Star Wars Disenchantment

John

I just wanted to let you guys know that after watching the Prequels again, I've found them to be good. Objectively they're good films, and no one here can give me any examples of why they're bad. You're wrong, you can keep saying how bad and poorly written they were, but you're arguing against the facts:

• The CGI - we have never seen any examples of CGI before that were worth a damn. The Phatom Menace had CGI in almost every shot - a masterstroke.
  • Haden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker gave a fully immersive and engaging performance, and if you think he was 'wooden' well that's just objectively wrong. It's the way Lucas wanted it and us Star Wars fans were given a performance of a lifetime that made generations of children want to dress up like burnt-Mustafar Anakin and wince at dreaded sand.
  • The revenue the films generated was unparalleled and statistically speaking, they're objectively highly grossing films. That's why they're so good, because they made a shit tonne of money. Objective money.
  • People complaining about Queen Amidala, the Gungans, Jar Jar Binks, the "boring" Jedi, the extensive lightsaber duels don't understand that Lucas was trying to create a diverse film ahead of its time in terms of presenting racially diverse casts and addressing racism - i.e. The Republic aiding the Gungans. This is all objective. You simply are arguing against incontrovertible facts.

Look, you can give good subjective opinions about why you have grievances with the Prequels, but you're fighting a losing battle because objectively they're masterful films that will go down in history, and box-office history as some of the greatest films of all time, up there with Citizen Kane, King Arthur The Legend of the Sword, Battleship, Disney's Planes and The Emoji Movie.

Chuck Wendig

Chuck Wendig Fired From Marvel and Star Wars

It was too much politics, too much vulgarity, too much negativity on my part.

— Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig) October 12, 2018

Basically, because I was not civil.

Excepts immediately before that:

And I was worried of course because, jeez, I thought I had screwed up. I wondered for a time if the book was bad. But then it hit list and stayed on list for four weeks – and the next two books hit list, too, and EMPIRE’S END landed even higher on the list than the first book.

And privately, I was told by folks inside LFL that there was no worry here, that they valued that I spoke out both speaking up for myself and for STAR WARS, which has always honestly been a progressive brand and company.

And it made me very proud to work for them, too, not just because — holy hell, basking in the glow of STAR WARS, but because the people were great, and they totally got it.

Chuck Wendig

"help I fell down a weird rabbit hole of shitty Star Wars fans

oh my god these people"

Chuck Wendig  

"A movie also never *succeeds* because of its fans, because most moviegoers -- the ones who form the bulk of the moviegoing public, the ones who buy most of the tickets -- don't give a great honking shit about most of this stuff."

Chuck Wendig  

"Their names change -- MRA, incel, gamer-gate, comics-gate, sad puppies, Real Star Wars fans -- but at the heart of it is the same fragile rage born of the poisonous chemical combination of white supremacy and toxic masculinity."

Chuck Wendig  

"Writers are not your dancing monkeys. We do not create products. You are not our customers."

Welcome to my TED Talk.

Chuck Wendig
Chuck Wendig

"MONDAY. The world is strange, gone mad, and we need you. We need your heart, your fight, your spirit. We need your voice, your ideas, your love. We need the fire you breathe, the passion in your blood, also I need to borrow your truck and a shovel because I have some bodies here"

Just like firing Gunn from Guardians of the Galaxy 3, this is another example of Disney trying to save face. You know what, just because Disney has these uber-authoritarian practices, it doesn't impact my enjoyment of their products or the SW films. It does however just reaffirm the corporate power of the company to quash free speech, but they are well within their rights to fire any of their employees who they believe don't share their beliefs and opinions.

4 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

It's just too much politics. It's too much compromise...

Probably best. It'll be all business and politics, that sort of thing-- Wouldn't interest you.

But Drax, good of you to come. 

I was just reading further into the Twitter threads this guy's created regarding some recent developments in US federal politics - jeez, he's unhinged! It looks like he's spat the dummy more than once. Just sounds like a completely unpleasant person. I'd have sacked him too.

