Star Wars Disenchantment

John

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Any kid in particular ... ?

My son, of course. I was surprised he hadn't seen it already, him being a Star Wars fan and all. 

@The Illustrious Jerry That CNBC article was completely devoid of revenue figures proving that Disney has recouped its investment in Lucasfilm. It centered around one guy just saying "Disney has more than made back it's original investment." That is not proof.

The only Star Wars news I need to know is when I can see the next movie, when I can I get the OST, when the release date is and when can I see the trailer. Anything else I don't feel is necessary.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Show us your revenue figures then!

What?

8 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The only Star Wars news I need to know is when I can see the next movie, when I can I get the OST, when the release date is and when can I see the trailer. Anything else I don't feel is necessary.

What was the point of linking an unsubstantial article... and then posting a meme saying I was "WRONG" when I was, in fact, "RIGHT"?

Based on Solo utter failure and the online 'vibe', I would say that the current state of Disney Star Wars is disastrous. If JJ can't pull one of the best Star Wars films out of his ass, the entire trilogy will be a waste of time, money, and emotional investment for most of the fans.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That's a very healthy way of thinking.

That's the way they want you to think.

Just now, Mattris said:

What was the point of linking an unsubstantial article... and then posting a meme saying I was "WRONG" when I was, in fact, "RIGHT"?

I'm Jerry. Do my memes ever have a point? 

Besides, I didn't even link to the article.

2 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm Jerry. Do my memes ever have a point? 

Besides, I didn't even link to the article.

My mistake; it was @John that linked it. At least your meme was humorous, albeit incorrect.

4 minutes ago, Mattris said:

At least your meme was humorous...

I'm working on a memeography collection for all my memes. Great for the coffee table. For samples of what I've posted here you can always do a advanced search for all of the following search term words: Original meme Jerry.

Happy memeing!

The graph in that CNBC article showing the box office grosses for the films is a visual depiction of decline and failure.

After the ANH re-hash that was Episode 7, an original and enthralling Episode 8 could have made as much. Instead, it crapped on Luke Skywalker and broke the fandom.

The second spin-off film should have made as much as the first. Instead, it lost a fortune.

Disney/Lucasfilm are in dire straights with Star Wars. Taking into account only at the facts, how can anyone say otherwise?

Kathleen Kennedy's legacy is dependent on the reception of Episode 9. If it's a financial failure, expect massive changes at Lucasfilm.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

1/ when I can see the next movie,

2/ when I can I get the OST...

3/ when can I see the trailer.

1/ December 20th,

2/ December 18th (probably),

3/ Easter, next year, but there might just be a teaser with MARY POPPINS RETURNS.

31 minutes ago, Richard said:

1/ December 20th,

2/ December 18th (probably),

3/ Easter, next year, but there might just be a teaser with MARY POPPINS RETURNS.

Yeah, I kind of knew this, but thanks! :)

Of course Disney makes money off that stuff. Who else?

The problem is, book, comic and soundtrack sales are peanuts (comparative speaking) for Disney. Toy sales on the other hand are a crucial source of revenue (sometimes 2-3x the movie's gross), and those sales were down for TLJ. Adult collectors still may have some interest, but the appeal for kids has faded. Which is, er, bad.

If the Star Wars movies, TV series and other entertainment products don't make the kind of significant cultural impact Disney expects, then merchandise sales will suffer. Which is what's been happening and a big part of the problem. It also undermines the "TLJ was still financially successful" argument. People bought tickets, but after that interest either weined turned into hostility. Box office receipts are only one piece of the picture.

Hopefully they can turn the ship around with Episode IX.

Mattris is Mr. Plinkett, and all of us baiting him with facts and logic are Mike and Jay. Once he realizes that we’re using him for easy entertainment value, he’ll leave us and we’ll be out of business forever. 

