Star Wars Disenchantment

John

I vividly recall being surrounded by people that loved the prequels when they were coming out. I was the only one bored by Yoda fighting Christopher Lee in Attack of the Clones, which is not something that should be boring under any circumstances.

I find it absurd how @Mattris trashes the new movies, the characters, and the crew and then lumps all the blame onto Kathleen Kennedy simply because she is easy to scapegoat thanks to the lackluster accusations this guy is throwing at her. 

Mattris, your game is old. There's no one in the galaxy left for you to swindle. See ya around kid.

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

And to make matters worse, it was produced and released after Han Solo had been killed in a previous film. 

How is this relevant at all?  The same would be true if they made a movie about Obi Wan, Boba Fett, Yoda, etc. 

You really are stupid. 

And trolls like you are sending death threats on Twitter?  Real mature. Admit that you just have issues with women and get some counceling. 

2 minutes ago, Demodex said:

How is this relevant at all?  The same would be true if they made a movie about Obi Wan, Boba Fett, Yoda, etc. 

You really are stupid. 

I know. Rogue One was made after the Death Star was destroyed but hey.

The prequels were made after, essentially, everyone in them from the OT (Vader, Kenobi, Yoda, etc.) had died. 

It really is a poor move by Mattress.

I knew I had heard that term recently. Apologize immediately, or I'll be ignoring your posts

I apologize, but only so you will keep arguing with me. 

In recent years, my appreciation of the PT has only been improved.

Well then you are lost!  The PT sucked. 

28 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Rian Johnson seems like a cool dude.

Using profanity and tossing insults when speaking with fans on Twitter is incredibly unprofessional. Pablo Hidalgo does it, as will. This turns people off big-time. Crazy that Kathleen Kennedy is allowing them to do continue doing this.

5 minutes ago, Demodex said:

You didn't. Solo just didn't gather enough interest. 

How would you know if you didn't see it?  Just STFU already. 

"Didn't gather enough interest" is putting it lightly. It's a Star Wars film that's going to loose money. This is not a fluke. It failed because tons of Star Wars fans intentionally skipped it because of the nonsense coming out of Lucasfilm (TLJ, Twitter insults, SJW droid, Lando could be pansexual, etc). Accept it.

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I find it absurd how @Mattris trashes the new movies, the characters, and the crew and then lumps all the blame onto Kathleen Kennedy simply because she is easy to scapegoat thanks to the lackluster accusations this guy is throwing at her. 

Mattris, your game is old. There's no one in the galaxy left for you to swindle. See ya around kid.

Lackluster accusations? Like what? Bring to attention that she's failed at her job. Kathleen Kennedy is running out of people "to swindle".

I can't read his post since I put him on ignore, so I'll pretend his latest post says "I'm sorry, fellas! I've been a naughty boy. I've seen the error of my ways! Let's shake on it and be pals!".

13 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Using profanity and tossing insults when speaking with fans on Twitter is incredibly unprofessional. Pablo Hidalgo does it, as will. This turns people off big-time. Crazy that Kathleen Kennedy is allowing them to do continue doing this.

Dude, grow a spine. The only people who Johnson has called out on Twitter are those who have insulted members of the cast and crew, like harassing Kelly Marie Tran on Instagram or insulting a producer below a tweet about his father's death. Rian Johnson is a good guy who has no hate against you. You are seriously grasping at straws by attempting to villainize the man.

8 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I know. Rogue One was made after the Death Star was destroyed but hey.

The prequels were made after, essentially, everyone in them from the OT (Vader, Kenobi, Yoda, etc.) had died. 

It really is a poor move by Mattress.

There a distinct difference, though. Rogue One and the prequels were story-based. Solo was a movie about the title character. Many fans are still in mourning/shock from Han's death (murder). Making a movie featuring a boy-ish, immature Han so soon after feels wrong. At the very least, it's poor timing. And that's KK's fault.

6 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I apologize, but only so you will keep arguing with me. 

Well then you are lost!  The PT sucked. 

Ok, but please no more name-calling. You don't want to be like Rian Johnson and Pablo Hidalgo, do you?