Am I supposed to like TLJ less now because of Chuck Wendig?

I don't care what he posted on Twitter. If he was attacking right wing nut jobs then all the better.  I wouldn't fire him for that!

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

Only exceptionally sad individuals celebrate when someone loses their job.

I disagree. This man is clearly an asshole and he deserved it.

3 hours ago, Demodex said:

Am I supposed to like TLJ less now because of Chuck Wendig?

Not necessarily. TLJ can be judged solely on its own merits or lack thereof; no need to bring this moron into it.

26 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Because I don't think or care that much about "the state of Star Wars". I watched a film that I like and I'm looking forward to the next one, which I may or may not like, but ultimately it won't affect my life either way because it doesn't really matter. I have my beliefs and convictions, but I'm not gonna die on a hill over stories about space wizards and laser swords. You could consider worrying less about what other people think about what is ultimately entertainment. It's not worth the mental strain.

Agreed, on every point.

Aka: it's only a fucking movie.

I'm going to take a slightly different approach to Mattris's question. I think we can all ultimately agree these are fantasy films, they're entertainment, but the pop cultural status of these films, just like certain television series have since garnered, that audiences are extremely invested in, emotionally so has had an extraordinary impact on people's lives. In this regard I can understand Mattris's concerns as obviously Star Wars is something of a religious cornerstone for him, something he has become emotionally invested in and defensive of. This doesn't mean that his position isn't automatically compromised, it is, it means that no answer here is going to convince him, or sway his beliefs to understanding why others think differently to him. Either he has failed to distinguish fact from opinion, or he's a troll - he could be both for all I know...

Now, Mattris's question on face value is vague, dismissive and a shirking of the burden of proof; 'why do you like it when others hate it?'

I don't have to give an answer to that and nor does anyone else here.

How many opinions must we share in order for Mattris to be satisfied? That's what all this goes back to and boils down to: opinions. 

I don't necessarily think the criticism of The Last Jedi can be split into distinct 'camps', rather there's an obvious vocal component who opines negativity and they have every right to do so. Could you get all these people into one place, or on the same page - because obviously there's a variety of negative criticism that has this toxic element, to those who were pissed over Leia flying and everything in between...

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Wrong!

10 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I think we can all ultimately agree these are fantasy films, they're entertainment,

Wrong again!

Star Wars films used to be escapist cinema. But nowadays they are part of the socio/political battlefield!

52 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Star Wars films used to be escapist cinema. But nowadays they are part of the socio/political battlefield!

Steef, it's only a "socio/political battlefield" if one chooses to enter it. I choose not to. I don't give two shits about all the posturing behind the scenes. I judge any film by what I see in front of me. I either like, or I don't.

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

Steef, it's only a "socio/political battlefield" if one chooses to enter it. I choose not to. I don't give two shits about all the posturing behind the scenes. I judge any film by what I see in front of me. I either like, or I don't.

The makers can drag you into their socio/political stuff if they decide to be really on the nose with their beliefs by injecting it into the work. So far, I don't think that's really happened yet in SW land. But it has in Ghostbusters land, and I think that's what SW fans would rather avoid.

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

Bloody Trotskyist!

6 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Because I don't think or care that much about "the state of Star Wars". I watched a film that I like and I'm looking forward to the next one, which I may or may not like, but ultimately it won't affect my life either way because it doesn't really matter. I have my beliefs and convictions, but I'm not gonna die on a hill over stories about space wizards and laser swords. You could consider worrying less about what other people think about what is ultimately entertainment. It's not worth the mental strain.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Agreed, on every point.

Wouldn't you like all Star Wars films...

... to be written and made by the most competent and skilled people in the world

... to include intriguing new characters and dramatic plots

... to exceed your expectations

... to entertain and please the vast majority of fans and the general public?

