THE COWBOYS (1972) - NEW! 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's totally unrealistic!

Listen to what they say and how when he starts playing:

He's playing it off an old paper and doesn't say it's by THE Vivaldi, it's just by some guy called Vivaldi (mispronounced).

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

He's playing it off an old paper and doesn't say it's by THE Vivaldi, it's just by some guy called Vivaldi (mispronounced).

Yeah, but you don't expect a schoolboy to have deep knowledge about any of the baroque composers. He could just as well have mispronounced Pachelbel.

49 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Could someone tell me whether the Vivaldi concerto that's included on the expanded soundtrack is used as source music in the film, or is it used as regular underscoring?

Didn't you read the liner notes in the booklet?

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, but you don't expect a schoolboy to have deep knowledge about any of the baroque composers. He could just as well have mispronounced Pachelbel.

Who says he did? Who says any of them did? It could have been a random parchment nobody cared about from his great-great-grandfather that he got off the attic when he started playing the guitar.

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

Who says he did? Who says any of them did? It could have been a parchment from his great-great-grandfather that he got off the attic when he started playing the guitar.

I think we're talking past each other here. My point is just that it's very unlikely he had a parchment of a Vivaldi concerto laying around. :)

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Slacker!

The shipping charge to Norway is so substantial that I prefer to collect several releases in one order. But I'm not sure I'm getting this, as the complete listening experience isn't that good, while the concert overture really contains all I want. And I have a policy of not buying CDs I don't think I'll listen to. The sound quality is great, though.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody knows when the concert overture based on The Cowboys was premiered?

Well it was recorded with the BPO on a Phillips album in 1982. JW surely played it on concert or on TV following that record, I don’t know.

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well it was recorded with the BPO on a Phillips album in 1982. JW surely played it on concert or on TV following that record, I don’t know.

Are we sure he didn't play it in concert before the recording was released?

Just now, Bespin said:

False Mike, it was released in a 82 album, then on the 87 by request compilation.

Another one that don’t consult my discography...

Who’s Mike?

The liner notes do NOT claim it was first released on By Request, simply that it is available there.  Since most of the other Philips CDs are long OOP  but that one's still in print, it makes sense to me to mention that one. 

Of course it was first released on the '82 Pops album Pops Around The World

41QyWC5L7SL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000E2KO

Geez... I have read ridiculous things here, but this is the best one.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

He didn't need to be saved from anything, the notes are accurate and Bespin interpreted them wrong.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

You really need to buy this release man

I would practically never listen to it because of the annoying Long Hair motif which is everywhere, like sand after a visit to the beach. And I don't buy CDs I'm not going to listen to, and I'm certainly not buying it for the inaccurate liner notes. 

The concert overture contains all I really need.

I prefer my other cds. I really like the sound but the score is best listened to in large portions. Not small bits. Its now on my cd shelf unlikely to come off it anytime soon.

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

the score is best listened to in large portions. Not small bits.

I don't understand what this means?

The old Varese CD was 30 minutes, and the main program of this is 60 minutes.

I think the main program of this CD is a solid hour of listening experience.  It tells a complete story with lots of variety and theme interplay along the way.

I don't really listen to the bonus tracks.

Just now, Jay said:

I don't understand what this means?

The old Varese CD was 30 minutes, and the main program of this is 60 minutes.

I like the concert pieces best heard on JW compilations as opposed to the short tracks

Wow, that's a surprising opinion.  I think the entire End Title and End Cast track is really nice, though come to think of it I do prefer the alternate one than the one in the main program

16 hours ago, Jay said:

He didn't need to be saved from anything, the notes are accurate and Bespin interpreted them wrong.

Bespin needs to create a list of his mistakes/corrections/inaccuracies/confusions in his lists.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, that's a surprising opinion.  I think the entire End Title and End Cast track is really nice, though come to think of it I do prefer the alternate one than the one in the main program

I didn't say anything about the End Title, which is indeed good. I was referring exclusively to the End Cast, which is basically a long, repetitive fadeout.

Yea, I getcha.  I don't mind the program ending that way.  It's nice.  Like all their problems are solved, and they can go off quietly into the night.

I just got a chance to listen to this yesterday, and enjoyed it a lot. It's fun to hear John Williams in a different mode, with some unusual sounds that didn't reappear much in his later, more familiar scores. There was some nice use of percussion, especially in The Execution, and one track even featured guitar used in a propulsive, almost percussive way (forget which one). An early score like this sounds almost experimental, when you're used to the more symphonic sound he ultimately settled on. Morricone's influence, perhaps. And it's a great showcase for one of my favorite aspects of Williams' writing, his ability to write themes that work in a particular mode (heroic, for example), then transform them throughout a score to evoke a completely different tone, as needed.

Has anyone broken down what's in the bonus tracks? I'm trying to figure out which ones to keep. From the liner notes, it sounded like some were just alternate takes, rather than alternate compositions. From what I can tell so far, End Title and End Cast (track 35) looks like it's the only really significant alternate composition.

A fun way to listen to the new Expanded Set, is to reproduce the Varèse old CD... but using the new CD tracks.  It can't be exactly 100 % the same, but it's pleasant to listen to this playlist.

This way, some less important or shorter cues are omitted, so it's more "condensed".

Another thing, I'm still not convinced that the track "Overture" is a big win as the first track of a CD... I'm not used to it. It may be C&C... but...but...but... on an album...

Try this playlist @JoeinAR, a very good 31 min. program.

01 Main Title and The Cowboys

02 Anybody That Tall

03 Training Montage

04 Long Hair and The Roundup

05 The Hands Quit

06 The Kids and Crazy Alice

07 Wil and Ann

08 Overture

09 Nightlinger's Tale

10 Long Hair's Threat

11 The Battle

12 The First Night

13 Charlie's Burial

14 Into the Trap

15 To Belle Fourche

16 End Title and End Cast (alternate)

I have been listening to the old Varèse CD, and it just makes me want to listen to the concert overture. The middle section of the concert overture has really grown on me. A magnificent evocation of the American Great Plains. Nothing on the soundtrack sounds so grand. I presume the improved sound on the new CD makes a difference, but, it’s pretty low down on my list, currently.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

A fun way to listen to the new Expanded Set, is to reproduce the Varèse old CD... but using the CD tracks.  It can't be exactly 100 % the same,

...because you'd have to include the so-called "alternate" main title. 😛