30 minutes ago, John said:

Mattris is Mr. Plinkett, and all of us baiting him with facts and logic are Mike and Jay. Once he realizes that we’re using him for easy entertainment value, he’ll leave us and we’ll be out of business forever. 

I'm pretty sure both Mike and Susan were disappointed by the film.

1 hour ago, John said:

Mattris has brought you all the facts and arguments countless of times.

Sadly you still wear your pink glasses and fail to see the damage Disney has inflicted on Starwars since the Last Jedi debacle ...

25 minutes ago, SF1_freeze said:

Mattris has brought you all the facts and arguments countless of times.

Nah, all he’s done is regurgitate the same conspiracy theory crap ad infinitum, hoping to get a different reaction every time. 

25 minutes ago, SF1_freeze said:

Sadly you still wear your pink glasses and fail to see the damage Disney has inflicted on Starwars since the Last Jedi debacle ...

I mean, you can hate Disney and their management of Star Wars all you want (I think they’re doing a fine job), but you can’t say they ruined the franchise when the prequels already exist. 

13 hours ago, Demodex said:

Does Disney make money off of the books, comics, toys, soundtracks, etc?

If you factor all those in I bet they're doing fairly well financially in regards to Star Wars. 

Yeah, I don't believe that the books, comics, and scores are much in comparison to the box office. As @Nick1066 said, toy sales are dwindling (but hell they are dwindling from the ridiculous amount for TFA, so it's not as much but still a lot). Everyone will want to see IX, whether or not they liked TLJ. Bashers had no reason to want to see Solo I suppose. Their informed hateful outlook would have only dampened it even more than their boycotting. Bashers will not be able to resist IX though. Mattris himself has hinted that he might see IX if it were to "fix" TLJ. Maybe some just want to blow it to smithereens as well, some want to see a resolution, some actually care and want to watch with the same vigor with which the entered the previous two, some will watch because it'll be the biggest title coming out that December, and others will watch because it's a Friday night and they're bored. The idea is that "everyone" will go to see IX regardless of what they think about the trilogy at this point. It's the last movie in the saga, perhaps the last one before we really reach the tipping point. JJ is preparing the field, and the rain is going to come with ease. IX will be a financial success, maybe not quite at TFA's level, but it will show strength. 

All things will be fine.

All in good time.

Wait for Number Nine.

The books, comics, and scores sales are minuscule in comparison to the box office revenue. Toy/merchandise sales are dwindling, but Disney received that money regardless, as they have licensing deals worked out with those companies.

Everyone will want to see IX, whether or not they liked TLJ.  Don't be so sure. Some have disavowed Disney Star Wars completely. Many fans will not pay to see Episode IV in theaters. Some feel Disney/Lucasfilm doesn't deserve their money and plan to buy a ticket to another film and 'walk-in' to a Episode IX screening. The remaining fans (and general public) might see IX eventually - on RedBox, streaming, or second-hand Blu-ray/DVD.

Bashers had no reason to want to see Solo I suppose. Their informed hateful outlook would have only dampened it even more than their boycotting. "Bashers" had good reason to feel that way, as their informed hateful outlook is entirely justified.

Bashers will not be able to resist IX though. Mattris himself has hinted that he might see IX if it were to "fix" TLJ.  We'll see what happens. I'll waiting for reviews from people I trust. At this point, I can only hope JJ is allowed to do whatever he wants and is not constrained by Kathleen Kennedy or some agenda other than making a great Star Wars movie.

Some...

... just want to blow it to smithereens   Reviewers that can't wait to publicly bash the film account for less than 1% of the total revenue.

... want to see a resolution   Everyone wants this trilogy to end... for whatever reason.

... actually care and want to watch with the same vigor with which the entered the previous two ...  I'm confident this group is the minority of the fans.

... will watch because it'll be the biggest title coming out that December   Many of the general public will have no issue skipping Episode IX in theaters since the Episode VIII was so disappointing.

