Star Wars Disenchantment

John

6 minutes ago, Mattris said:

This is a dark time for Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy has a misguided agenda, and she's using lackluster Star Wars films to spread it. For most fans of the franchise, her firing would be reason to celebrate. If it doesn't happen soon, it won't happen before 2020. Thankfully, patience is a virtue.

This marks my last post in this conversation. Anyone desiring to discuss further can visit the SWD.

maggie.gif

Hell, there are enough Star Wars movies now that if you want to watch just the OT you can, if you just want to watch the prequels (don't) you can, if you want to watch the anthologies you can, or if you want to watch the sequels you can too. It's only as oversaturated as you make it. It's large enough now though that those who want to continue with the franchise can, and those who don't can watch whatever they liked of it.

6 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Star Wars? Fuckin' nerdy shit.

temple1.JPG

And so it is.

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

Star Wars is sorta lame though isn't it.  The Trek is better, so who cares?

temple1.JPG

And so it is.

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

For most fans of the franchise, her firing would be reason to celebrate

Most?  Really?  No, more like a small minority. You're not as important as you think you are. 

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

This marks my last post in this conversation.

Thank God. 

Child slavery is awesome! You don't have to pay them, they work the fields, do all the dirty jobs you'd never want to do yourself, they know better than to complain, etc. The only problem is you might have to feed them occasionally, or else they don't work as well, but that's really the only expense that you need to invest into them, since their results pay in dividends.

22 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Child slavery is awesome! You don't have to pay them, they work the fields, do all the dirty jobs you'd never want to do yourself, they know better than to complain, etc. The only problem is you have to feed them occasionally, or else they don't work as well, but that's really the only expense that you need to invest into them, since their results pay in dividends.

6aw3vw8uep501.jpg

Star Wars fans are labelled call sexist, racist, and stupid by Lucasfilm employees (and shills) because they are disappointed in the films produced under her reign. These comments are not denounced by Disney CEO Bob Iger or Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy (pictured in the black shirt). But she says "The Force is Female". Oh, the irony.

I don't think so. I think we're going to see effects from the #metoo movement for awhile. I mean Mattress himself here sounds like a whiny Harvey Weinstein. 

I'll leave him alone now.  The fact that this thread even exists is sad. 

40 minutes ago, Mattris said:

6aw3vw8uep501.jpg

Some Lucasfilm employees (and shills) call fans sexist, racist, and stupid (via Twitter) because they are disappointed in the Star Wars films produced under her reign. These comments are not denounced by Disney CEO Bob Iger or Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy (pictured in the black shirt). But she decides have shirts made like this. Oh, the irony.

I'd like to see one comment given by a Lucasfilm employee calling somebody sexist, racist, or stupid simply because they're disappointed in a movie.  Proof?

13 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Who are the two girls on the left?

Good question, Kennedy's the only one I recognize in that photo. The brunette to the right of Kennedy is pretty cute! (Am I allowed to say that?)

I think the T shirts are goofy (my religious beliefs are pretty similar to the Force, and I think it's weird to classify a nonphysical entity like the Force by gender), but I'd say they're pretty harmless.

Hey I played with this when I was a kid, can I be disenchanted a little bit... 40 years later???

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « robot factory star wars »

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « hoth empire strikes back toy vintage »

I even had a Wampa.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « hoth empire strikes back toy vintage wampa »

and the huuuge Ewok set (well in my memory it was huger)!

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « Ewok return jedi back toy vintage »

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

Why are you so threatened by that?  It's just a movie. Who cares?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't get what's wrong with that picture anyway

Obi-wan told Luke, "the Force is an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." To claim the Force has a gender is sexist.

Kathleen Kennedy told George Lucas (to his face) that "The main thing is to protect these characters... make sure that they still continue to live in the way that you created them... and that the universe of Star Wars continues to grow." Go to 2:15 in this video for a very telling interview compilation.