I didn't say I liked the prequels. But I appreciate them more now.

Episode 9 will more than make up for Solo. 

As far as it being too soon for Solo because he died in TFA, that's just bullshit. He's a movie character. People were done mourning him in February 2016. 

20 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Ok but please no more name-calling. You don't want to be like Rian Johnson and Pablo Hidalgo, do you?

I call out sexism when I see it. 

31 minutes ago, John said:

Dude, grow a spine. The only people who Johnson has called out on Twitter are those who have insulted members of the cast and crew, like harassing Kelly Marie Tran on Instagram, or insulting a producer below a tweet about his father's death. Rian Johnson is a good guy who has no hate against you. You are seriously grasping at straws by attempting to villainize the man.

It's fine that Johnson is calling-out the people who threaten others. But using profanity or name-calling (even to repeat what others have said) is not. It's childish and unprofessional. The threatening fans are less than 1% of the total and shouldn't be considered when addressing fans' legitimate complaints of the films.

Also, it don't help when you call complaining fans manbabies.

Considering the mess that was TLJ, Rian Johnson is not a "good guy" to most fans. While he may not "hate" us, some have "villainized" him because he made a poor film that disrespects and/or doesn't advance most of its characters.

4 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Episode 9 will more than make up for Solo. 

As far as it being too soon for Solo because he died in TFA, that's just bullshit. He's a movie character. People were done mourning him in February 2016. 

I call out sexism when I see it. 

How was I sexist?

@Mattris, does it matter?  Star Wars is more than just a movie, yes, I'll give you that, but is it so worth getting so worked up over?  Yes, there are issues with the "sequels."  Why?  Because there are issues with Hollywood, and issues with us.  It is to be expected.

What is the best thing to do?  Simple.  Just listen to the rich music that Williams wrote for the movies and be grateful that he did so.

Live long and prosper, and may the Music be with you. 

55 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Swearing at these morons is all they understand. Using reason is too complex for their tiny, and potentially sociopathic, minds.

He's obviously fed up with the constant bullshit.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, Mattris said:

It's fine that Johnson is calling-out the people who threaten others. But using profanity or name-calling (even to repeat what others have said) is not. It's childish and unprofessional. The threatening fans are less than 1% of the total and shouldn't be considered when addressing fans' legitimate complaints of the films.

Dude, don't be a wuss. This is the internet. If you're gonna get triggered by people using strong language to emphasize a point, you shouldn't even be a member of this forum.

Also, it don't help when you call complaining fans manbabies.

You completely pulled this quote out of context. He was responding to a Twitter user who was fed up with a guy intentionally trying to start baseless arguments with her about TLJ. On a tweet honoring the memory of Carrie Fisher, of all things. Johnson's response here was perfectly reasonable and indeed accurate.

Considering the mess that was TLJ, Rian Johnson is not a "good guy" to most fans.

It has been proven time and again that TLJ haters are not a majority. You are simply wrong here.

43 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Many fans are still in mourning/shock from Han's death (murder). Making a movie featuring a boy-ish, immature Han so soon after feels wrong. At the very least, it's poor timing. And that's KK's fault.

I guarantee you that wasn't even a factor.

35 minutes ago, Mattris said:

How was I sexist?

Seriously?  You're asking that after bitching about strong lead female characters?

5 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

@Mattris, does it matter?  Star Wars is more than just a movie, yes, I'll give you that, but is it so worth getting so worked up over?  Yes, there are issues with the "sequels."  Why?  Because there are issues with Hollywood, and issues with us.  It is to be expected.

What is the best thing to do?  Simple.  Just listen to the rich music that Williams wrote for the movies and be grateful that he did so.

Live long and prosper, and may the Music be with you. 

Thank you for this... one of the best (and non-partisan) posts I've seen in a while. I'm truly grateful for John Williams' scores for these films - the best thing to come out of them, without a doubt. I'm cautiously optimistic for what J.J. has in store for Episode 9. (If it's not the best of the trilogy, I'll be truly disappointed.) But its score... I have no worries.

May the Music be with us all!

50 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Considering the vile shit spewed at him by those petty, bitter and entitled fans, I think his replies are fairly reasonable. 

