Star Wars Disenchantment

John

I don't really have time to read every post in every thread any more, so if people don't use the report function or otherwise draw my attention to something, I could very well miss it.

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'd like to report that Kasey continuously makes hilarious witty posts and because of his brilliant wit ought to be promoted!

Yes. I intend to recommend you for promotion...in whatever thread you end up posting. Best Speed to "Other Topics"!

On 10/21/2018 at 12:22 PM, kaseykockroach said:

I'd like to report that Kasey continuously makes hilarious witty posts and because of his brilliant wit ought to be promoted!

I’m sure it’s in the JWFan charter somewhere that promotions depend on you being at least a half-hearted fan of the site’s namesake. 😉 

This 'Snoke time manipulation' theory would explain why JJ Abrams is re-purposing cutting room floor footage of Carrie Fisher for Episode 9, which could begin during the events of The Force Awakens... with the story deviating from what happened in TLJ. This 'time travel fail-safe' introduced in Star Wars: Rebels allows them an out from the currently-unfolding disaster they find themselves in. The fans (and Disney shareholders) can only hope they will be so bold.

59 minutes ago, Mattris said:

why JJ Abrams is re-purposing cutting room floor footage of Carrie Fisher for Episode 9, which could begin during the events of The Force Awakens

You probably wouldn't like to hear this, but Star Wars doesn't do non-linear. It always has been very straight-forward and plain with regards to how it lets the story unfold.

Over eight films, we had exactly one flash-forward (during Revenge of the Sith, to an event later in that film) and one flash-back (in The Force Awakens, to an event prior to the film's beginning, revisited three times in The Last Jedi). I doubt we'd go from that (very basic) narrative structure to anything signifcantly more sophisticated, come IX.

The reason Abrmas is cannibalizing footage of Carrie Fisher, is to have her in the movie; ignoring the droids and with Luke dead, she is the only living character to act as a throughline for the series.

This most likely (and regrettably) means that she would be confined to a headquarters of some sort, monitoring the action. That's what she did in The Force Awakens, and more importantly - that's about the only kind of the footage that you could slap unto another film without it feeling too out-of-place.

I guess they'll rotoscope out her head/face and place it on a digital body. Just a hunch about how they'll handle it.

Much of her role will probably exist as holograms, to disguise the CGI.

Did you watch Star Wars Theory's video? Time travel is now 'a thing' in Star Wars. Why would Supreme Leader Snoke, his Dwartii/Mustafar ring, the Dark Side Sculptor, and the World Between Worlds have been introduced if not to be utilized in final film of the Saga?

Considering the MAJOR effects of TLJ backlash, Ep. 9 essentially retconning Ep.8 - with Snoke and Luke Skywalker (and possibly Han Solo) returning in the flesh - would be just the bold move Disney needs to re-energize the franchise... and make a shit ton of money.* Honestly, I don't see how they do it otherwise. (Bringing back Lando and Force ghost Luke will not be enough.)

This theory would also explain why Kathleen Kennedy was given a contract extension: After her troubles as President of Lucasfilm**, Bob Iger knows new leadership is needed. But he (and Hollywood, in general) wants her to leave a high note. Allowing JJ to pull out all the stops - by using 'Snoke time manipulation' - would do the trick.

* comic book and Star Wars: Rebels Blu-ray sales would sky-rocket

** firing/replacing multiple directors... often deep into production, Solo's massive financial loss, TLJ breaking the fandom, allowing employees to bad-mouth fans, etc.

ef8.jpg

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I guess they'll rotoscope out her head/face and place it on a digital body. Just a hunch about how they'll handle it.

Nah, I just think we'll have the main characters doing their thing, cut to Leia in the headquarters looking concerned.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Nah, I just think we'll have the main characters doing their thing, cut to Leia in the headquarters looking concerned.

They did that with the real her in TLJ and TFA. That's where her character's at. 

44 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Luke dying because he transported a vision of himself to another planet was just sort of stupid.

Think of it like a spiritual version of the climax in Spider-Man 2, when Spidey lifts that massive debris, but if he couldn't lift it anymore.

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Think of it like a spiritual version of the climax in Spider-Man 2, when Spidey lifts that massive debris, but if he couldn't lift it anymore.

?????????

47 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I hear the proposed Boba Fett movie has been shelved.

Nah.

Attack of the Clone wasn't shelved - it came out in 2002.😉

44 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

But I always liked Mcgregor as Obi-Wan, so I was kind of looking forward to the Kenobi movie.

Meh.

What's so great about McGregor's Obi Wan, anyway? He's just doing an "okay" job in the midst of poor performances, which makes him stand out. Being the winner of a snail's race doesn't make you quick.

Oh, well. Than again, I don't judge a movie by the lead actor or actress, but by the story and the execution of the screenwriter, and director, first and foremost.