Under her reign, Kathleen Kennedy has approved killing off Han and Luke, fired directors left and right, made A New Hope precursor film, divided the fandom with The Last Jedi, and produced an over-budget Solo film that has bombed.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

In six months' time, the world would have moved on, from all this SJW, #metoo.

Honestly, its just a storm in a D cup.

I don't think so. I think we're going to see effects from the #metoo movement for awhile. I mean Mattress himself here sounds like a whiny Harvey Weinstein. 

I'll leave him alone now.  The fact that this thread even exists is sad. 

What sad is the fact that you all can't understand that new leadership is needed at Lucasfilm for Star Wars to be a successful brand moving forward.

LOL.  Episode 9 will make a ton of money. I don't think they need to be worried about it.  You and your friends won't be missed. 

15 minutes ago, Mattris said:

As Obi-wan told Luke, "the Force is an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." To claim the Force has a gender is sexist

Silly, yes. Sexist? No. It's just a cute T-Shirt, like tons of other lame Star Wars apparel over the years. 

15 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Under her reign, Kathleen Kennedy has approved killing off Han and Luke, fired directors left and right, made A New Hope precursor film, divided the fandom with The Last Jedi, and produced an over-budget Solo film that has bombed.

1. Something the writer and actor wanted to do for decades.

2. Not the most assuring sign, but I can also understand giving the keys to the city some people who didn't pan out in the way you wanted (I like Lord and Miller, but I can easily imagine their approach being obnoxious).

3. Divided a fanbase that quite frankly, who knows what they want? It's genuinely confusing. Man am I glad I'm not a producer on Lucasfilm.

4. I'm sure the reshoots and all that bumped up the costs; if anything that shows she was willing to experiment and risk with how these films are done, and paid the price on a bad gamble. I respect that. Has the film really bombed, though?

As of yet, no film whose script was written after TFA was released has come out. Maybe it's worth giving a little time for Lucasfilm to adapt to criticism before firing people left, right and centre?

I don't get what's wrong with that picture anyway

There's nothing wrong with the picture. It was a cute moment not meant to be taken literally. But the male ego can be a fragile thing with certain people. 

1 minute ago, Indianagirl said:

Most people are reacting the way they are becuase they can't envision in their minds where TLJ is going. It is probably the most dense Star Wars film ever made and they simply don't know what to make of it or the future and they are responding in the only way they know how. ANGRILY. 

I'm very much both excited for and dreading where Abrams takes it.  I don't think he could or would write a script as dense as that, which might be exactly what's needed to resolve the story.  I just hope he doesn't go too far in the other direction and over simplify every thing.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm very much both excited for and dreading where Abrams takes it.  I don't think he could or would write a script as dense as that, which might be exactly what's needed to resolve the story.  I just hope he doesn't go too far in the other direction and over simplify every thing.

I feel the EXACT same way!!! There is so much potential story left I wouldn't be shocked if there ends up being an episode 10. I don't think that will happen but I wouldn't be completely shocked. 

Of all the Star Wars we’re about to get IX is the one I least care about. Everything else sounds more interesting. IX is just something that’s hapoening and I’ll see 4-8 times in the cinema, watch a couple of times on Blu-ray and move on with. 

Honestly, I'm just so thankful it isn't Trevorrow, I'm up for anything.

Just now, Bilbo said:

Of all the Star Wars we’re about to get IX is the one I least care about. Everything else sounds more interesting. IX is just something that’s hapoening and I’ll see 4-8 times in the cinema, watch a couple of times on Blu-ray and move on with. 

It's the only one I care about!

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

*looks at Empire and then Return of the Jedi*

JJ Abrams: The circle is now complete.

I'm really hoping JJ has it in him. I too am glad Colin Trevorrow got the boot and I'm basing it soley on Jurassic World. I liked Jurassic World but I didn't think it captured the magic it so blatantly tried for. 

Episode 9 needs to be amazing. It needs to be a fitting end to the entire Skywalker Saga. That is a daunting task that leaves me as nervous as anyone for it. Nevertheless, I don't for one second think that Lucasfilm is just winging this from one director to the next with out an overall storyline. That storyline may of seen some adjustments as time went by but I don't buy into the whole bit that Rian Johnson came in and completely undid JJ's story. I've followed not just the films but also the books and I can tell you that this is going somewhere. 

