41 members have voted

1. 1. How's your hearing?

• Perfect, no problems...
    • I've got a little hearing loss...
    • I've got some hearing loss...
    • I rely on implants/hearing aids...
    • I'm completely deaf.

5 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

So how did you guys all get tinnitus? Were you banging on metal with a mallet too close to your ears?

I’m only 25 so relatively young to get it. I’m not entirely convinced mine is music-related hearing loss as the 2 or 3 times it has seemed to get worse have followed a very bad cold with fluid in my ears. Or maybe it is a combination of that and the large amount of music I listen to.

7 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

How loud are you guys listening?

I would imagine I don’t listen much louder than most, but listening for hours every day is probably what does the damage, not the loudness.  And again, that’s augmented by my own ear related issues I mentioned.

Also worth noting that I was diagnosed with slight hearing loss when I was 14 and I didn’t even really listen to music then

• 1 month later...

I've been dealing with tinnitus and hyperacusis in my right ear for the last six weeks as a result of an acoustic trauma when I was fixing my garage door. This was two weeks after my back completely healed.

I whacked that garage railing good with a mallet just once without hearing protection and the pain was excruciating. No other suspect. It was that alright.

It's not really the tinnitus that bothers me much (it's only a quiet buzzing that sounds like an electric toothbrush), it's the persistent soreness and hyperacusis that's resulted from it. Hopefully that gets better soon.

I've proven to be quite accident prone over the last year.

• 4 weeks later...

So forgive the rudimentary nature of this question.

I've always heard that "sound is sound" and that it doesn't matter what kind of sound you're listening to when it comes to safe listening levels...i.e. a piece of classical music is the same as a piece of ambient music is the same as a piece of rock music is the same as an audiobook (or podcast) at the same decibel level.

So in terms of listening to something via headphones, how does this work? I'd never put my phone up to full volume listening to rock music for example, but an audiobook even maxed out in volume in a noisy environment doesn't necessarily sound "loud" at all to my ears.  I can't imagine that hearing Stephen Fry read Harry Potter at a loud volume could damage my hearing the same way a guitar solo could, so how does this work?  How do you judge how loud is "too loud" when you listen?

My right ear's been having a little bit of ringing again the past week. Taking a break from music in favor of video games. It's not to the point where my ear hurts, fortunately, it's merely annoying more than anything. Just gotta let it run its course.

People say that...but sound is sound sound is sound, right? It shouldn't matter whether you're listening via headphones or speaker at the same decibel level. 

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting question, Nick. There has to be some study on it.

I guess the "danger" of headphones is that people tend to turn the volume up too much to drown out environmental noise.

Right...agreed. 

• 8 months later...
On June 2, 2018 at 4:25 PM, Bespin said:

Okay, let's say it clear, if you think you have earing loss... and you just listened to the newly remastered version of Empire Strikes Back..well, don't panic... It's less serious than you think!

Reading through this thread again and I laughed out loud at this.

On 7/21/2018 at 6:23 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Hmmm. Okay. Here's something I've noticed.

Every time I listen to the Dunkirk score, I get this low, droning hum in both ears.

Its the sound of blood pouring out of your ears. 

I *think* I hear well, but for a while the dialogue in movies sounds a bit muddled when there's a lot of SFX. Not sure if it's my hearing or movies are badly mixed lately .It's like the sound effects bleed into the dialogue  and sometimes I can't make out what a character is saying