Pinar Toprak's CAPTAIN MARVEL (2019)

John

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

To answer your question, there are some Marvel scores that are solid if not exactly marvelous. Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, Elfman's portions of Avengers: Age of Ultron are all very entertaining. Ant-Man is quite fun too. I like main themes from Tyler's Iron Man 3 and Bates' Guardians of the Galaxy. And the last three might be the best of the lot (Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War).

I'm not the target audience for sure, but i own exactly zero of these (i do know most of them). 'Black Panther' is probably the relative best one.

You are probably right. I don't care about any Marvel score at all either. I am probably only interested if they tap a competent composer like say Goldenthal. I do think Doyle's Thor contain some of my favourite Marvel material though even if it's hardly great music. Black Panther was decent and one of the better ones yes, but still nothing I would listen to again.

There was a time when I would get ecstatic whenever I found a new Marvel session leak. I edited them all for a better listening, but by the time I got around to listen to them, I couldn't be bothered, that's when I realised they're not that good and deleted them all. Dark times were those.

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What's your benchmark for a GREAT score? It must be rather low?

It could be I'm using the word "great" more liberally than you would, that I use different language to describe the best of the best.  It could be that I like the Black Panther  a lot more than you do.  Probably both.  Who cares, really?  I find semantic arguments duller than dull.  I'm just getting across that I really like that score.

Conceptually, Black Panther isn't necessarily anything new...mixing western orchestra with African-style vocals, electronics and percussion. But it is executed rather well. It's a very entertaining score both in the film and on album. It doesn't really have something ypu might call a big Black Panther theme. It's more of a percussive fanfare with his name being stated on talking drums and chanted by chorus. More tribal, if that makes sense. There are some other thematic ideas attached to it. It's quite well done.

@Stefancos check out the end credits suite:

Karol

I find "Glory to Bast" to be a better summation of the main ideas of the score than the end titles personally.

I love the theme presentation that starts with (I think) finger piano

One thing I regret is that Pants doesn't have as strong of a theme as Creed. Now that is a badass score from Goransson (I'm sure Conti wouldn't object):

Karol

We like to talk about composers that would be great for Bond scores around here.  Powell is often suggested, and he would be fantastic, but I also think based on Creed and Panther that Göransson would be a really good choice for Bond as well.

All composers are new sometime.

I'm happy that Marvel is taking a leap with somebody new-ish, especially since their best score (and none of their scores are classics, unfortunately) came from a relative unknown, Göransson,  And some of their worst scores came from established names like Silvestri, Doyle, and Giacchino.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

All 3 Silvestri scores are solid.

For me, they all have brief glimpses of greatness lost in late-era Silvestri action blandness - especially his two Avengers scores.  I have nothing against Silvestri, and really liked his Ready Player One.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

For me, they all have brief glimpses of greatness lost in late-era Silvestri action blandness - especially his two Avengers scores.  I have nothing against Silvestri, and really liked his Ready Player One.

People seem to think of Silvestri as this sort of a great genius who lost his mojo. To be honest, I don't think he has changed at all in the past 30+ years. His scores were never better or worse than they are now.

Karol

He's not really a composer known for his subtlety or great intellectual complexities. He's...Silvestri. By buying his music you know pretty much exactly what you're getting into. I don't mean is a criticism really. It's just the way it is.

Karol

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

His scores used to be entertaining.  Now they are boring.

I think you just got older. They are exactly the same.

Karol

I think his low-key scores are lovely.  Things like Father of the Bride, Forrest Gump, etc.

His bigger scores really depend on the themes for me. He's strong with themes, somewhat less strong on action.  If he writes a few catchy themes and makes good use of them, I'm all for it.  I like his Back to the Future scores for that reason, although they lean so hard on the themes that their full programs are often a bit repetitive.

His Avengers scores are on the other end of the spectrum for me where, while the themes are pretty good, they aren't really utilized heavily enough to give the score a backbone.  Lots of loud action music which plays as generic to me.

Something in between like The Mummy Returns hits the sweet spot where it's full of good themes utilized well so they don't wear out their welcome for me.  Ready Player One got close to this too.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I relisten to my favorite five or six tracks from Black Panther happily.  Great score.

Which ones are those? :D

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I find "Glory to Bast" to be a better summation of the main ideas of the score than the end titles personally.

I love the theme presentation that starts with (I think) finger piano

The theme from that track is easily my favourite of the score! Really, really enjoyable.

I wonder what it represents. It isn't the main theme, but I reckon it should be.

29 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I think Silvestri used to be overrated and now he's not really underrated...just...rated. :)

Silvestri at his best is really pretty darn good. But he's not always at his best; not even when he really should be.

That makes his "average" scores all the more disappointing; because we all know they COULD have been better.

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I like Richie Rich

The first track is really fun for sure! Never remembered much of the others.

54 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Mouse Hunt is better than any of the nonsense mentioned here.

Yep, fun one too! :D

On 6/18/2018 at 9:34 AM, Stefancos said:

You didn't like Black Panther?

I loved it but pinar t. is not the listed composer 

• 8 months later...

You can hear the score right at the beginning until 07:50

What do you think?

I love how the brass sounds Howard shore-y LOTR-y, especially in the beginning.

But not a great theme, sadly. A missed opportunity.

And i quite hate how the music sounds just like every superhero score :( (duh..?)

I liked the opening minute, and some of it reminds me of Elfman's Spider-Man ostinato. Little hints of synth keyboards too that probably go with the 80s setting, but so far I'm liking what I'm hearing!

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I really like Tyler's Iron Man 3 score. Its fun

His theme encapsulates Tony Stark perfectly. And it is one of the few Marvel themes that you can actually remember.

Karol

Do I have the right to criticize this as a white heterosexual man, or is it both racist and sexist if I said it sounds as generic as they come?