Star Wars Disenchantment

John

I'm confused as to why a film from The Walt Disney Company would portray capitalism as a bad thing, considering the Mouse's ultimate agenda. Instead, you'd think TLJ would portray the business people on Canto Blight as heroic and the Rebellion's secret weapon to defeat the Empire, by using their mysterious stock market powers.

I’m a little surprised Rian Johnson is still on for a whole trilogy after how divisive TLJ turned out to be. It’s basically guaranteed to appeal to only half the potential audience. Oh well, maybe they gamble that that’s still good numbers, and those who love TLJ *really* love TLJ, so, maybe that translates into toy sales, or something.

Of course, they’ve already changed directors for three movies—Rogue One, Solo, and Episode IX—so, who knows what will happen.

4 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I am still chuckling that it is now considered a political statement to say animal cruelty is bad.

As I said, it's like IQs have dropped sharply in the last few years. That, or someone is doing a bang-up job politicising the hell out of EVERYTHING, for some form of political gain.

9 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I never said that. If you want to debate/discuss this issue, fine. But please stop putting words in my mouth.

You need to chill out. That comment wasn't referring to anyone here at all, rather the general hypocrisy of this new-wave of perpetually-outraged "fans" (a vocal minority at that) who can't stand being told such controversial "politically motivated" ideas as 'animal cruelty is bad,' when their beloved series was pushing political agendas as far back as the OT.

2 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Sorry, but the Star Wars overkill/fatigue excuse is nonsense. People will always like to see a new Star Wars... if it's well made, respectful to the characters/lore. Also, is it too much to ask that the film-makers don't offend/insult/accuse their audience?

I realise offence is subjective, but is there really that much to be “offended” by in a Star Wars film?

39 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I'm confused as to why a film from The Walt Disney Company would portray capitalism as a bad thing, considering the Mouse's ultimate agenda. Instead, you'd think TLJ would portray the business people on Canto Blight as heroic and the Rebellion's secret weapon to defeat the Empire, by using their mysterious stock market powers.

After the relative financial success of TFA, my theory is that Disney gave Kennedy and company the freedom to do practically anything. They decided to pander to the Bernie Sanders crowd, who have been told - or honestly believe - that capitalism and the stock market are evil.

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

I realise offence is subjective, but is there really that much to be “offended” by in a Star Wars film?

To the Star Wars community, what Kathleen Kennedy (and co.) is doing to Star Wars has been taken as an offence. A substantial percentage of the fan-base (world-wide) is extremely disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

I think people are used to rolling their eyes at general Hollywood preachiness; where it really stings is how they made Luke Skywalker unheroic, and then killed him off. How did they not get that Luke Skywalker was a childhood hero for a whole generation? For me probably the single greatest fictional hero of my childhood. It was a very strange decision.

Oddly this was the part of the movie that kept me fascinated. I kind of liked how Luke was nothing how he was expected to be, in real life or in the "myth" that Rey mentions in TFA. Not everyone handles pressure really well, and despite his heroics in the OT, he eventually collapsed under the weight of his greatness. I thought it was a very realistic and relatable human portrayal of Luke.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

As I said, it's like IQs have dropped sharply in the last few years. That, or someone is doing a bang-up job politicising the hell out of EVERYTHING, for some form of political gain.

You need to chill out. That comment wasn't referring to anyone here at all, rather the general hypocrisy of this new-wave of perpetually-outraged "fans" (a vocal minority at that) who can't stand being told such controversial "politically motivated" ideas as 'animal cruelty is bad,' when their beloved series was pushing political agendas as far back as the OT.

Was someone else complaining about politics in these new SW films? Fans seem to be "perpetually-outraged" because these films are disappointing - or flat out terrible. At best, Solo is a mediocre, uninspired, action film... and a financial failure.

While most believe that 'animal cruelty is bad', so blatantly (and needlessly) inserting it into a SW film (in the form of horse racing) then literally stampeding the elite-class of the gambling city is "politically motivated". Political elements in the OT were handled subtlety.

The fans a "vocal minority"? We may be vocal, but rest assured, our financial support of Lucasfilm's SW films/products is not a minority in term of dollars.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

She did have a satisfying arc actually. A lot of it is about how she finds out that she must follow her own path, and not the ways of the Skywalkers.

So the “arc” tends upwards and upwards, as she learns and discovers and grows all by herself, and never makes mistakes or lets anyone down or has to sacrifice or is asked to follow anything other than her own will.

51 minutes ago, Mattris said:

To the Star Wars community, what Kathleen Kennedy (and co.) is doing to Star Wars has been taken as an offence. A substantial percentage of the fan-base (world-wide) is extremely disappointed.

You mean 80 guys without a life, too many collectible action toys and substantial anger issues?

image.png

Just now, Pellaeon said:

While they’re going around recasting the OT, I think it would be great to have Natalie Portman come back as the new Leia.

I'd rather have Grey DeLisle as Leia.

2 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

It's not capitalism, it's war profiteering TLJ shows and frames as bad.

It’s a trite message that doesn’t work in a fictional universe where the war is painted as a cosmic struggle between good and evil. “The only fight. Against the dark side. Through the ages, I've seen evil take many forms. The Sith. The Empire. Today, it is the First Order. Their shadow is spreading across the galaxy. We must face them. Fight them. All of us.”

TLJ makes clear implications that there might well be something beyond even the First Order or Resistance ultimately profiting from both sides remaining in a perpetual state of conflict. A pretty accurate reflection of what's happening in the real world, if you bother digging deep enough on where the money is going.

Hell, these days they barely hide their real motivations in justifying wars. Why would an intergalactic war be any different? Very easy to just paint something as "Good Vs Evil" to justify it to the masses.

So yes, TLJ paints profiteering warmongers as the real enemies of democracy and freedom, not capitalism itself.