Star Wars Disenchantment

John

37 minutes ago, Demodex said:

He said he'll see it on DVD but probably not in the theater.  He doesn't want to give Lucasfilm any of his money. 

He's clueless.

57 minutes ago, Demodex said:

He said he'll see it on DVD but probably not in the theater.  He doesn't want to give Lucasfilm any of his money. 

Yes, because Lucasfilm makes no profit off DVD sales?

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

So @Mattris you didn't even see Solo? WTF?

After TLJ... and Rian Johnson (and other employees) accusing/insulting fans, why would I? I don't reward stupidity or unprofessionalism. I'm a Star Wars fan - not a Star Wars sheep that will accept and pay for everything Star Wars no matter what.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I wonder if he will even see Ep 9?

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

No, he'll just bitch online about how shitty it was.

... only if it is shitty.

6 hours ago, Demodex said:

I'll probably rent it, or buy a second-hand Blu-ray.

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

He's clueless.

@Arpy I've noticed you've gotten a bit lazy with your posts, lately... and have resorted to name-calling.

Go on, take a crack at addressing my points and questions over the last 7-10 pages.

My observations, opinions, and "theories" are held by millions of fans.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Disney Star Wars is in the shitter right now... and has a mountain to climb to get the disenchanted fans back. IX's trailers won't be enough.

I'd like to hear your logical explanations of what happening with Star Wars... and why you think I'm "clueless".

5 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

If LFL gets no money, then how can it even make decent movies?

And how can they 'get money' without a strong fanbase? If you don't anger the fans, they will never leave. It's too late for that now!

Recently, Disney DEO Bob Iger said this:

“I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn’t mean we’re not going to make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven’t been specific about. And we are just at the point where we’re going to start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.’s. But I think we’re going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

As the head of Disney, I have no doubt that the 'Star Wars situation' concerns Bob Iger greatly. I would bet that he gets reports on the 'vibe' on the Star Wars fanbase, as well as declining revenue/profit figures on Lucasfilm content. For the betterment of his company's image (and profit), it's possible that he will decide to take responsibility for his employees' unprofessional, rude, accusatory language directed at concerned Star Wars fans... and offer a personal apology to the fans. If Iger apologizes in a specifically-recorded video... or on-stage at Star Wars Celebration in April 2019, I will pay to see IX in theaters. If he only issues a written apology, I will wait for trusted reviews of the film before deciding whether or not to see it in theaters. No apology at all? They won't get my business.

So, I guess you won't be seeing it in theaters then? Rian Johnson isn't going to issue an apology for something he doesn't need to apologise for. 

@Mattris, if you were not one of the fans that was criticized by Johnson then why are you so upset by it?  So he called out individuals for being sexist and racist. SO WHAT??

You're taking being insulted here pretty well. 

10 hours ago, Mattris said:

My observations, opinions, and "theories" are held by millions of fans.

How do you know?  Have you counted them?  It could be the same ten people you keep seeing on social media. 

41 minutes ago, John said:

I wonder if Mattris ever visits any other threads besides this one. Does he know that he’s become a forum-wide meme?

I suspect he does, and keeps doing this to make sure the meme doesn't die, seeing as how most of ya'll are stupid enough to keep giving him attention.

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

So, I guess you won't be seeing it in theaters then? Rian Johnson isn't going to issue an apology for something he doesn't need to apologise for. 

I suggested that Bob Iger could "take the blame" for the statements from Rian Johnson, J.J. Abrams, John Boyega, Chuck Wendig, and others that are a primary reason that many people are done with Disney Star Wars. (That run-down only accounts for statements said as of 6 months ago.)

3 hours ago, John said:

I wonder if Mattris ever visits any other threads besides this one. Does he know that he’s become a forum-wide meme?

I am aware... and proud. 😎

3 hours ago, Demodex said:

@Mattris, if you were not one of the fans that was criticized by Johnson then why are you so upset by it?  So he called out individuals for being sexist and racist. SO WHAT??

You're taking being insulted here pretty well. 

How do you know?  Have you counted them?  It could be the same ten people you keep seeing on social media. 

Johnson did more than that. He flat-out dismissed all criticism the fans had with TLJ... and calls them "manbabies" and blocks "assholes" when they press him for explanations on Twitter regarding the shortcomings of his film.

