Star Wars Disenchantment

John

6 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

The problem, going back to the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, is that Rey is surely the protagonist across the trilogy. So plopping Luke into the middle act to have his own private little arc in his own head for two and a half hours really lags Rey’s story.

I don't think so.

Each of these three films is part of the overarching narrative, but also its own thing, especially given how they're made: one at a time, by different filmmakers. At no point was I pointing out that it's Luke's story to criticise The Last Jedi. The film's issues lie elsewhere.

Besides, its not like Rey is sitting idly in The Last Jedi. She doesn't have much of an arc, but still.

The new characters were Disney's first mistake. The sequel trilogy should have just been a continuation of the OT...Luke, Han & Leia flying around the galaxy and getting in space battles and blaster fights and lightsaber duels and blowin' stuff up. You've got R2 & 3P0 there for comic relief, and the ever reliable Chewy. Toss Lando the keys to the Falcon every once in a while and let Leia swing around a light sabre for a few minutes to satisfy the SJW's. Bob's yer Uncle, 6 billion dollar trilogy.

If it ain't broke don't fix it! Give the people what they want!

Yeah, why would you want to use a discussion board to discuss...:blink:

I think its a very interesting discussion we're having here. Certainly more engaging than the previous 26 pages.

Just now, Chen G. said:

Yeah, why would you want to use a discussion board to discuss...

What part of " over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over" is eluding you?

See, I'm okay, because I like to talk about why I like The Last Jedi over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Yeah, why would you want to use a discussion board to discuss...:blink:

I think its a very interesting discussion we're having here. Certainly more engaging than the previous 26 pages.

I won’t mince words.  I think JWFan is a lesser place since you joined.

Your faux-professorial, supercilious nonsense is tiresome and, frankly, everything you’ve ever posted is like shrill nails on a chalkboard to me.  Or a fork scratching a plate.  I view you as an enemy of all that is fun and wonderful and interesting about this messageboard.  You’re like a neck beard, personified.  If JWFan is like a bar, as esteemed and favored member TGP likes to put it, you're the drunk guy who won't stop talking loudly and makes me want to just leave and find a different watering hole.

I’ve had that bottled up for quite a while.  Maybe some people think of me in a similar way, I dunno.  Maybe I should just take another break.

Sigh.  Stu’s off the reservation again haha

I think your alright Stu, good to get this kind of thing off your chest, and this is the thread to do it.

For my part, I'm happy to give all posts a hearing.

To continue the bar analogy, I suppose I'm the kinda lonely guy who wanders in from time to time to chat.

1 minute ago, Steve McQueen said:

To continue the bar analogy, I suppose I'm the kinda lonely guy who wanders in from time to time to chat.

That's how I am most of the time.  Everyone has a night where they just lose it, I guess.

1 minute ago, Steve McQueen said:

this is the thread to do it.

This is officially the thread to absorb all the hostility of JWFan?  Goodness.  It's like an obscurial (that one's for the nerds).

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

That's how I am most of the time.  Everyone has a night where they just lose it, I guess.

I hear you brother.  :beerchug:

4 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

9AFFC936976E8735E7F285F14CA23BB987F433AD

You found it.  The perfect reaction to this thread.

As always I regret letting peevishness get the best of me.  It was immature.

24 minutes ago, TGP said:

Nick, don't you think you might just be over dramatizing this a little bit?  There must be some way you can get me in.

Remove your clothes.

Also, screw SJW Star Wars, you wanna groan, read SJW essays on Kubrick films. Holy smokes :blink:

10 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Really? what is it?

I was gonna answer that, until I realized I already did less than 24 hours ago, last page.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I won’t mince words.  I think JWFan is a lesser place since you joined.

Your faux-professorial, supercilious nonsense is tiresome and, frankly, everything you’ve ever posted is like shrill nails on a chalkboard to me.  Or a fork scratching a plate.  I view you as an enemy of all that is fun and wonderful and interesting about this messageboard.  You’re like a neck beard, personified.  If JWFan is like a bar, as esteemed and favored member TGP likes to put it, you're the drunk guy who won't stop talking loudly and makes me want to just leave and find a different watering hole.

I’ve had that bottled up for quite a while.  Maybe some people think of me in a similar way, I dunno.  Maybe I should just take another break.

Sigh.  Stu’s off the reservation again haha

He’s read “a” book on film theory for sure.

11 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Gotta link?

Check this out:

http://www.signature-reads.com/2018/05/eyes-wide-shut-meets-a-new-age-of-hetero-anxiety/

The dude brings up some valid points, and it's plausible if sometimes probable that Kubrick intended some of the things the author mentions, but some of the conclusions he reaches? Ai yai yai.

I'm just gonna say that I really like the film's fake third act (it really is a classic script structure with post-midpoint stuff, but it feels like a third act) followed by the other stuff. By managing it like this it has a climax for everyone, but also has a subtle deconstruction-reconstruction (all the arcs are a bit like this) which I like (because one thing's for sure, the film really loves Star Wars, in a more interesting way than TFA)

oh god today it's not a good day to explain myself. I need more coffee. MORE COFFEE.

This movie is very important to me, for personal reasons, but I guess it also has to do with taste. At least, while loving Star Wars (I didn't expect to love the series again), it has references beyond Star Wars itself. That and more of a worldbuilding.

Interesting.

I found the false third act to be one of the detractors of the film. Its just too much.

There's, I suppose, a discussion to be held on what makes a false third act work as opposed to not, because more often than not - they don't work all too well.

6 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Dude, take the Horcrux around your neck off and step back.

I may regret posting it, but I meant every word.  My mistake was ever clicking "Show this post" over the past months.

What did this thread used to be called? :lol:

EDIT: Oh snap! Is this the TLJ Critique thread, that junk from the Solo thread, and the SWD Support Group thread all mixed into one? If so, it is an appropriate title.