Star Wars Disenchantment

John

26 minutes ago, dougie said:

bde93d0c75d44b269912e681a6b6bd75.gif

Also this:

starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-9851.jpg?

Knowing that they turn to Anakin for help and what he's going to do - its all very effective. And of course we do end up seeing them lying dead, as well.

Decent film.

Its a bit ubrupt, but more effective than not, I think.

There definitely should have been some internal conflict on Anakin's face at that moment, instead of Christensen's trademark "tilt head forward + look at own forhead = menacing"

13 hours ago, Mattris said:

Who is Rey and why is she so powerful without any Force training?

When Episode 9 explains this will you shut up about it?

But it won't.

I should add, justifiably so. Yes, its hardly ideal to have such an inexplicably powerful heroine, but I think trying to jump through hoops in order to the explain it - in the concluding film, no less - would be even worst.

Sometimes, you as a writer have to acknowledge that you've written yourself into a corner and do damage mitigation, instead of trying to recontextualize the entire work.

Episode IX has much, much larger and more important hurdles to overcome than this.

Lets put judgement and humour aside for a moment.

Even as someone who can empathize with some of @Mattris' points, I just want to hear how he thinks JJ Abrams - who's only just now finished principal photography on a film that's out this December - could recontextualize multiple elements of two previous films, while also telling its own story, work around the death of a major cast member, incorporate new characters into the narrative, provide a satisfying conclusion to all three films, and explain their significance to the cycle as a whole.

Let's assume (for the sake of argument) that there is an actual need for IX to recontextualize stuff - how on earth can it be made possible?! Lets hear it!

The video I recently posted in this thread could explain why she's so powerful. How it fits into the storytelling I don't know.  My guess is that Lando's cameo has to do with this, as the lightsaber was last seen in Cloud City. 

6 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

For example:

STAR WARS

EPISODE IX

THE GALAXY RECLAIMED

Dark years have passed since the resistance

last time evaded the DARK LORD KYLO REN....

Two things: First, your text crawl is three times the length used in these films. Second, Star Wars films are always structured so that if you didn't follow the content of the crawl, you could still glean the essentials of it from the film, so we're back to square one, anyway.

It cannot be done.

1 minute ago, Fabulin said:

And make the film more LOTR-like.

By which you mean what? make it longer? more nonlinear?

I think a relativelly concise running time (two to two-and-a-half hours at most) is a hallmark of Star Wars as a series. Its more action-adventure than epic.

But even with three hours, telling the film's own narrative, concluding the trilogy and reconciling elements of previous films is damn near impossible.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

With the resistance decimated, the chance of this film having the scale of an epic is quite slim.

That makes no sense whatsoever. 

Why aren't the Resistance the Republic army? What was the government after the Empire? In Episode VII, they kept saying "The Republic" over and over again as if avoiding saying Coruscant.

47 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But even with three hours, telling the film's own narrative, concluding the trilogy and reconciling elements of previous films is damn near impossible.

Oh, bullshit. Even 2 hours is plenty of time.  I'm not sure how much reconciliation there really needs to be.  It just needs to tell a story. 

37 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

If we go from the handfull of resistance fighters from the end of The Last Jedi to a fully-recovered resistance at the beginning of IX, I'd be calling "cop-out" at the screen at the top of my lungs.

You have a few good points, Chen. There's not much to work with for the Resistance initially, and even if they can gather support its have to be over a fair sized time jump between episodes, in which case the First Order should have no trouble increasing their already outnumbering and overwhelming forces. The Resistance is not going to be a ful force army, and it probably will not get to the point it was at in The Force Awakens. I feel that predictions of a guerilla style force are quite accurate, with a few small units playing big roles.

4 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Why aren't the Resistance the Republic army? What was the government after the Empire? In Episode VII, they kept saying "The Republic" over and over again as if avoiding saying Coruscant.

The new movies' weird attempt to ignore the prequels bothers me...

1 minute ago, dougie said:

When Rey hears Luke's lightsaber calling to her, it's not just her as a child who is screaming.........

4 hours ago, dougie said:

Isn't that normal? They tell the story that occurs after the events of Episode IV, V and VI. 

I don't know what the suits are thinking (probably just money), but Abrams himself said he wanted to bring back the magic of the OT, because that was his Star Wars. 

If I’m not mistaking The Last Jedi is the first star wars to show on screen suicide attacks.

There are two suicide attacks plus an attempt showed in this movie.

Unnecessary in a Star Wars.

What about ROTJ when the A-wing crashes into the Star Destroyer?

I don't have any problem with Holdo's sacrifice. It was a great scene.  And Finn was trying to be noble, which really showed how much his character changed from initially trying to run away. 

Seems like Captain Marvel is suffering the same fate as The Last Jedi and is being review bombed on Rotten Tomatoes; the "want to see" score was 91% earlier this week and is currently sitting at 60%, no doubt a reaction to Brie Larson's "white men" comments.

Once again trolls prove that the user rating system on that site is broken and is absolutely, verifiably suspect to manipulation (if the "want to see" score for Captain Marvel drops below 60%, the movie will debut with a "rotten" audience score.

She was trying to make sure the non-white, non-male reporters get their chance to interview her and get their stories out there. She is using her position to advance a more even playing field. The horror...

That's not the way to go about that sort of thing and we all know it.

Its not a biggie for me, and I certainly wouldn't condemn a film for it (I do believe is seperating the artist from the art) but it is bollocks and should be recognised as such.