Star Wars Disenchantment

John

I like the original Emperor in ESB; they’re low-budget 80s sci-fi movies, of course they’re bound to be a little rough around the edges. Never bothered me that he didn’t look exactly the same as he does in ROTJ. Adds to the trilogy’s hokey charm. 

28 minutes ago, Holko said:

if lit properly and if it looked like the RotJ Emperor, not the puffy plastic RotS one.

Yeah, he does look a bit different because its the prequel prosthetic and its shot on 1080p and digitally compositied-in. Previously - and throughout the film - composites were done by using a VistaVision dupe. So there's not that extra wash of grain (and in fact, there's no grain) on the composite, making it stand out. Its the same with Anakin's ghost.

But its still a good change, I think. The original version looks horrible.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The original version looks horrible.

You don't like the surreal-ass dream-looking figure with the deep booming Revill voice? Coupled with Williams' music, I love the bizarre and otherworldly tone and feel to the scene, and it's a much more creative way to cast a sense of mystery than, say, just shadowing out someone's forehead and eyes with a hood.

Hmmm, I don't think the xenomorph would do too well against Force users. Maybe set it up in an isolated penal colony...maybe a penal colony for Gungans....H.R. Geiger could only wish he would be able to construct the sheer terror that is a xenomorph assimilated and borne from the bowels of a Gungan.

Whoever wins, we lose.

There was a good Harry Potter fanfic years ago where xenomorphs infesting Hogwarts had magical powers if they burst from a witch or wizard. Draco was carrying a Queen and it "communicated" with him, almost like it was mentally prepping him for its birth.

It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling. I love democracy. I love the Republic. Once this crisis has abated, I will lay down the powers you have given me!

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Circles within circles! The Ring Theory checks out! 

Its like internet discussion on these films. It’s goes around and around and around and every time someone gives their view which has been done to death it’s presented as if it’s ground breaking brand new information! 

2 hours ago, John said:

...he didn’t look exactly the same as he does in ROTJ.

No wonder he didn't!

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

You don't like the surreal-ass dream-looking figure with the deep booming Revill voice? 

It might have been Revill's voice, but it certainly wasn't his face!

Just passing by to say that palatine did not know how to cheat death. Even if his master knew, he didn't. After killing mace windu he tells anakin that cheating death has only been achieved by one (plagueis) but that both of them together may unravel the mystery and achieve it....he received anakin to turn to the dark side it was a lie. Thus palpatine died...period.

Guys, the battle is over, the reboot of Angry Birds will dominate the box office. Followed by a reboot of Spider-Man which I hear they'll swap the gender, race and species of Peter Parker.

13 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Your fan fiction is interesting and i can appreciate your effort

Thanks. But it's not just my "fan fiction". It's my theory for what JJ has planned for IX. Why do I think this? Ian McDiarmid recently returned to voice Palpatine in the Star Wars animated show Rebels, replacing Lucasfilm's in-house voice actor. Along side Hayden Christensen, McDiarmid was a featured speaker at Star Wars Celebration 2017. Both received a extremely warm welcome by the fans in attendance.

3 hours ago, toothless said:

Is there any news buried within this mess of a thread ? 😅

McDiarmid has been confirmed as a speaker at Star Wars Celebration 2019.

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Just passing by to say that palatine did not know how to cheat death. Even if his master knew, he didn't. After killing mace windu he tells anakin that cheating death has only been achieved by one (plagueis) but that both of them together may unravel the mystery and achieve it....he received anakin to turn to the dark side it was a lie. Thus palpatine died...period.

That's just it: No one knows if Palpatine achieved the power to cheat death. He tempted Anakin to get him to turn to the Dark Side... and then lied to him (about Padme's death) to keep him continually hateful and suffering as Darth Vader. Is it so unbelievable that Palpatine knew he could cheat death... but only kept the power for himself?

Also, is it so surprising that one of the most liked - or at least most intriguing - scenes from the Prequel Trilogy directly foreshadows events to come?

Darth-Plagueis-1024x431.jpg

I think this is JJ Abrams' infamous "mystery box" at play. We haven't seen the last of Emperor Palpatine.

2 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Thanks. But it's not just my "fan fiction". It's my theory for what JJ has planned for IX. Why do I think this? Ian McDiarmid recently returned to voice Palpatine in the Star Wars animated show Rebels, replacing Lucasfilm's in-house voice actor. Along side Hayden Christensen, McDiarmid was a featured speaker at Star Wars Celebration 2017. Both received a extremely warm welcome by the fans in attendance. 

McDiarmid has been confirmed as a speaker at Star Wars Celebration 2019.

First of all, that actor was Ian Abercrombie, who passed away a few years ago, so he couldn't return to do the voice.

Also Ian McDiarmid is a speaker at Celebration (and other cons) almost every year.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

As I understand it, the power is question has to do with keeping one from dying of old age or illness. Not from being thrown down an impossibly-deep shaft.

Why would the power be limited to just preventing death from old age or illness? Palpatine fell for only a few seconds before the blue explosion happened. Perhaps that explosion was Palpatine transferring his life force out of his body.

12 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I may be mistaken, but I don't seem to recall anything in the previous film to suggest that using The Force is predicated upon lineage: Its only that Luke's lineage is particularly "strong with the Force." So there's no reason to question why The Force awoke in Rey. There may be cause to question why she's so bloody powerful, I'll grant you.

Rey is the trilogy's protagonist. So of course, "there may be cause to question why she's so bloody powerful." But why did the Force awaken in her, specifically? What was the "Contingency" that Palpatine arranged on Jakuu if it wasn't related to Rey?