I'm sure Disney's high-ups and shareholders would. Given the company's vast capabilities and deep pockets, there is no reason they couldn't do this. But clearly, they aren't doing it. Why is that? This shouldn't be complicated. All they need is the interest and passion for the universe. Disney has a winning lottery ticket. But with the last two films and subsequent behavior of their employees, they seem determined to make Star Wars a political propaganda megaphone - so much so they they've lost focus on what made the franchise great in the first place: the universe, the mythology, the characters, 40 years of history, and the fans: men and women from all around the world, from every type of background... that want to love it.

But the perception of a significant portion of the fans is that these films are, in general, lazy and uninspired. Most people will not praise them overall because of their high production values... or a few good lines, scenes, or characters... or the Star Wars licence, in general.

Others go a step further and have thought out things a bit more. They've concluded that the film-makers and owners of the IP are generally unappreciative and on a selfish endevour: an attempt to change hearts and minds by changing Star Wars. Prominent social identity elements seem to take priority over the story and characters. To them, Disney has lost the plot. And in doing so, have lost their business.

I'm not asking you to "die on a hill" for Star Wars. But Star Wars is capable of breaking cultural boundaries and taking escapism to heights never thought possible. Star Wars should be made to be enjoyed by everyone. Anyone dismissing it as just "stories about space wizards and laser swords" is being disingenuous.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

I'm going to take a slightly different approach to Mattris's question. I think we can all ultimately agree these are fantasy films, they're entertainment, but the pop cultural status of these films, just like certain television series have since garnered, that audiences are extremely invested in, emotionally so has had an extraordinary impact on people's lives. In this regard I can understand Mattris's concerns as obviously Star Wars is something of a religious cornerstone for him, something he has become emotionally invested in and defensive of. This doesn't mean that his position isn't automatically compromised, it is, it means that no answer here is going to convince him, or sway his beliefs to understanding why others think differently to him. Either he has failed to distinguish fact from opinion, or he's a troll - he could be both for all I know...

Now, Mattris's question on face value is vague, dismissive and a shirking of the burden of proof; 'why do you like it when others hate it?'

I don't have to give an answer to that and nor does anyone else here.

How many opinions must we share in order for Mattris to be satisfied? That's what all this goes back to and boils down to: opinions. 

I don't necessarily think the criticism of The Last Jedi can be split into distinct 'camps', rather there's an obvious vocal component who opines negativity and they have every right to do so. Could you get all these people into one place, or on the same page - because obviously there's a variety of negative criticism that has this toxic element, to those who were pissed over Leia flying and everything in between...

@Arpy As you are aware, this topic perfectly suits me. By definition, I cannot be a troll here. Please do not call me that again. Thank you.

Moving on...

I am not looking to be convinced or have my beliefs swayed. My main issue with The Last Jedi  is not that it's simply a 'bad film'. It is that Rian Johnson made it clear that his goal was to "subvert expectations". Rather than furthering the character and plot with (fan-pleasing) creativity, he wrote an extremely lazy story... with divisiveness as the method of his madness. If his own words from 15 years ago aren't enough proof, the films' many... unexpected events should be. (And if you're still not convinced, his Twitter feed has certainly driven his point home.)

Regarding "understanding why others think differently to" me... Did you like that there was no light-saber battle in TLJ, that every main character does objectively stupid things on a regular basis, that Rey's unexplained abilities seem to be endless, that Luke Skywalker's instinct was to kill his nephew in his sleep... and that he immediately gave up and secluded himself until he committed suicide? Do you like that Lucasfilm employees accuse critical/concerned fans as a sexist, racist, manbabies... and no official apology is issued? (John Boyega summed up their stants perfectly: "We don't care. 🤷‍♂️")

The Last Jedi  isn't just a bad film or Star Wars sequel... it's a deliberate insult to the majority of the fans. I find it ironic that the film's theme is that 'failure can be one's greatest teacher' while Rian Johnson has unapologetically ripped the fandom apart... and his trilogy hasn't been announced as cancelled. This is either stupidity or defiance from Disney. (Sort of like the situation regarding a certain contact extension.)

