Star Wars Disenchantment

John

6 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Are you familiar with the notable events of the new novels, comics, and other canon material? Have you read any of them? Are you aware that Palpatine personally set-up a "Contingency" plan on Jakuu... and outposts in the Unknown Regions (where Snoke originated).

I'll give you a hint: I've never watched a Star Wars film before 2015.

In Episode III, Palpatine said, "It's ironic. He [Darth Plagueis] could save others from death but not himself." He was bragging to Anakin and already knew how to cheat death.

He was doing just that - laughing at the irony. He was insinuating anything further than that.

I'm meant characters that could link all three trilogies in a significant way.

That's not enough. There needs to be more than recuring characters. There needs to be some story thread, some conflict from the original six films which has not been resolved prior to or during Return of the Jedi. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that there isn't one.

15 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Does that count as a character, though?

Yes he counts.

3 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I'm meant characters that could link all three trilogies in a significant way.

I think R2 and 3PO are already doing that. 

5 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Are you familiar with the notable events of the new novels, comics, and other canon material? Have you read any of them? Are you aware that Palpatine personally set-up a "Contingency" plan on Jakuu... and outposts in the Unknown Regions (where Snoke originated).

Star Wars: Palpatine's Horcruxes

7 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Luke put his life on the line, hoping that his father's love would turn him to the Light. Anakin's sacrifice did just that and saved his son... not "fucking irrelevant" in the slightest.

And if Palps comes back now after Luke's dead, they collectively achieved nothing. And of course in the Plaugeis scene he's just reveling in the irony and enjoying the fact that he killed his master. Nothing more to it than that.

To @Mattris' credit, his is no worse a theory than the one I stumbled upon some time ago,1 which speculates that some invading force from outside the Galaxy - hitherto completely not set-up by any film in the series - would force the Resistance and the First Order to join forces.

Terrible idea, that.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-real-villain-rey-kylo-theory/

On 26/03/2019 at 7:28 AM, JoeinAR said:

The Emperor was not in Star Wars.

I said appears in all of the films (in some way). In Star Wars, Governor Tarkin mentions him:

"The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away."

Just now, Mattris said:

I said appears in all of the films (in some way). In Star Wars, Governor Tarkin mentions him:

"The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away."

Appears and mentions are two different things 

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Sorry Bub but thats not an appearance in any way shape or form. Go directly to jail,  do not collect 200 dollars.  Thanks for your embarrassingly poor explanation. 

Noting that "The Emperor" was mentioned in the original Star Wars is a fact - not an "explanation". By continuing to make an issue of this, you are only embarrassing yourself.

Any thoughts on my Episode IX theory?

Based on Mattris' asinine and preposterous, not to mention absurd comments then Vader has appeared twice in the 3rd trilogy 

2 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Noting that "The Emperor" was mentioned in Star Wars is a fact - not an "explanation". By continuing to make an issue of this, you are only embarrassing yourself.

Any thoughts on my Episode IX theory?

You are  being idiotic.  The Mentioning of a character is not an appearance. You are wrong and you cannot allow yourself to admit defeat. Your fan fiction is interesting and i can appreciate your effort

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Based on Mattris' asinine and preposterous, not to mention absurd comments then Vader has appeared twice in the 3rd trilogy 

You are  being idiotic.  The Mentioning of a character is not an appearance. You are wrong and you cannot allow yourself to admit defeat.

Admit defeat? Why are you acting so aggressive? Do you think I simply misspoke (mis-typed) when I made my original observation? Maybe it's that you don't want accept the point I was trying to make. Or is it that you honestly think I don't understand the films and their relation to each other? An even better question: Why won't we stop arguing?

"This bickering is pointless!"

3 minutes ago, Mattris said:

An even better question: Why won't we stop arguing?

"This bickering is pointless!"

u serious?

9 minutes ago, Mattris said:

"Anakin" is not said in TESB - only "father" and "the son of Skywalker".

Did Lucas even considered his name to be Anakin at that time?

During the Tales of a Jedi Knight in Star Wars, Obi-wan called Luke's father as "Anakin" multiple times... and referred to Darth Vader as a separate person.

False. He only ever says "your father" until RotJ. I'm starting to wonder if you know these films at all.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

False. He only ever says "your father" until RotJ. I'm starting to wonder if you know these films at all.

I stand corrected.. but still know the films well. I just mis-remembered. No need to be condescending.

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I thought we were discussing Super Mario comics in here...

Why would anyone discuss that shit.

In the Original Empire Strikes Back, the unraped version,  there is no Anakin mentioned. 

The original version of the Emperor was better than the creepy scooby doo version in ROTJ.

If you go by George Lucas' prequel-era logic, Anakin Skywalker ceased to exist mid-ROTS when he was dubbed Darth Vader (pre-suit) and didn't return until the final duel of ROTJ.

2 hours ago, dougie said:

Why not spend some energy on more exciting and interesting franchises like Legendary's Monsterverse? Godzilla: King of the Monsters looks like it's going to steal thunder from Avengers and Star Wars anyway. By the time Godzilla vs Kong rolls around next March, everyone will be like "Star what?"

I just found out there's not gonna be a proper sequel to Shin Godzilla.  :(

God? Zilla. That's what Japanese sailors called him in song, a mythological sea dragon who filled their hearts with fear. It has become our modern day terror. Who is this Godzilla? Where did he come from? Why is he here?

37 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

No.

One of the best changes in the Special Editions, that was.

No its unnecessary and it kills the beautiful surprise. In a word its retarded.