Star Wars Disenchantment

John

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

First day of Winter was 1st June, but thanks!

44 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

June 21st is the first day. Today is winter solstice. Summer here starts in May except officially it begins with the longest day of the year which is today.

5 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

June 21st is the first day. Today is winter solstice. Summer here starts in May except officially it begins with the longest day of the year which is today.

It's been Winter here since 1st June. Works like that every year. We don't need you Northerners swooping in to change the dates.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

I can't get used to thinking that Australia has a winter, with snow, 'n' all. It's always been "The Amber Nectar, and shrimp on the barbie".

Geez, we were totally lied to, by Paul Hogan.

It only really snows in the Snowy Mountains. I've never seen actual snow in my life.

32 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

It's been Winter here since 1st June. Works like that every year. We don't need you Northerners swooping in to change the dates.

We dont change the date. Its a simple fact. It officially begins today with the winter solstice. Science!

14 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I've never seen actual snow in my life.

How can one live like that?

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

We dont change the date. Its a simple fact. It officially begins today with the winter solstice. Science!

Are you going by that stupid solstice/equinox crap? We just go by when it gets cold, mild and hot. Winter officially begins on 1st June.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

How can one live like that?

I dunno, I'm still alive.

Hey take it up with the Earth and the Sun. They make the rules we just observe them.

Some times our summer weather start in April or may

Weather talk?  Back to subject.  TLJ is a good movie because of this scene alone.

VkxjYnE.gif

In the same spirit as Toht's collapsable coat hanger in Raiders.  The kind of thing that actually makes you laugh out loud - at least it did me.

On 6/21/2018 at 5:52 PM, TGP said:

No room for a sense of humor or exaggeration in your brain with all that filmic insight, I guess.

Sure, if having the penultimate chapter of cinema's most lasting cinematic saga be a complete joke is the same as having a sense of humor.

40 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I watched The Last Jedi tonight looking for the things that upset people. I still didn't notice them. I still love this movie. 

Hey, I'm glad you can make that work for you. I can't watch films as shallow, hollow, lazy, preaching entertainment, but I'm happy some people can do that.

Yeah, you must love the cinematic masterpieces that the prequels are, eh?

Sorry, I don't see how it's shallow, hollow, or lazy. 

3 hours ago, Demodex said:

I watched The Last Jedi tonight looking for the things that upset people. I still didn't notice them. I still love this movie. 

Like @Demodex, I also like TLJ. I think that it's a far more involving and worthwhile film, than TFA. I don't see what's "preaching" about it...but I'd value JWfaners' opinions.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

Bette Davis Fan Network, or BDfan.

Much better idea than ...Bryan, Bridgett Dallas Cowboys! (What's her name?)

47 minutes ago, Richard said:

Like @Demodex, I also like TLJ. I think that it's a far more involving and worthwhile film, than TFA. I don't see what's "preaching" about it...but I'd value JWfaners' opinions.

Allow me to explain with 6 paragraphs of opinions partially formed by a bunch of YouTube channels I watch to validate my point of view governed by a particular lack of interaction with the outside world and humans in a genuine manner! 

5 hours ago, Demodex said:

I did notice them. It's mainly the tone that's kinda 'off' or 'different', but that was exactly what made it entertaining for me. However, if I still cared, or if this came out in 1980, I'll probably would be very upset. 

A lot of great films weren't as appreciated in their time as they are now. You'd be amazed listening to Ebert and Siskel talking about the Silence of the Lambs when it came out.

The Last Jedi isn't that kind of film.

Ebert's reaction to Aliens and Jurassic Park was just as bizarre. It seemed to disturb him a lot seeing kids in mortal peril. I guess it was something that wasn't common in cinema when he was growing up, so his response was typical of someone from his generation. But still, he could get really precious about it.

12 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

A lot of great films weren't as appreciated in their time as they are now.

So people are finally starting to appreciate The Empire Strikes Back?! I didn't realize it was such a slow burner. Seriously, we didn't have the internet back then but everyone I encountered and who saw the movie said it's just as good as Star Wars, if not better. This whole 'TESB divided the audience"  is new to me. However, it would be true if we were talking about ROTJ.

Remember, I was there ... People can't just make up stories. This is not FOX news. This is JWFan!

I know that TESB didn't lure as many people to the theatre as Star Wars did, but then again, Star Wars had the advantage of being a novelty. Everyone wanted to check it out, but not everyone became a fan. 

It's just a bunch of trolls trying to get attention online. I doubt they even have the cash to fund the project.

I don’t think cash is the problem (apparently it’s amassed $90million in pledges), it’s the delusion that Disney would let them get away with stealing their intellectual property