Care to expand on what you meant by "toxic element" of negative criticism?

36 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Did you like that there was no light-saber battle in TLJ, that every main character does objectively stupid things on a regular basis, that Rey's unexplained abilities seem to be endless, that Luke Skywalker's instinct was to kill his nephew in his sleep... and that he immediately gave up and secluded himself until he committed suicide? 

Since the movie engaged and entertained me, yes. I didn't mind any of those things.  If it has to have a lightsaber battle to be a good SW film then that says a lot about you. I didn't even notice there wasn't one until someone mentioned it. The story didn't need it. 

Rather than furthering the  character and plot with (fan-pleasing) creativity, he wrote an extremely lazy story.

I disagree. TFA was more lazy, essentially a remake of ANH. 

The Last Jedi  isn't just a bad film or Star Wars sequel... it's a deliberate insult to the majority of the fans

Interesting that everyone I know liked it or loved it.  I guess I'm glad we're all in the minority. 

It is that Rian Johnson made it clear that his goal was to "subvert expectations".

He did that by making a movie that I liked a lot more than I expected. But you're allowed to not like it. 

You're not a troll, but this thread is 64 pages of you saying the same thing over and over and over and over...

At least we didn't get a by-the-numbers film, Johnson and Co. took risks in delivering what I believe to be one of the best Star Wars films.

@Mattris 'A deliberate insult to the majority of the fans'  - this has got to be the most ridiculous thing you've said in this thread. It's not just the fact that you're speaking for other people in some warped view of consensus, it's the complete misconception of everything the film tried to achieve.

I'm truly sorry the film didn't work out for you, but acting like you were entitled to more and left bitter over this film is just sad. 

A few pages back you said something like 'The customer is always right' what a fucking joke, a truly bizarre statement. Yeah, the customer's right when they roll around and cry on the floor that their expectations were subverted by a Star Wars film.

8 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Johnson and Co. took risks

What risks, though?

Other than that one scene where Luke is shown contemplating killing Ben, what real, serious risks did this movie truly take?

And really, at the end of the day - to me - these questions of whether the storytelling was bold, or the director's voice prominent - all fall by the wayside of the end result. That being, me watching the movie and asking myself "Am I entertained? am I feeling something?" which, with The Last Jedi, I did. Just barely, however. With The Force Awakens - I was significantly more entertained - and that's what counts.

Obviously risks that fans like Mattris couldn't take. I would say one risk would be that there's no real resolution to the story, that everyone is worse off by the end of the film. It was depressing, and I love it for that.

As I said before, we now know what a skimp scant SW film looks like in the form of Rogue One and Solo - two decent yet unimpressive films that dared not step a toe outside of the established Star Wars iconography. @Mattris's statement said it all, complaining about the lack of a lightsaber duel as if that's what Star Wars needs to be whole and complete, another bloody lightsaber duel. I enjoyed TLJ for saying 'enough is enough' and discarding that bullshit for when it's needed - not as some throwaway spectacle for audiences who can't survive without them.

8 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I would say one risk would be that there's no real resolution to the story

But there absolutely is. Its actually one of the more resolute middle chapters I've seen in quite some time, ending not with a cliffhanger or even so much as a set-up of the next film. Again, I'm referring to Chris Hartwell's review where he said that Rian "gobbled up more story than was necessary for this middle chapter." It may be depressing, but it is resolute.

I just think this movie gets a lot of praise for story choices that really aren't so revolutionary. Ultimately, the kind of deconstruction that Johnson offers is mostly cosmetic. If he had real cojones he would let the Jedi truly end.

15 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

What risks, though?

Other than that one scene where Luke is shown contemplating killing Ben, what real, serious risks did this movie truly take?

Laura Dern's hair is pretty ambitious.