... will watch because it's a Friday night and they're bored.   Sure, but will bored people make the film profitable? I don't think so. I still predict that, unless something dramatic happens (KK and/or RJ fired, apologies from Disney/Lucasfilm for the accusations/insults directed at people, an utterly amazing IX), the film won't reach $1B worldwide.

The idea is that "everyone" will go to see IX regardless of what they think about the trilogy at this point.    I completely disagree for the reasons I've explained at length. Don't think for a second that people haven't caught on to the defiant, insulting film-makers and other Lucasfilm employees.

It's the last movie in the saga, perhaps the last one before we really reach the tipping point.   Tipping point? What do you think will happen with Star Wars after IX?

JJ is preparing the field, and the rain is going to come with ease. IX will be a financial success, maybe not quite at TFA's level, but it will show strength.   Story- and character-wise, what do you expect from IX? What would you consider a "financial success"? (Keep in mind that Disney/Lucasfilm will get ~60% of the box office gross.)

16 hours ago, John said:

Facts and logic like that nonsense CNBC article you linked? Once Bob Iger realizes that Kathleen Kennedy is incapable of running Lucasfilm, he’ll let her go and she’ll be out of our hair forever. 

14 hours ago, John said:

Nah, all he’s done is regurgitate the same conspiracy theory crap ad infinitum, hoping to get a different reaction every time. 

I mean, you can hate Disney and their management of Star Wars all you want (I think they’re doing a fine job), but you can’t say they ruined the franchise when the prequels already exist. 

So what's your assessment of the state of Lucasfilm and Star Wars? How are they "doing a fine job"? What do you make of the backlash and utter failure of Solo?

The prequel films were well-intentioned and made by the creator of Star Wars. They may have been disappointing to many fans - but did not 'ruin the franchise'. And George Lucas did not allow his employees to publicly insult people.

We have a over a year until Episode IX is released. I concede that many events can transpire between now and then. (Disney has yet to crank up the marketing machine for IX.) But I can tell you that A LOT of fans are majorly upset at what is happening to Star Wars. And that doesn't bode well for a franchise that should be printing money.

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

... will watch because it's a Friday night and they're bored.   Sure, but will bored people make the film profitable? I don't think so. I still predict that, unless something dramatic happens (KK and/or RJ fired, apologies from Disney/Lucasfilm for the accusations/insults directed at people, an utterly amazing IX), the film won't reach $1B worldwide.

Bored people (i.e. the general public) makes most of the revenue, in fact. Fans make a small precent of the overall income.

That being said, fans drive a lot of the online activity that helps generate buzz for a film, as well as word-of-mouth once it airs - so to disregard them alltogether would be a mistake, too.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Bored people (i.e. the general public) makes most of the revenue, in fact. Fans make a small precent of the overall income.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Fans want to see the films multiple times in theaters... and often drag their friends and family along with them. Fans buy the majority of merchandise, toys, clothing, scores, Blu-rays, etc. And there's the upcoming Disney video streaming service that will feature The Mandalorian live-action show. The (bored) general public might see a movie once... and that's pretty much it.

That being said, fans drive a lot of the online activity that helps generate buzz for a film, as well as word-of-mouth once it airs - so to disregard them alltogether would be a mistake, too.

Correct. You lose the fans, and those in charge lose their jobs. Make no mistake, Bob Iger is fully aware of the situation... and is doing everything he can to take the heat off of Kathleen Kennedy. Her contract extension was a public statement of 'confidence'... although curiously, it wasn't officially announced. Before that, Iger personally took the blame for Solo's failure, citing "too much" Star Wars as the culprit. But anyone with knowledge of this 'situation' knows that's not the case at all. TLJ badly broke the fandom and accusatory LFL employees only enraged fans further... who took it out on Solo, a mediocre film (at best) that featured an (unknown) actor that didn't sound or act like the Han Solo we know.

