Star Wars Disenchantment

John

1 minute ago, John said:

Just wait until the first trailer drops during SWC this month... the hype will go through the roof. 

Amongst 40 year old bearded men dressed as wizards waving kids toys in the air, yes. Not for the general public. And the general public said "nope" to the last Star Wars film. 

15 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Again, where is the investment in the new trilogy going forward. TLJ has gotten more hate every day since it came out. Literally everyone I know, whether friends and family, or online contacts, ALL hated it and didn't see Solo and are not interested in Ep9.

I didn't say it wouldn't be a success. I just predict another dropoff. And may not reach a billion. 

Again, I think you're romanticizing the consequences of the TLJ backlash. If anything, it's just free publicity for the next one really.

This isn't like the Hobbit films, where the general decline in quality of the films translated in general apathy towards them in the public, and even then they all crossed the billion dollar mark. TLJ appears to hotly divide audiences, which means people, or fans rather, care. Extreme love and extreme hate are usually good things for a beloved franchise. I mean, it's got you guys pages rambling for 100 pages about how much you hate SW, no? You're essentially feeding into machine. It's the same reason why people will line up to see the next film, either out of genuine love/curiosity for the story/characters, or to see if their perceived faults of TLJ have been addressed or just to watch the tent-pole blockbuster of the season.

IX will cross the billion mark. It might not make as much as TFA, and definitely won't make as much as the final Avengers flick, but it will do well.

And before you bring up Solo again, that film's failure has more to do with its own faults in pre-production and design than it does TLJ. That and general SW saturation (a few months following the last one was never a good idea). It'll be a year and a half between Solo and IX. The latter will be fine.

7 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Amongst 40 year old bearded men dressed as wizards waving kids toys in the air, yes. Not for the general public. And the general public said "nope" to the last Star Wars film. 

The general public won't care. They'll run to see whatever's the next new shiny thing running in the theaters. SW will be the new must-have toy to buy for December. 

These are just movies people. Contrary to popular fanboy belief, there aren't really any staunch moral principles the general masses have with these things...

9 minutes ago, KK said:

Again, I think you're romanticizing 

The general public won't care. They'll run to see whatever's the next new shiny thing running in the theaters. SW will be the new must-have toy to buy for December. 

These are just movies people. Contrary to popular fanboy belief, there aren't really any staunch moral principles the general masses have with these things...

You're contradicting yourself. They didn't run to see the next shiny thing in theatres because Solo (a literal star wars film) utterly bombed.  So clearly the general masses did have moral principals on it because they saw it advertised and said "no, I'm not interested."

Just now, KK said:

Typical social media bandwagoning. Like how when it became popular to down-vote mother! as one of worst films ever made... :rolleyes: RT lost its relevance as an indicator of quality long ago.

And the public has a notoriously short-lived memory about these things. Many of the people who read those click-bait RT rating headlines will be sitting in theaters opening weekend for IX.

Seriously, people don't really care...

So why isn't solo's score really low then? And why isn't Rogue one and TFA low then. Strange that mmm...

6 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

You're contradicting yourself. They didn't run to see the next shiny thing in theatres because Solo (a literal star wars film) utterly bombed.  So clearly the general masses did have moral principals on it because they saw it advertised and said "no, I'm not interested."

Or you're not reading everything I said.

A big problem with Solo was what I, and probably many others, saw coming long before TFA came out, when Disney had their massive plan of release 1+ SW films a year. That kind of saturation, all dealing with the same pool of characters, will exhaust itself upon an audience regardless of the quality of the films. 

Coming 5 months off the exhausting press of TLJ, with a spin-off story that nobody really cares for, that already had problematic press of its own and crummy marketing...it was doomed from the start.

Or like I said...

16 minutes ago, KK said:

That and general SW saturation (a few months following the last one was never a good idea). It'll be a year and a half between Solo and IX. The latter will be fine.

- KK, now officially drawn into a SW Disenchantment Thread "debate", is living his worst nightmare...

People love to use the excuse that the negative reaction from fans is just trolls and they all want to troll star wars because they're evil nasty people. Blah blah blah. But why is TLJ the ONLY star wars film with a rotten rating from fans? Is it perhaps because it's a terrible film that made fans lose their devotion to star wars and thus their overall interest. Which then caused Solo to bomb and will cause Ep9 to do less business as well.

4 minutes ago, KK said:

Or you're not reading everything I'm said.

A big problem with Solo was what I, and probably many others, saw coming long before TFA came out, when Disney had their massive plan of release 1+ SW films a year. That kind of saturation, all dealing with the same pool of characters, will exhaust itself upon an audience regardless of the quality of the films. 

Marvel released two films a matter of a month apart and both grossed way over a billion. That point is invalid.

4 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Marvel released two films a matter of a month apart and both grossed way over a billion. That point is invalid.

Marvel is totally different to Star Wars.

Marvel always was an anthology.

Star Wars is a cycle, which as of late has been (unsuccesfully) dabbling in anthological entries.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Terrible film my ass. It had flaws like every film ever and didn't do exactly what you wanted.

