Star Wars Disenchantment

John

That's how I remember it too. I just think some people can't help but think intensely about simplistic things, even where where the content doesn't support such a degree of scrutiny.

Alternately, just should stop watching the same shit again and again and again (i saw ROTJ the last time me and some pals went to these 1997 cinema re-releases and we all found the rose was off).

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

That's how I remember it too. I just think some people can't help but think intensely about simplistic things, even where where the content doesn't support such a degree of scrutiny.

They kiss in the first 2 films, man!

34 minutes ago, Holko said:

No, it's the one with the most heart from the prequels.

Revenge of the Sith has the Palpatine/Anakin dynamic.

It shouldn't be identifiable, but through the sheer will-power of Ian McDiarmid it just is.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

The first movie is always the best one!

True, except for the Terminator series, of course.

Of course ...

The essence of the storytelling had to be sacrificed for the limits of technology. George had very specific shots that he wanted to be able to achieve, but it was extremely difficult to do that with models on wires.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The first movie is always the best one!

Its a matter of preference, really.

Some people just like the establishing film the most in almost any series. Because, when first seeing the film (having not seen any sequel but knowing that there are some), one can only imagine as to the content of sequels, it gives the film a sense of expanse, as though the story extends beyond the runtime of the piece.

I often like the bridging film/s the best. They're often free from the need to start the story from scratch, and from reaching a full resolution, and as a result they're often the most dynamic and kinetic of the bunch (Empire Strikes Back being the epitome of this). In the rare instances in which the concluding piece fully sticks the landing, its my favourite. After all, what gives meaning to a story if not its climax?

On 4/19/2019 at 11:18 PM, Stefancos said:

It never felt natural or logical to me.

Going into Jedi, I always thought Vader was lying and Luke’s dad was still alive and only Yoda knew that, hence the “no there is another” line that made it seem like obi-wan didn’t know as well. Or there would be a new character introduced in Jedi that was a sibling. 

I also thought Han would kill Jaba and convince the smugglers, which we never saw, to join the fight against the Empire. Giving the final battle more oomph, instead of little furry creatures running around.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:23 PM, Stefancos said:

And the acting by Hamill and Fisher is pretty awful.

Well Fisher was probably zonked out on drugs during most of Jedi, her acting and her sudden raspy voice sure feels like it. 

Ford’s jealousy after Luke reveals his news to Leia is just as bad. 

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Lando, a dull character compared to what he was in TESB.

He never should have told anyone about his little maneuver at the battle of Tanaab.

What do you think about the latest news cropping up? That “George Lucas helped finish The Rise of Skywalker”, or more specifically (courtesy of IGN):

We had conversations amongst ourselves, we met with George Lucas before writing the script.” / J. J. Abrams

Seems very vague. It seems to me a kind of preemptive damage control. In case fans doesn’t like the movie, as happened with TLJ, Disney are able to say: “Hey! It’s not our fault! Look! The original creator helped! You liked the original trilogy, right? Well... then you should like this as well! If you don’t - well, that’s up to you, not us.”

On 4/19/2019 at 11:23 PM, Stefancos said:

And the acting by Hamill is pretty awful.

Its even worse in TLJ

22 minutes ago, rough cut said:

It seems to me a kind of preemptive damage control. In case fans doesn’t like the movie, as happened with TLJ, Disney are able to say: “Hey! It’s not our fault! Look! The original creator helped! You liked the original trilogy, right? Well... then you should like this as well! If you don’t - well, that’s up to you, not us.”

Yeah. But, on the other hand, bringing back The Emperor (although I still think he will not actually appear) sounds more like a Lucas thing than an Abrams thing.

On 4/18/2019 at 3:07 AM, Ghostbusters II said:

PSX_20190417_100641.jpg

The last one was like, uh. I was amazed about it, uh, how you could make out of half of a movie a finale. You know, it's pretty much like the longest showdown ever in movie history. It goes on for an hour and it works.

Hehehe

I could never understand what the fuck he was rambling about there.

I'm with James Cameron on the point that at least the Prequels were imaginative and had weird, yet stylized designs. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/natalie-portman-star-wars-backlash-bummer-1202131095/

I love reading these little tidbits from the actors, especially interesting because these films were what got actors like Portman started.