Star Wars Disenchantment

John

Right.

I can usually take it, but at the end of the day its kind of random what  kind of provocation (and they are provocations for provocation's sake, no doubt) gets to you and what doesn't, and when it does or does not.

I think the only two times I vented were the post I struck-through above, and another one in an older thread when I was suffering from sleep deprivation.

I just think we could all benefit from talking about movies and scores, and not about each other.

19 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

berating the audience for allowing this to happen.

People are annoyed because a lot of the audience like this to happen.

I'm reminded of a sad conversation I had yesterday. Millions of Spaniards would welcome a dictatorship with open arms (in fact, a lot of the steps were being taken), and today it's really easy to make a list of undesirables to put in jail. And we talked about how we could leave the country.

People who don't want to believe a lot of insane crazy shit that people would support are fooling themselves.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

And the Avengers (the original and the recent film), and Indiana Jones (especially 3 and the alledged forth one), and Harry Potter - not that its anyone buisness, but still - more than enough films to discuss inteligently, as opposed to throwing smarmy comments at members of the board.

Besides being blockbusters, most of these films are part of a serialized franchise. I have a fascination with the use of the multi-film form in storytelling, so naturally I will participate in discussions of movies in big franchises.

All of this however is irrelevant to the discussion, and we would be better off referring to one's arguments rather than one's filmgoing or participation-in-discussions habits. I don't recall ever examining the habits of another member of the board. Pity some others can't extend the favor.

Amigo, I understand you don't wish to talk about this subject, but I ask this of genuine curiosity: do you not understand what multiple people have been saying as far as the difference between having a discussion, and touting the same talking points over and over again, packaged in much the same way time and time again? If you do see the difference, where do you, Chen, personally draw the line? When does a conversation get stale to you?

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Combating it? Yeah, right...

One does not combat hostility by snarkily implying disingenuousness on the part of others, especially when said "others" have never done the same (this post being the exception to the rule).

You still want this post read, so why put the slashes through it?

15 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

You still want this post read, so why put the slashes through it?

No, I don't. I just don't think that deleting the entire content of a post (especially after other members have already responded to it) is fair. So I just struck through it to signal my regret of having written it. That others sink to ad hominem arguments doesn't mean I have to.

15 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I understand you don't wish to talk about this subject, but I ask this of genuine curiosity: do you not understand what multiple people have been saying as far as the difference between having a discussion, and touting the same talking points over and over again

I don't have an issue talking about that. I have an issue with irrelevant provocations that seek to disprove another member's logic (in this case, my own) not through counter-arguments but through snarkily implying that said member's persona is disingenious ("present yourself as poor victim"), pretentious ("your humble self") or ignorant ("vapid ways"). That has no place in a civil discussion. Here's a fine example of what a healthy discussion is:

On 17.6.2018 at 12:32 AM, John said:

The problem is that the film isn't a two (and a half, unfortunately) hour excuse to exhibit this world.

Its there to tell a story, with this world as a mere stage.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I didn't think the Canto Bight subplot was exhibited excessively. I certainly wouldn't compare its length to the much more exhaustive political scenes in the prequels. I felt we had plenty of time, narrative-wise, to explore what was simultaneously going on with Luke and Rey on Ahch-To.

Both myself and John stated our opinions and our (valid) logic and had a gracious difference of opinions, and agreed to not press the issue further. We didn't start hurtling insults, no matter how subtle, at each other.

And I don't think we're recycling the same points. I myself didn't fully make up my mind on how I felt about the film until quite recently. Furthermore, in the wake of the fan backlash that fueled the first twenty pages of this thread, I feel like others have been hardened in their positive opinion of the film. So I deemed it valuable to restate my point of view, as someone who doesn't agree with the disillusioned fans' criticisms, but who is not very taken with the film, either.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

So I deemed it valuable to restate my point of view, as someone who doesn't agree with the disillusioned fans' criticisms,

SJW!

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

but who is not very taken with the film, either.

Neckbeard!

https://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-correspondents/five-ways-to-save-star-wars

An article I came across with thoughts the author claims can set Star Wars back on track. Whatever that means...

11 minutes ago, Jerry said:

https://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-correspondents/five-ways-to-save-star-wars

An article I came across with thoughts the author claims can set Star Wars back on track. Whatever that means...

Wow, I don’t agree with a single word of this.

Hostility is irrelevant. Small minded creatures who critcize what they do not understand.

32 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Not happening!

Yeah, I like Chris and while he makes some good points (in theory) in this and otherwise, his affinity to the prequels is...unusual.

The way he says that the overarching story of Star Wars (supposedly, that of the redemption of Anakin) was “probably far from fully formed in the writer-director’s mind” in 1977 is the understatement of the decade, if not intentionally naive.

Also, his idea that Anakin’s Force ghost would reveal to Kylo the error of his ways is: a) setting Lucas’ revisions to the story in stone further; b) the definition of Deus ex-Machina and c) wrongfully assuming that Kylo is inevitably meant to turn back to the light at all, which always struck me as a cop-out and as the worst way to follow in the tracks of the originals.

I absolutely am baffled by the love for such a poor composer as giachinno. He is so seriously mediocre with an occasional decent and 1 masterful work. 

This makes people hostile towards me. Hanz zimmer lovers to, usually the same crowd.

I've tried so many times to listen to Star Trek: TMP and every time the main titles ends, it just becomes background noise. My mind wanders off and I forget what I'm listening to. I can't understand it. Maybe the complete score's too much? I know, I'll recreate the original album! Ha-HA! This is it! Now the score will grow on me!...nope, still boring. Maybe the album's too short! Of course! Let's try again!...nope, god, this score is boring. 

Maybe I'll like Final Frontier?...well, the funky Klingon stuff is cool, I guess..still zoning out...

First Contact? AWESOME main theme...rest is...zzzz...

I need a fun space adventure score, let's see, maybe...YES! Last Starfighter! THIS is the real deal! Thank you, Craig Safan!

If it's any consolation, Jerry Goldsmith is otherwise my favorite composer. I just don't care about his Star Trek music. Star Wars music, even less so. 

2 minutes ago, Sharky said:

What drags ST:TMP down for me slightly is the ghostwritten Fred Steiner cues. Other than that it's pretty much perfect.

Stuff like that is sometimes necessary on a production that's desperate to beat the clock.

Because it's freaking BORING?

Last Starfighter is washing away the boredom right now. It's fun! It's whimsical! It has bounce and vigor! Everything Star Trek and Star Wars music never was quite on that level.

15 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Because it's freaking BORING?

Last Starfighter is washing away the boredom right now. It's fun! It's whimsical! It has bounce and vigor! Everything Star Trek and Star Wars music never was quite on that level.

And there is hostility. Music on an order better than almost all JW music save a handful.

STTMP is more than meets the ear. For some they might need to notch up more listening experience to appreciate it. Much of it is more textual than melodic/fanfaric. Revisit it sometime and use it as a meditating tool or something. Or marvel at how it influenced many of his subsequent scores in the 80s.

I agree that FC can be a hard slog. Insurrection has more variety, and Nemesis has many stunning highlights in between all the moody ambience.

Of course! I've heard little highlights throughout all of them (FC's main theme is probably my favorite thing to come out of Star Trek music). I just haven't been captivated by any of the scores as a whole. And I can find textures interesting as much as the next chap.