Hubris - Choral Works by John Powell (high-res formats download available exclusively on composer's official website - CD available from CDBaby)

crocodile

Extremely good deal offered on his site. I'm probably going to toss the 192/24 on my external and keep CD-quality on my computer and iPhone, but still happy to have the high-res for if I ever want it. Nice to have a digital booklet too; that's not offered on iTunes or any of the other sites from what I can tell.

The music (so far) is phenomenal. I love the extensive percussion in his film scores, but it's a nice break to have some symphonic/choral music where his voice as a composer really shines through, without the chance of anything being "buried". This release further cements my view that Powell is probably the best composer working in film (maybe even in general) today, aside from Williams. Seriously, can you imagine Giacchino putting out something of this quality?

The booklet liner notes from Powell are really moving. Very humble and personal.

Listening to the 6-track surround mix right now. If Ferdinand was a delicious drink, Solo was a splendid  appetiser, this for me is the main course.

Karol

Listening now. This really isn't my kind of music, but I'm keeping an open mind and it's all interesting enough, obviously a million times better than Doyle's impressions of America: the only impression I got from that album was that America bored him to death.

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

High-res downloads of Hubris are available exclusively from Powell's official website.

Two-channel  AIFF, FLAC and ALAC plus 6-channel FLAC. And mp3... all of that for $10.99? Extremely generous. Plus there is a PDF booklet with lyrics etc. You'd be crazy to buy it from anywhere else.

Karol

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This is the kind of generosity I'm eager to support from the music industry! And it's always nice to get more Powell. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 12:04 AM, crocodile said:

The booklet liner notes from Powell are really moving. Very humble and personal.

Listening to the 6-track surround mix right now. If Ferdinand was a delicious drink, Solo was a splendid  appetiser, this for me is the main course.

Karol

Do the liner notes contain the lyrics for the pieces?

• 6 months later...

Somehow I missed that this was already available on CD. I've been waiting for a CD release, and now that I know of it, I'm suddenly wondering if I shouldn't rather get the high-res download...