I didn't go in wanting anything other than a good film. But now we see the real reason why you're arguing my valid points. You are a fan of TLJ.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Marvel is totally different to Star Wars.

Marvel always was an anthology. Star Wars is a cycle, which as of late has been (unsuccesfully) dabbling in anthological entries.

Nope. Marvel proves that if you make good films then people will watch and like. Star wars just doesn't make good films. 

6 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Sigh.

Disney clearly thought the Marvel formula could work SW, but it doesn't for a number of reasons. Probably having to do with a number of things including "small-universe syndrome", or that its secondary characters don't really have the scope for story-telling, or unique personality in narrative that a million different super-heroes with a million different origin stories would. It's the same reason why a massive expanded SW comic book franchise would never sell as well as Marvel. That and the fact that Marvel's universe has a longer and more complicated history with its fanbase (long before the genesis of the films), and it's "cinematic universe" was much more meticulously planned as a business model than SW was. Yada yada, one could go on...

So no, I don't think that point is invalid. I do think you're pulling out false equivalencies out of your ass though.

Just now, John said:

Most people are. 

Is that most of the world? Or most star wars fans? Because the evidence is clear that both are untrue.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

Sigh.

Disney clearly thought the Marvel formula could work SW, but it doesn't for a number of reasons. Probably having to do with a number of things including "small-universe syndrome", or that its secondary characters don't really have the scope for story-telling, or unique personality in narrative that a million different super-heroes with a million different origin stories would. It's the same reason why a massive expanded SW comic book franchise would never sell as well as Marvel. That and the fact that Marvel's universe has a longer and more complicated history with its fanbase (long before the genesis of the films), and it's "cinematic universe" was much more meticulously planned as a business model than SW was. Yada yada, one could go on...

So no, I don't think that point is invalid. I do think you're pulling out false equivalencies out of your ass though.

Nope. If you make a good film, people will turn up. If you don't they wont. The latter is what is happening with Star wars. 

2 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Nope. If you make a good film, people will turn up. If you don't they wont.

That, has rarely, if ever, been true...

Riiiiiiight. So do you think then that Marvel after 20+ films, they grossed 2 billion with Infinity War because it was just good strategy? Or is it perhaps because the Marvel films are good overall and have kept people interested with good films? Disney Star wars bombed after 3 films because it was terrible and no one could be bothered to see the next.

Your argument that all it takes is a good film to bring in audiences is indeed flawed.

Marvel films are decent, some good, but all generally safe. They're huge properties because Marvel is brilliantly strategic in how it casts, plots and models each film after the other to cater to public stimulus.

None of the SW films are actually bad (I haven't seen Solo, but I've been told it's solid). 

Quality has little to do with box office numbers when it comes to big franchises (unless you're truly making giant turds, a la DC).

If you don't think TLJ is bad, then there is no hope for you. It is catestrophically bad in every way of writing possible. 

But let's end it here then because we clearly don't agree and my fingers hurt. 

My predictions for ep9: It will be critically acclaimed by critics who like to stay in Disney's good graces. But it will be hated overall by fans and be reviewed even lower than TLJ. It will gross less than TLJ.

You haven't seen many films then, certainly not Star Wars ones, you'd have had your expectations in check then.

5 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

but just 5 minutes of thinking about the writing and you'll see how much of a joke it is.

8 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

If you don't think TLJ is bad, then there is no hope for you.

IMBd (451,739 voters) : 7.2/10

Metacrtic: 85%

I thought the hatred towards this movie would be much greater. 

24 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Nope TLJ is one of the worst written films I've ever seen. There are more writing problems than I could possibly count. Rather pathetic that it was ever made with that script.

I didn't give it that much thought because it's Star Wars, but that one certainly didn't leave any impression on me. I won't say I didn't care as much as I didn't when I fell asleep during Rogue One, but even TFA at least had me interested in something that was happening, even if I was already burnt out on the whole Star Wars thing.

"T minus: 10 minutes."

"Mother! MOTHERRRRR!!!!!

The Last Jedi was a stain on the rich cinematic and cultural legacy of Star Wars, which has upset the majority of those who consider themselves Star Wars fans, and this will lead to a revolt against Disney's asinine handling of the series and topple the empire, because as angry fans we want to honor the spirit of the original and rebel against true evil we see in our lives, and The Last Jedi was clearly a societal evil that has poisoned the minds of unfortunate, mentally weak people who accept whatever shiny slop is thrown to them, and we need to protect our next generation from this tragic pox on humanity, but it's okay, because we who know better are super geniuses who have the supernatural power of foresight and keen social insight and perception, we're like Jedi in that way."

"...T minus: 10 seconds."

11 minutes ago, John said:

In space, no one can hear you complain about Star Wars. 

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

It will come as no surprise that I estimate, for the majority of Star Wars fans, most of TLJ's subversions resulted in a negative reaction.

It will come as no surprise that I estimate, for the majority of Star Wars fans, most of TLJ's subversion resulted in a neutral or positive reaction. 

14 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Of course they can!

Very relaxing. Might put this on my phone as I try to go to sleep tonight.