My friend recognized him, but had even forgotten that movie-wise he shouldn't be there, so it somehow was all good.

41 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Com’on! I never understood the love for Boba Fett, what an insipid character.

People love the image of Boba Fett and the other characters. To me Fett and Darth Vader err on the side of having no character - but awesome costumes. Of course Vader is developed over the course of the three films...

21 minutes ago, crumbs said:

At the pancake parlour it is. 

Pancake Parlour... you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy and dishes pancakes should never be paired with.

Star Trek is better. So is Titanic. And the Tim Burton Batman movies. And Masters of the Universe. And ID4. And Godzilla (1998). And the Spider-Man Trilogy. And Disneyland. And the E.T. ride.

19 minutes ago, John said:

Anyone else think that, aside from the original trilogy and the two sequel episodes, Star Wars is largely overrated?

Revenge of the Sith's alright, too.

18 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Star Trek is better. So is Titanic. And the Tim Burton Batman movies. And Masters of the Universe. And ID4. And Godzilla (1998). And the Spider-Man Trilogy. And Disneyland. And the E.T. ride.

Give me one more chance, Skellucas, and I will succeed.

TPM holds together as... a weird, boring mishmash of ideas that mostly resembles a movie. 

In ROTS, nothing makes any sense. Nothing any character does is in any way logical, and there’s zero subtext to anything that happens. It largely serves as a feature-length powerpoint presentation where everything from the prequels metamorphosizes into the way it is in the OT, no matter how misguided or shoehorned in it turns out.