Film scores that impressed John Williams

Lewya

10 hours ago, JTGL said:

Michael Giacchino said once in an interview that John Williams loved the score from UP. He got a phone call from his agent and there was someone who wants to talk with him. He was too busy to answer, but his agent told him that it was John Williams who was on the phone! They had a long talk and John told him he loved the score from UP! They became good friends after this. 

...and then the friendship sadly ended after the Rogue One incident.

I've taken elvisjones' rumors with a giant grain of salt regarding the R1 'Incident'.

Giacchino wasn't Edwards' or the other producers' choice composer, he was brought in mere weeks before release. I also think that Williams isn't the childish grudge-holder to the point he would outright dismiss Giacchino's effort. You could ask why he wasn't brought back to score Solo, but ultimately that's always been down to different directors wanting different composers and Williams' own involvement would be more rational as he would want to give a musical identity to a central character like Han Solo, not necessarily feeling the need or the time to bother with the anonymous characters in R1.

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

I've taken elvisjones' rumors with a giant grain of salt regarding the R1 'Incident'.

Giacchino wasn't Edwards' or the other producers' choice composer, he was brought in mere weeks before release. I also think that Williams isn't the childish grudge-holder to the point he would outright dismiss Giacchino's effort. You could ask why he wasn't brought back to score Solo, but ultimately that's always been down to different directors wanting different composers and Williams' own involvement would be more rational as he would want to give a musical identity to a central character like Han Solo, not necessarily feeling the need or the time to bother with the anonymous characters in R1.

"Michael, Michael baby...ya know I love ya, I really do. But this film score bus'ness...I have an image to protect, my skin is in the game, ya know that, don't you? Of course you do, you're a smart boy. So this Solo job...I gotta hand it to someone who I know can handle it, someone who can honor tha legacy.

Nothin' personal, Michael baby...just bus'ness, know what I'm sayin'? Now come over here, let's have some cannoli."

I have no reason to doubt EJ, and what he says correlates closely with similar information from other people who are in a position to know more than you or me.