Star Wars Disenchantment

John

Man, I love First Contact. His son did well, too, I was impressed when I found out which cues were written by him! I originally thought it was a nepotism thing.

I'd include this in the Getting Down thread if it extended beyond Williams, listen to that slick-ass beginning:

And of course there's all the sexy music Jerry wrote for the Borg Queen and Data.

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

STTMP is my least favorite Goldsmith Star Trek score.  Probably the best on a technical level or something but there's nothing for me to latch onto emotionally.  

*checks title of thread*  Oh yeah, Not Mr. Big? Well hopefully your ass is big enough to shove it!

15 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

STTMP is my least favorite Goldsmith Star Trek score.  Probably the best on a technical level or something but there's nothing for me to latch onto emotionally.  

I'm sure Jerry felt the same about the film. Ironically only character with any detectable personality or relatable motivation is V'Ger.   

It's definitely a somewhat cold score, but it's magnificent.  Though come to think of it, the Ilia/Decker stuff is plenty emotional.  Really sensuous theme and I love how Jerry scores their "melding" like an interdimensional/interspecies sex scene.

The fact that Disney told Lucasfilm to f*ck off when they asked to push the SOLO release date to December because of their frustration w/the constant production problems on these movies, and now the Star Wars stories are on hold (which I guessed a few days ago after McGregor signed up for the Shining sequel), tells you everything you need to know about Kennedy's clout (or lack thereof) with Disney at the moment. SOLO apparently took a back seat to both Avengers and the upcoming Mary Poppins release date.  No one can really make the argument now that all's well at Lucasfilm and changes won't be coming.

Caught between frustrated management and hostile fans, the only question now is whether Kennedy lasts through Episode IX. But Disney does not tolerate much failure, and The Mouse is not as forgiving as Spielberg. 

I freaking love that Jurassic Park's end credits close on a very eerie rendition of the carnivore motif. I don't know why, it's just so cool, man.

Why is this in this thread? Because...carnivores are hostile!

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

There is more John Williams than Star Wars. That's probably just his least interesting musical universe. 

John Williams very best include Star Wars. Most here thinks its ESB. One thing is certain his very best comes from that period from 1975 to 1984. It is one of his most interesting musical universes.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Caught between frustrated management and hostile fans, the only question now is whether Kennedy lasts through Episode IX.

original.jpg

She cunt do thot! Shoot huh. Orr something!!

For my ears, John Williams' very best are Jaws/Jaws 2, Jurassic Park/The Lost World and E.T. I also particularly dig Temple of Doom, Witches of Eastwick and The Fury.

Star Wars? Meh. It's just not my thing. John Powell's Solo is the first Star Wars score I've loved.

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

The fact that Disney told Lucasfilm to f*ck off when they asked to push the SOLO release date to December because of their frustration w/the constant production problems on these movies, and now the Star Wars stories are on hold (which I guessed a few days ago after McGregor signed up for the Shining sequel), tells you everything you need to know about Kennedy's clout (or lack thereof) with Disney at the moment. SOLO apparently took a back seat to both Avengers and the upcoming Mary Poppins release date.  No one can really make the argument now that all's well at Lucasfilm and changes won't be coming.

Caught between frustrated management and hostile fans, the only question now is whether Kennedy lasts through Episode IX. But Disney does not tolerate much failure, and The Mouse is not as forgiving as Spielberg. 

MALE CHAUVINIST PIG

Well I've always felt that Star Wars needn't be the yearly release kind of franchise. Unfortunately the model made successful by the MCU means Disney/Lucasfilm need to shit out a film or two alongside their Superhero films. 

@Nick1066's linked article just says to me Disney needs a good slap on the wrist and hopefully they realize these films need time and a pure creative force behind it. There's a similar phenomenon with YouTubers needing to produce multiple videos a day like some factory production line or they risk losing the subs, the viewers and financial support from the platform itself - i.e they don't get paid.

Happy first day of summer. 

Jerry Happy first day of winter.

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I freaking love that Jurassic Park's end credits close on a very eerie rendition of the carnivore motif. I don't know why, it's just so cool, man.

That moment is absolutely FANTASTIC!  It was such a cool and smart way to end the end credits and therefore the entire sore / film.  Bloody brilliant!

It captured the tone pretty well, we leave the island in the film with a tender rendition of the main theme, then into the celebratory fanfare, but I always thought the carnivore coda was Williams reminding us in the end that the Dinosaurs are back and present new questions surrounding their return.

6 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It captured the tone pretty well, we leave the island in the film with a tender rendition of the main theme, then into the celebratory fanfare, but I always thought the carnivore coda was Williams reminding us in the end that the Dinosaurs are back and present new questions surrounding their return.

Exactly!

Just now, Margo Channing said:

Things work differently in Australia.

First day of Winter is 1st June. First day of Summer is 1st December.

Just because a government makes up something doesn't mean the actual science no longer applies!

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Just because a government makes up something doesn't mean the actual science no longer applies!

I know it's hard you Northern Hemispherians to accept, but the world doesn't revolve around you.

5 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I know it's hard your Northern Hemispherians to accept, but the world doesn't revolve around you.

It has nothing do with what hemisphere I'm in.  It's science.  Astronomical winter is the period between the shortest day of the year (the June solstice for the southern hemisphere) and the next equinox.

Now meteorological winter, the coldest period of the year, can't have such strict definitions placed on it.  Some years it might stay warmer longer than others, etc.  June 1st would just be an arbitrary date that roughly fits most years.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

It has nothing do with what hemisphere I'm in.  It's science.  Astronomical winter is the period between the shortest day of the year (the June solstice for the southern hemisphere) and the next equinox.

Now meteorological winter, the coldest period of the year, can't have such strict definitions placed on it.  Some years it might stay warmer longer than others, etc.

Screenshot_20180622-000309.png

Picking a recurring fixed date as the beginning of meteorological winter is a cultural decision, not scientific, and it has nothing to do with "hemispherism" or whatever. I promise that's the last I'll say on the matter.

If you allow me to presume you're looking for a female specimen, then you're at the wrong place, buddy.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

Things work differently in Australia.

First day of Winter is 1st June. First day of Summer is 1st December.

So you're walking around with mittens now?