And for anyone who is not following the cannon as closely but is interested in how we got from Return of the Jedi to The Force Awakens....read BLOODLINE!

I'll play devil's advocate here because I can kind of get why this one - those shirts - bugs people.  It's like when people say "the future is female."  What does that even mean?  I'm not gonna go down the same road as the typical whiners and say SEXIST, but it seems like a knowingly incendiary and excluding thing to say.  I prefer my inclusiveness to be organic and without ceremony, shirts, or slogans.  That's how you make it natural and relatively controversy free.  Just my two cents.  

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

Obi-wan told Luke, "the Force is an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." To claim the Force has a gender is sexist.

Maybe the force wears a strap-on? Have you ever thought of that?

LOL.  Episode 9 will make a ton of money. I don't think they need to be worried about it.  You and your friends won't be missed. 

With Kathleen Kennedy still in charge, Ep. 9 will make roughly $1 billion less than it could have without her.

You're joking, right? Me and my "friends" are being missed as we speak.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Silly, yes. Sexist? No. It's just a cute T-Shirt, like tons of other lame Star Wars apparel over the years. 

1. Something the writer and actor wanted to do for decades.

2. Not the most assuring sign, but I can also understand giving the keys to the city some people who didn't pan out in the way you wanted (I like Lord and Miller, but I can easily imagine their approach being obnoxious).

3. Divided a fanbase that quite frankly, who knows what they want? It's genuinely confusing. Man am I glad I'm not a producer on Lucasfilm.

4. I'm sure the reshoots and all that bumped up the costs; if anything that shows she was willing to experiment and risk with how these films are done, and paid the price on a bad gamble. I respect that. Has the film really bombed, though?

1. With Han, yes. But Luke Skywalker's story is different. The fact is, a disenchanted Luke (who was portrayed as to be a shadow of his former self) had to 'arrive' at the battle because Rose didn't allow Finn to decide his own destiny and destroy the big door laser weapon. And even then, Luke wasn't actually present. Force projection causes death. These events were convoluted and unworthy of such a cherished character... certainly not continuing "to live in the way that [George] created them".

2. Then why did she hire them... and let them shoot basically the entire film before firing them? This issue of 'firing and hiring' has become a habit with her. It reeks havoc on a film production and ultimately the finished product.

3. Concerning all things coming out of Lucasfilm, the buck stops with the president. While Kathleen Kennedy has decades of experience in the film industry, she did not make films. And I firmly believe she wasn't a fan of Star Wars when she was handed the job. Regardless, she obviously doesn't care what the majority of fans want: adventure stories filled with unique, intriguing characters that have a compelling arcs, bonding, teamwork, family, love, and good vs. evil. The KK films fail at this. That's why fans are outraged.

4. She picked the wrong directors and paid for it. It wasn't the first time... more like the fourth time. Any Star Wars movie should be making back 2-5 times its production/marketing expenses. Solo is on track to be in the red until it's released on home video. This should be unacceptable for any film, much less a Disney-marketed Star Wars film.

1 hour ago, Bofur01 said:

As of yet, no film whose script was written after TFA was released has come out. Maybe it's worth giving a little time for Lucasfilm to adapt to criticism before firing people left, right and centre?

The Force Awakens was a lazy, safe copy of A New Hope, Rogue One was... ok - but featured yet another British, white, female lead (and an obviously multi-racial cast - so progressive!), The Last Jedi was shockingly divisive, and Solo is mostly unfaithful to the character of Han Solo. Her tack record is awful.

1 hour ago, Indianagirl said:

There's nothing wrong with the picture. It was a cute moment not meant to be taken literally. But the male ego can be a fragile thing with certain people. 

Cute? Give me a break. She had those shirts made and gave a speech to pander to sexist/ignorant women (and men). She knows events like that do exist in a vacuum and is using her power to (attempt to) shape society and to get a pat on the back from feminists.

