How's your hearing?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. How's your hearing?

• Perfect, no problems...
    • I've got a little hearing loss...
    • I've got some hearing loss...
    • I rely on implants/hearing aids...
    • I'm completely deaf.

I recently realized by listening to real mono recordings (remastered by me!) that one of my ear, I don't remember which one, hear a little bit less than the other.

So now, even mono sounds like stereo to me.

I'm 44, that could be worse!

6 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Extremely slight ringing in both ears when in complete silence. Not sure what that would be classified as. 

Tough to tell. At least a little hearing damage. 

Mine is just getting loud enough that it gets annoying if I wake up at 3:00 AM in the morning. Sounds like a TV is on. Incidentally, I can no longer hear a TV that's turned on...

I wouldn't say I have trouble hearing. Sometimes I strangely blank out and can't here a word. It's all muffled and stuff. That's a morning/tired thing. I guess I don't know how well others hear things, so I'm not sure how I fit in because I've only ever heard the way I hear. 

Yeah, a few minor problems. Nothing serious. Eyesight is a completely different topic though.

Okay, let's say it clear, if you think you have earing loss... and you just listened to the newly remastered version of Empire Strikes Back..well, don't panic... It's less serious than you think!

I actually had a hearing aid installed a couple of weeks ago. After my chronic tinnitus worsened considerably back in October, I've had to do something. It's so loud now, it's completely overpowering. The hearing aid is not ideal -- it creates lots or "room reverb" due to the amplification, and the white noise is just an ADDED noise to my existing, brain-produced buzz. But at least it produces a sound I can control, so my hope is that the attention will be drawn to that rather than the tinnitus.

It's all rather miserable.

I'm really terrible at monitoring the sound levels, I almost always listen to scores with the volume to the max on my headphones. My phone pops up with warnings I just ignore.

Not good If I want to hear scores later in life, but 

YOLO

Guys, I'm sorry to hear that some of you have tinnitus problems. It's my worse nightmare.

Tell me I will go blind... tell my I will don't walk anymore... okay it will change my life forever... It will be very hard.... but tell me I'll go deaf and I'll will chose the fentanyl pill.

Tinnitus just takes getting used to. At a certain point, my brain just filters it out and I’ll go weeks or months without noticing it. Though, this thread isn’t helping...

On 03/06/2018 at 5:25 AM, Margo Channing said:

What about a dog that barks and howls really loudly at everything? Can that cause hearing damage?

Yes, if you cut off the dog's ears.

17 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

...when you listen with the volume to the max.

That why I listen to Dylan "fucking loud!".

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Yes, if you cut off the dog's ears.

Ingenious! :lol:

I don't have tinnitus myself, but I can imagine it sounds better than the composer whose name should not be mentioned.

On 5.6.2018 at 1:30 PM, Taikomochi said:

Tinnitus just takes getting used to. At a certain point, my brain just filters it out and I’ll go weeks or months without noticing it. Though, this thread isn’t helping...

It's all individual. For me, it's constant. And after the worsening in October, there's no escaping it at any time -- only a matter of distracting the brain as much as possible. That's why in social circumstances, it's better than when I'm home alone, listening to music etc. But I'm slowly starting to get used to my hearing aid, at least. In addition to the tinnitus, I also have a genetic predisposition towards bad hearing (my grandfather was practically deaf at the end, and my father has bad hearing too), so I have worse hearing than normal for a 40-year-old.