Insults from prominent LFL employees towards fans are wholly unacceptable. I'm not the only one who feels this way.

You sound like Chuck Wendig on March 24, 2018... before he was fired. Take the 37% drop-off of TLJ's box office total (compared to TFA), Solo's utter financial disaster, the SW toy slump, Disney admitting that a "course correction" is happening, the comment sections of practically every Star Wars article on mainstream websites, and the swath of Youtube channels containing videos knocking Disney Star Wars... with millions of views and comments from people expressing their displeasure. Yeah... it's not ten people. Want to try again?

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

the comment sections of practically every Star Wars article on mainstream websites,

The comment section of practically every article on the internet is horrible.  I tend to ignore them because they're full of trolls, people that can't spell, and people that spew insults at everyone. 

Maybe this is why I don't hear negativity towards Star Wars. 

Enjoy your time boycotting. I'll be enjoying TLJ and Solo on Blu-Ray until I get to see Episode 9 multiple times in theaters.  😎

Johnson did more than that. He flat-out dismissed all criticism the fans had with TLJ... and calls them "manbabies" and blocks "assholes" when they press him for explanations on Twitter regarding the shortcomings of his film. 

Maybe that's because they are manbabies and assholes. Just read some of those comments... they are rude AF 99% of the time.

Really? After my last post (that proves my point in spades), you're attempting to dismiss the millions of disillusioned fans that have expressed themselves by commenting as "trolls, people that can't spell, and people that spew insults at everyone"? Sorry, @Demodex, that is pathetic.

55 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Maybe that's because they are manbabies and assholes. Just read some of those comments... they are rude AF 99% of the time.

Yeah, "rude AF" like Rian Johnson. As the writer and director of a Star Wars film, name-calling should be beneath him. People do not differentiate who exactly he was calling manbabies and assholes. Word of his unprofessionalism gets around. And in this day and age, he should know better.

I've added Rian Johnson's Star Wars Trilogy needs to be cancelled* to my list of preconditions to pay to see IX in theaters.

* or at the very least, not officially mentioned at Star Wars Celebration 2019

Really? After my last post (that proves my point in spades), you're attempting to dismiss the millions of disillusioned fans that have expressed themselves by commenting as "trolls, people that can't spell, and people that spew insults at everyone"? Sorry, @Demodex, that is pathetic.

Yeah, "rude AF" like Rian Johnson. As the writer and director of a Star Wars film, name-calling should be beneath him. People do not differentiate who exactly he was calling manbabies and assholes. Word of his unprofessionalism gets around. And in this day and age, he should know better.

I've added Rian Johnson's Star Wars Trilogy needs to be cancelled* to my list of preconditions to pay to see IX in theaters.

* or at the very least, not officially mentioned at Star Wars Celebration 2019

Yeah, like they're going to take your preconditions into account, you're going to be severely disappointed.

And please tell me how you've managed to read the comments of 'millions of disillusioned fans'?

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Ad Hominem much?

Nope. Just search for the term “Mattris” or “Mattriss” across the forum and see for yourself just how lowly he is regarded. 

We’re all sick of his crap. 

2 hours ago, John said:

Nah, I'm pretty sure every JWFan that has heard of or encountered you disagrees with/is repulsed by you and your opinions.

@SF1_freeze and @Muldoon agree with me. I thank them for their bravery and support.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yeah, like they're going to take your preconditions into account, you're going to be severely disappointed.

And please tell me how you've managed to read the comments of 'millions of disillusioned fans'?

At the premiere of Solo, Kathleen Kennedy said herself that "there's nothing better than to see what we do with an audience. It's one of the great things as film makers... is that we get a chance to see people react to what we've done. I love that more than anything. So I'm really excited to get into the theater and see people experience this."

Kennedy then disappeared for 5 months. When she reappeared, it was to confirm that the planned Boba Fett movie had been cancelled.

So don't think for a second that decisions aren't made due to the 'feedback' from customers. Disney/LFL know about the fans like me. They know that Kennedy is almost entirely responsible for the Lucasfilm's numerous failures and set-backs... and that fans blame her almost exclusively. With that in mind, I suspect they know that firing her would result in a more-successful Episode IX, as the many disenchanted fans would respond to the news positively.