But also it is serious.  Hollywood has a history of treating women like garbage.  I think it’s fantastic that Kennedy is in charge of Lucasfilm and is absolutely her reward and challenge for breaking through so many glass ceilings over a legendary career

Even if the movies aren’t perfect.  They’re just movies and Star Wars isn’t a fucking religion.  Live in the real world please people.

What’s kind of funny is that she takes a lot of heat from lefties too for only having hired white men to make the new Star Wars movies thus far.  She’s doing things the way she wants to and more power to her.

But yeah obviously the t shirts are meant to be funny

Hollywood is a cesspool. They treat most people like garbage. Hopefully, the situation is improving for everyone - but not at the expense of (hard-working, honorable) men.

Why do you think it’s "fantastic" that Kennedy is in charge of Lucasfilm? She is unsuccessfully running a movie-making business.

"Her reward... for breaking through so many glass ceilings over a legendary career"? Don't kid yourself. KK wasn't promoted by a board of directors. George Lucas handed her the keys to the castle, and she is trashing it. She failed at the "challenge" she was given.

Star Wars is important to millions of fans worldwide. For two hours at a time, people can escape "the real world" to go on an adventure "A long time ago...". And these movies just aren't doing it for them.

Then she's a hypocrite, as well. "She’s doing things the way she wants to and" will be fired or will step down soon. Mark my words.

Those t-shirts were not meant to be "funny". They were made to further her feminist agenda. Imagine if a male Lucasfilm president made "The Force Is Male" t-shirts made? The outrage!

1 minute ago, Mattris said:

Me and my friends are being missed as we speak

Delusions of grandeur. Your hate for Kennedy isn't why Solo is doing poorly. It's just not a great film.  Episode 9 will be awesome, just like TLJ, and will make a ton of money. 

7 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Rogue One was... ok - but featured yet another British, white, female lead

Why do you hate women?

5 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Star Wars is important to millions of fans worldwide. For two hours at a time, people can escape "the real world" to go on an adventure "A long time ago...". And these movies just aren't doing it for them me.

Alright Mattris... then channel your energy into going to film school and screenwriting classes, and then call up Kennedy at Lucasfilm and show 'em you're talented enough to make a Star Wars movie your way. I'm not even joking. Channel that energy into what you what... not what you don't.

1 minute ago, Demodex said:

Why do you hate women?

The role was identical to Rey... a young women thrust into the fray to save the day. No imagination... just a feminist agenda.

WHO CARES IF IT'S A FEMALE LEAD???

Only you, who must have some kind of hang up about women. Are you one of those Incels?  

Alien had a female hero. Do you hate that franchise too?

1 minute ago, John said:

Alright Mattris... then channel your energy into going to film school and screenwriting classes, and then call up Kennedy at Lucasfilm and show 'em you're talented enough to make a Star Wars movie your way. I'm not even joking. Channel that energy into what you what... not what you don't.

Film classes are for someone else. What fans want is good Star Wars films, and what we will do is avoid paying the business that is Disney/Lucasfilm. If enough people do that, Disney/Lucasfilm's profits will take a hit, and changes will be made. Capitalism at work.

5 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Only you, who must have some kind of hang up about women. Are you one of those Incels?  

She can't do that! Shoot her! Or something!

On 01/06/2018 at 7:42 PM, Demodex said:

Rey and Jen... both young, good-looking, white, English women as principal protagonists two films in a row is indicative of an agenda and seems forced. I have a "hang up" about poor writing and thin characters in film. Am I in the minority?

Ridley in the Alien films is one of the best heroes in film history - male or female.

So women are thin characters?

It didn't seem forced to me. It was refreshing to get something different.

You must have been really hurt by a woman to feel this way.  You are an incel, aren't you?  😄

No. Unimaginative, convoluted writing produces thin characters. Most other characters in TFA and TLJ are poorly written and developed, as well.

If accusing me of being sexist is all you have, we aren't going to get anywhere. Try addressing the points and facts I've bought up.