Careers rest on how Episode IX performs in theaters. Personally, I think it will be too little, too late. Most fans are underwhelmed or flat-out angry at what Star Wars (under Disney) has become... and don't want to support it on its currently trajectory. It's clear to me (and 'my side' of the fandom) that a changing of the guard is needed for this ship to be righted.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

J.J. Abrams seems to strike a harmonious chord with the audience so I say it's looking good for the next Star Wars.

Fans originally had hope for J.J. Abrams, but he delivered an obvious re-hash of the original Star Wars. (Star Trek fans aren't too happy with him, either.) After the travesty that was TLJ, what a mess he has to clean up. We'll see how things play out. But at this point, I can't even say I'm cautiously optimistic.

13 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Fans originally had hope for J.J. Abrams, but he delivered an obvious re-hash of the original Star Wars. (Star Trek fans aren't too happy with him, either.) After the travesty that was TLJ, what a mess he has to clean up. We'll see how things play out. But at this point, I can't say I'm even cautiously optimistic.

But his film was still entertaining as hell: well-performed, well-photographed with long-ish takes and dynamic lighting, clips along nicely - a damn good Star Wars film. His Star Trek films were alright, too.

If I share your lack of optimism for IX its not because of The Last Jedi (which I like) but simply because third entries don't have a good track record; plus we've had a change of director and writers, a minor casting crisis with the loss of Carrie Fisher, etcetra.

That has nothing to do with its financial performance, though: its going to be a box-office juggernaut. There's no point denying it.

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

Fans originally had hope for J.J. Abrams, but he delivered an obvious re-hash of the original Star Wars. 

Which didn't seem to bother many fans all that much. And those who did notice it (yes, not everyone thought it was a copy)  were quick to defend the film and speak only about the positive things, as if Star Wars is some kind of oxygen to them. Star Wars was not in a bad state when J.J was the director. Everyone had hope.

Have the thread locked because you don't like hearing what I have to say? As Jay said a few pages back, just don't come here!

Alternatively, you could debate me with facts, theories, and opinions. What have I said that you don't agree with?

Regardless, I will not "give it up, now" just because you want me to.

One the other hand, taking away this display of insanity from #unhinged mattriss probably means he will take a bus to Hollywood to make his anger known and god knows what harm he could carry. So leave it open.

46 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But his film was still entertaining as hell: well-performed, well-photographed with long-ish takes and dynamic lighting, clips along nicely - a damn good Star Wars film. His Star Trek films were alright, too.

If I share your lack of optimism for IX its not because of The Last Jedi (which I like) but simply because third entries don't have a good track record; plus we've had a change of director and writers, a minor casting crisis with the loss of Carrie Fisher, etcetra.

That has nothing to do with its financial performance, though: its going to be a box-office juggernaut. There's no point denying it.

TFA's cool factor soon wore-off. After TLJ, TFA is now meaningless to many.

The fact that Episode IX will be a 'third entry' does not concern me. I, like many fans, simply don't have confidence in the film-makers. Why should we?

I deny that IX will "be a box-office juggernaut". Unless KK and/or RJ are fired, a public apology is issued to the fans from Disney/Lucasfilm for the accusations/insults, and IX is generally received as satisfactory, I stand by my prediction that the film won't reach $1B worldwide. And if it matches TLJ's gross, I'll eat my hat.

45 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Which didn't seem to bother many the fans all that much. And those who did notice it (yes, not everyone thought it was a copy)  were quick to defend the film and speak only about the positive things, as if Star Wars is some kind of oxygen to them. Star Wars was not in a bad state when J.J was the director. Everyone had hope.

Those who noticed TFA was a re-hash of ANH were quick to defend the film and speak only about the positive things? You are simply incorrect about that. After the un-original story, the rather pitiful death of Han Solo, and lack of explanation regarding Rey ("when J.J was the director"), fans had reason to be wary with the series moving forward. Their worst fears were realized with TLJ. For many, hope is gone. The result is that Disney is missing out on billions in potential revenue. New blood is needed in leadership positions... ASAP.