Star Wars Disenchantment

John

It is still the best post in this thread, and, if I take it at face value, possibly the only time me and Stefan will ever agree.

If we ignore the fact that he was ironic, that is. 😂😂😂

Our film does everything from the highest tech, digitally animated, digitally composit CGI shot, to little models on wires in front of photo backing. And everything in between! It goes from great exterior locations, we shot on the Bonneville Salt Flats with spectacular views where we had 170 trailers racing across the desert to these enormous sets we built here at Hughes Aircraft.

10 minutes ago, Larry O said:

.... to making their own ugly special editions of things. 

You callin’ Harmy’s transcendent “despecialized” fanedits ugly?

The colours are not always great and the frankensteined nature shows a lot.

Go Team Negative 1 (4k77, 4k83) and never look back.

48 minutes ago, John said:

You callin’ Harmy’s transcendent “despecialized” fanedits ugly?

look at the video quoted. 

Why would you think I was referencing a completely different set of videos whose whole point is to restore a theatrical edit? 

I'm confused as to why you would think I was talking about the despecialized editions when I mention "ugly special edition." they're called DE-SPECIALIZED.

But yes, I prefer the film scan approach to fan preservation. 

Anyway, the point was haughty know-it-all fans became a real pain in the neck as a response to the Special Editions, and now we're at the point where they're basically making their own Special Editions, and they're inevitably worse. You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain, basically. 

Instead of remaking West Side Story, Spielberg should remake the PT. Lucas could produce if he’d want, he likes messing around with his old stuff.

Update the VFX, tighten up the story, highlight the drama, focus on the smaller, personal stories and let the big political developments happen in the background.

Only question is... should JW write a new soundtrack???

6 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Instead of remaking West Side Story, Spielberg should remake the PT. Lucas could produce if he’d want, he likes messing around with his old stuff.

Update the VFX, tighten up the story, highlight the drama, focus on the smaller, personal stories and let the big political developments happen in the background.

Only question is... should JW write a new soundtrack???

Just....no!

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:03 PM, Holko said:

Adywan is pretty damn good.

I saw bits and pieces of both ANH & TESB but not the entirety unfortunately.

:(

But its still not the original theatrical presentation.

Its nuts that the director/producer practically assassinated his own film.

2 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Soon you’ll tell me there’s a fan edit of The Phantom Menace that edits out all the stupid bits!

The Phantom Menace was also revised between editions! It deserves a proper presentation in its original form.

On principal, any film should be available in the earliest form in which it was commercially shown.

Mos Eisley is much cooler in the Special Edition and actually feels like a spaceport. Bespin isn't just the same hallway over and over again. The Dewbacks actually move. The SEs are an improvement.

15 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Bespin isn't just the same hallway over and over again.

For sure. I don't mind tweaked versions as a concept: Sir Ridley Scott basically built a career off of those. But the original theatrical cut of any one of his films is readily available, untouched. That's how you do it!

Only way to see ANH & TESB is to contact Adywan directly? Sorry folks would love to see both of his renditions but I couldn't find it via Google. :unsure:

1 hour ago, shockwave said:

Only way to see ANH & TESB is to contact Adywan directly? Sorry folks would love to see both of his renditions but I couldn't find it via Google. :unsure:

You can't just find them via Google typically. You need to know where to look. The 4K projects are more readily available, and I would recommend those over Harmy's or Adywan's edits. I'm slowly working on Project 4K05 myself.

It's also funny how secretive and weird all these fan-editors/restorers are about their stuff. They act like if they make the stuff available on forums they'll get arrested or whatever. Lucasfilm knows they're doing this. It's not a secret. They know exactly who all these people are and where they're making all this stuff available. The only people being inconvenienced by all these hoops the "community" is making everyone jump through are the people who would like to watch them. 

Almost all the edits and restorations you'd ever want to see are padlocked behind a private torrent tracker whose owners havent let anyone new access it in almost five years, I think. You have people spending thousands of dollars (and in Adywan's case, a full decade of his life) to make these things, and of course they're slapping their own names in the credits because why wouldn't they, of course someone who wants the uncut unaltered theatrical versions would love a tacky intro screen and altered credits - the whole point of these things is for fans to see them, and they refuse to actually make them available to anyone outside the same 50 folks on their 1 torrent tracker because they think Lucasfilm doesn't know who they all are already and couldn't bust them all this second if they actually cared that much. 

But they don't care! They really don't. So long as nobody tries to sell them, nobody cares. So far as almost anyone else is concerned, the entire scene is like a couple thousand weird old men with a very specific hangup they can't get past.