In fact, if Kathleen Kennedy is fired - or steps down from President of Lucasfilm - I will pay to see Episode IX in theaters. No apology or cancellation of RJ's trilogy needed.

2 hours ago, John said:

Nope. Just search for the term “Mattris” or “Mattriss” across the forum and see for yourself just how lowly he is regarded. 

We’re all sick of his crap. 

Says the person that...

... was wrong about Boba Fett just being popular because of his costume (Fett located the Millennium Falcon for Darth Vader and earned his respect, claimed his bounty - Han Solo)

... linked a complete nonsense article that claimed that Disney had recouped its investment in Lucasfilm. But the article contained no figures except box office grosses.

... was incorrect in saying that the prequels "ruined the franchise" when the next Star Wars film earned over $2 billion

... blamed Solo on "a general lack of interest in a spinoff about a character that died in another movie 3 years ago, and is now being portrayed by a different actor", lackluster marketing, poor trailers, competition from other films, a "half-baked" movie that "just isn't all that great", coming out too soon, the average moviegoer had "no idea" it was coming out, and...

- points to TLJ's "A" Cinema score as evidence that TLJ was well received, but...

- admits there IS a TLJ backlash, but...

- says that it had "nothing to do with Solo's box office failure"

- says people in this thread are using me "for easy entertainment value" but are 'sick of my crap'

- called me out for posting here for months when he's doing the same

Have I ruined TLJ for you @John? Am I making you feel bad about the state of Star Wars? Then stop responding to me... or leave this thread!

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

you're attempting to dismiss the millions of disillusioned fans that have expressed themselves by commenting as "trolls, people that can't spell, and people that spew insults at everyone"? 

No, I'm saying I avoid comment sections because those are the kind of people that seem to make up the majority there. And I'm sure some SW fans, but not all, fall in there somewhere. 

51 minutes ago, Mattris said:

@SF1_freeze and @Muldoon agree with me. I thank them for their bravery and support.

Well if nothing else, I am a former fan who truly hated TLJ.

'Thank them for their bravery'? If what you say is true @Mattris that the fandom is split and millions of them are all in agreement that TLJ was a failure, then how exactly is it brave to share an opinion that's the same as yours? Is it brave to share that opinion here? No, ever since the release a number of us have come out with negative views of TLJ.

I disagree with @John as I'm not necessarily sick of reading your posts and your contributions, but tired of your stale arguments, and crude reductionist views of the fandom and state of the franchise. You're hinging too much upon speculation and are concerned about matters that you or I couldn't possibly have any insight into, and beyond that I think you're hinging too much upon some cultural nostalgic view of the franchise versus the possibility of Star Wars films diverging from the norm. 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

'Thank them for their bravery'? If what you say is true @Mattris that the fandom is split and millions of them are all in agreement that TLJ was a failure, then how exactly is it brave to share an opinion that's the same as yours? Is it brave to share that opinion here? No, ever since the release a number of us have come out with negative views of TLJ.

I disagree with @John as I'm not necessarily sick of reading your posts and your contributions, but tired of your stale arguments, and crude reductionist views of the fandom and state of the franchise. You're hinging too much upon speculation and are concerned about matters that you or I couldn't possibly have any insight into, and beyond that I think you're hinging too much upon some cultural nostalgic view of the franchise versus the possibility of Star Wars films diverging from the norm. 

@John said "I'm pretty sure every JWFan that has heard of or encountered [me] disagrees with/is repulsed by [me] and [my] opinions." This is the only thread I have visited regarding this topic, and I realize that am vastly outnumbered opinion-wise. I called expressing support for me and my 'repulsive' opinions "brave". Sue me.

I would bet my JWFan account that practically every one of my "stale arguments" and theories are correct in reality. What of my speculation doesn't add up?

I'm fine with "the possibility of Star Wars films diverging from the norm". But the absolute shit that Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy tried to pass off as a Star Wars saga film has greatly angered many Star Wars fans... and underwhelmed/disappointed many of the general public. Among dozens of major issues in TLJ, the ruining of Luke Skywalker has been the most damaging. Even the new characters aren't consistent with their portrayals in TFA. Trust me, a significant portion of fans are done with this nonsense until change at the top is perceived. What a mess.

Thank goodness for John Williams' contributions. If nothing else, the scores are the films' silver linings.