Anyone else think Spider-Man 2 is the best Marvel movie?

The more I read this thread, the more I get the urge to revisit Horner's Amazing Spider-Man. 

I remember tearing up when I first heard that score (I think it was the opening track). I'm a fool. But it's gleefully tied with Elfman's Batman Returns as my kind of superhero music.

There's nothing really wrong with Elfman's Spider-Man of course, Horner just makes my heart sing more.

Horner's score is fantastic.

As a film, the original Raimi Spider-Man is tied with its sequel and The Dark Knight as most iconic superhero films of the 2000s.

All the other guff is just trying to recapture the magic of those 3 films.

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Mary Jane always killed those movies for me. More specifically, the romance writing sucks.

As a kid, I identified with Peter after Mary Jane, but looking at it as an adult, holy smokes, Mary Jane is a jerk! I do like most of the scenes they have together in the second one, but the ending where she stands up her fiance at their wedding does not hold up for me.

I agree Mary Jane wasn't the right character for the Maguire movies as Peter's love interest.  Everyone that was / is a 80s/90s kid from the animated TV series knew that Gwen was Peter's first love.  They got that right in the Amazing Spider-Man films.

2 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Everyone that was / is a 80s/90s kid from the animated TV series knew that Gwen was Peter's first love. 

That's just what @gkgyver was talking about in terms of source material. 

Its just an unpopular high-school student with a crush who lives a secret life as a hero with spider-related powers fighting super villains? Great.

Everything else about it - screw the source material. What matters is that the film works.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

If I'm not mistaken, it was the very first proper movie adaption of Spider-Man ever (those hokey 70 movies aside), and its genius isn't in staying as close to the comic books as possible, but in taking what's the essence of Spider-Man, making it accessible to all audiences, bringing it to the 21st century, and treating it as a proper story of real people with fantasy elements, instead of treating it as an outlandish comic book movie, making comic book movies socially relevant and accepted among non-comic book lovers, prompting the era of superhero movies.

Its genius is in its deceptive simplicity.

Agree, although it's not that outstanding as you describe it. The flow of the movie is constantly interrupted by action scenes that don't fit into the narrative. They don't belong there, where they are and damage the pace.

23 hours ago, gkgyver said:

That suite is the musical equivalent of a parody. The only one not in on the joke is the composer.

Meanwhile AMS2 is the spiderman score I have given the most relistens (though its helped by the sessions)

One of the worst spidermen movies tho

Who cares about those failed crappy movies.

I can't be the only one who loves Peter and MJ. Kirsten was great. And polished fingernails in the underrated fun third movie was alright. Love how it makes MJ jealous and drives trash Brock insane.

I never liked 2.  And I loved 1.  Might have been an expectations thing.

Horner's Amazing is, well, Amazing.  I'm glad we got Homecoming, but I liked Garfield a lot.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:13 PM, Trent B said:

Spider-Man 2 is definitely the best of the Maguire films.  Spider-Man 3 could have been good but having two vilians and a sub par plot hurt the movie.  At least though in my opinion Christopher Young delivered the best score of the three movies.

:nod: Right on, man,...right on.

MJ's appeal was that she was the hot girl-next-door type that was the opposite of Peter.

Gwen was the best of both worlds, both intelligent and beautiful, but their relationship never seemed as potent as between Peter and MJ, in the films at least.

• 9 months later...

So I watched Spider-Man 2 again. No surprise there.

I love Peter and MJ. So many lovely scenes such as the backyard meeting, "If my enemies found out about you" on the payphone, "Punch me, I bleed", the entire riveting finale. I love them!

Those Aunt May scenes! Just that bit where she wants him to take the $20 bill for his birthday nearly makes me choke up. Real stuff.

Speaking of choking up, I'm always so devastated and moved when Peter saves the little girl from the burning building and learns someone didn't make it out. Then he's just contemplating his life and what he's supposed to do. "Am I not supposed to have what I want? What I need? What am I supposed to do?"

I don't eat chocolate cake because it's fattening and I don't drink milk because it's animal product, but this movie is like a big delicious piece of chocolate cake and a glass of milk for my soul. I love it.

People were saying it was one of the best superhero movies when it was released, which wasn't that long ago. Now, it seems like everyone has turned against it similar to what happened with the Tim Burton Batman after those Nolan borefests came out. I think they're just unable to accept that the Spider-Man trilogy has outsold most of the MCU and Peter Parker isn't the same version from that continuity.

Disney Marvel has saturated the market with its "Universe" brand so well, its online army of disciples are on-call to trash any earlier incarnations of its own properties like Spider-Man. To these people, the Raimi films are "non-canon" and are therefore disposable and ephemeral. All that matters now is pushing the current version of the brand.

"I want to tell you the truth. Here it is. I'm Spider-Man. Weird, huh? Now you know why I can't be with you. If my enemies found out about you. If you got hurt, I could never forgive myself. I wish I could tell you how I feel about you."

This is so lovely. Anyone else think Peter/MJ are one of the best power couples?