These kind of people send constant negativity toward him and are completely unable to empathize with what that might be like for a person to be having to always be filtering out hateful, hateful vitriol directed at them personally, day in and day out.  Yeah, I'd say it was reasonable.

I just hate this idea that creators are obligated to engage with "fans" in the modern social media age.  They owe us nothing!

21 minutes ago, Mattris said:

If it's not the best of the trilogy, I'll be truly disappointed.

I'll bet good money it wouldn't be.

Concluding chapters don't have a good track record, and for very understandable reasons; and that will hold all the more true if Abrams would feel compelled to provide a strong conclusion not just for this trilogy, but the entire nonet.

I have issues with both entries in the sequel trilogy (none of which  being attributed to any alledged agenda but rather to storytelling), but at the end of the day I like them both fine. I'll probably "like" IX, as well, but I'm really not expecting it to be the best.

I don't have any existential problem with strong female leads as some seem to.  I do think, however, that instead of filmmakers focusing on how "strong" they could make a female character, they could instead focus on making that character compelling.  There is little compelling about most stock damsels in distress.  Why?  Because they do not correspond much to reality, to how people, both male and female think and act.  

But, a female character that is overly strong and self-confident?  That smashes the odds set against her?  Many men get uncomfortable, because they themselves are conflicted, have doubts, feel powerless over their lives.  They prefer to see fellowmen overcoming the odds in that way. 

In moderation, this kind of approach is fine in characters, male and female.  But, they are not always compelling, because, again, they don't correspond to most people's realities. 

As Chesterton said, the most compelling characters are ordinary people in extraordinary situations.  If you want to find a truly great female character, look no further than Bronte's Jane Eyre.  

Here, we have a person with ambition and talent, sensitivity and strength, who finds herself in a life that has little regard for any of this.  But, she does not become bitter, and does not become suddenly powerful over her destiny.  She suffers, she grows, she finds the strength to make the right choices, she changes those around her by her example.  And she is a well rounded human character that does not need to be justified with the moniker "strong." 

Rey comes closer to this standard in TLJ than in TFA.  To me, she became too powerful in the Force too soon.  She needed to grow as person before she could fully embrace and use  the power granted to her.  The jump jars me.  But, I don't blame agenda.  I just think storytelling has become something of a rare art.  Too much instant gratification.             

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Well, we humans are an organism like any other; and the basic function of any organism is to reproduce itself, y'know...

Yeah but I don't want to! And it sucks that social taboos evolved around it when if you dare to defy the status quo "you're just not one of us".

4 hours ago, Mattris said:

Quote where I said that. I, like most intelligent people, have an issue with poorly written characters - male or female. I thought I made this clear. 

You complained in the other thread that Kennedy's agenda ruined it because she made the lead characters female and the men all have flaws.  I didn't even notice that when I watched the movie three times.  

Now you're backpedalling to say your complaining was due to poorly written characters and not that they were female.

So which is it?

I hope all you trolls stay home when Episode 9 comes out. The theaters will be overcrowded as it is. 

People complaining about Rey being too strong in the Force is silly. She's a vergeance in the Force. She's going to be as strong as Anakin. And she bests Luke because he is not using the Force. 

2 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

Wait....who thinks Rey doesn't have flaws??????

Butthurt "fans"

Just now, Margo Channing said:

Anyone else want to watch AOTC with me?

Oh god no. 

5 hours ago, Demodex said:

Seriously?  You're asking that after bitching about strong lead female characters?

I was not "bitching" about strong lead female characters. I, like most intelligent people, have an issue with poorly written characters - male or female. I thought I made this clear.

Though, I did make the connection that the protagonists of the sequel trilogy and Rogue One are good-looking, white, British actresses. What a coincidence!

You're an ass. You most certainly were bitching about Kennedy's agenda that led to all the women being strong characters who dominated over flawed males. Your memory must be failing. See a doctor. 

Rey has flaws. Chief among them is she is Far TOO TRUSTING! A flaw possibly passed along thru her mother. In TLJ this flaw very nearly cost her not only her life but It very nearly cost the entire galaxy a doomed fate.