Star Wars Disenchantment

John

This nicely describes the TLJ apologists in this thread.

But hey, let's all be happy that it's Star Wars Celebration right now guys!!! I hope we get a sneak peak into the dumpster fire that will be ep9 :)

D2vqQRcWwAESvkx.jpeg.jpg

2 minutes ago, dougie said:

I was never interested in Star Wars until Disney bought it. Too nerdy for me.

It's completely possible to like Star Wars without being nerdy. Star Trek on the other hand...

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I never went near it, either, until 2015.

Didn't you watch the OT, containing some of JW's best scores, before 2015?!?

Nope.

The only things I knew about Star Wars in my youth was the iconography of lightsabers, Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, the name Skywalker, the main theme, the Imperial March and the line "No, I am your father."

These films were never a thing in my country.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

STOP.WRITING.THE.FILM.FOR.THE.FILMMAKERS.

If you have to keep saying the same thing over and over, it probably just means people don't agree with what you're saying. 

28 minutes ago, Fargo said:

If you have to keep saying the same thing over and over, it probably just means people don't agree with what you're saying. 

Nope, it means people are not intelligent enough to understand, or refuse to because of their biases.

19 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Nope, it means people are not intelligent enough to understand, or refuse to because of their biases.

Ah, sir, you are a true connoisseur of intellectualism. 

53 minutes ago, Fargo said:

There was no collusion.

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

TFA screwed it all up as well, of course. Why the hell didn't Anakin (who was shown to be able to be a force ghost) just show up to Kylo and say "dude, stop. I wasn't evil in the end. I sacrificed myself for Luke and destroyed the Sith. Stop being a dick already."

Probably because the image of Vader is from the point of view of someone who idolized him in a time of confusion and self doubt. He probably latched onto this familial connection as a conviction in setting his path straight again - which was also being shaped by Snoke. Having trained under Luke, then having that trust and respect shattered, he turned to his darker past and found Vader as a kindred spirit.

I also got the sense that perhaps having Anakin's presence after his death might've weakened his character in some way as we never really have a moment outside of perhaps him leaving his mother and her death later on where we are supposed to have any attachment to him. It would've been too little too late.

Having Kylo idolize him and pray to his ruined helmet is also a neat way of having him idolize Anakin's past rather than his eventual redemption.

At the end of the day, perhaps it's laziness on the part of the writers, or perhaps it's the strange nature of force ghosts, who like biblical figures, only choose to show up at their convenience for the sake of exposition or plot development.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

This nicely describes the TLJ apologists in this thread.

But hey, let's all be happy that it's Star Wars Celebration right now guys!!! I hope we get a sneak peak into the dumpster fire that will be ep9 :)

D2vqQRcWwAESvkx.jpeg.jpg

You've become a parody of @Mattris 

57 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Probably because the image of Vader is from the point of view of someone who idolized him in a time of confusion and self doubt. He probably latched onto this familial connection as a conviction in setting his path straight again - which was also being shaped by Snoke. Having trained under Luke, then having that trust and respect shattered, he turned to his darker past and found Vader as a kindred spirit.

I also got the sense that perhaps having Anakin's presence after his death might've weakened his character in some way as we never really have a moment outside of perhaps him leaving his mother and her death later on where we are supposed to have any attachment to him. It would've been too little too late.

Having Kylo idolize him and pray to his ruined helmet is also a neat way of having him idolize Anakin's past rather than his eventual redemption.

At the end of the day, perhaps it's laziness on the part of the writers, or perhaps it's the strange nature of force ghosts, who like biblical figures, only choose to show up at their convenience for the sake of exposition or plot development.

Stop writing for the filmmakers.

9 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Stop writing for the filmmakers.

5 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Classic case of writing the film for the filmmakers. Stop apologising for their failures.

Again, you're writing the film for the filmmakers. 

STOP.WRITING.THE.FILM.FOR.THE.FILMMAKERS.

Why are you doing this

6 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Why are you doing this

Because people keep making excuses for plot holes or writing inconsistency and narrative contradictions. If it's not in the film, then it didn't happen, but people love inventing things to explain away bad writing. They are essentially writing the film for the people who failed at writing it themselves.

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

Damn. I missed the last 3 pages of this thread yesterday. Summary?

Yeah.  I missed three pages just in a few hours.

What was Mattris' actual theory btw? That Rey would turn to the Dark side by the end? 

Some of us have been willing that to happen since TFA. I remember discussing it on here, while Mattris was still swimmin' around his dads balls. 

I still don't think Disney has the balls themselves to do it, mind.