Mike Matessino on the prospects of releasing some currently unreleased Williams scores

Jay

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wasn't the OST a rerecording, or am I imagining it?

Btw, you gotta check out Bes' LP rip. The sound is so much clearer than on the Varese CD, with a much needed boost to the treble.

No thanks! :)

To my recollection, the OST was original recordings. But Jay knows this stuff far better than I do. Either way, it's great. And I want to reiterate that just to piss Bespin off! :D

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

No thanks! :)

To my recollection, the OST was original recordings. But Jay knows this stuff far better than I do. Either way, it's great. And I want to reiterate that just to piss Bespin off! :D

Well, regardless yours and Bes' special relationship, the LP sounds really good. I was not expecting much but was blown away by the enormous improvement!

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Bespin, did you do anything with the frequency spectrum on your LP rip, or is it just as it was in the raw files?

I know I could have played a bit with the EQ on this...  but decided to leave it as it was. The guy from who I got the rip seemed to have a top notch turntable.

I only wanted to prove that the sound of the Varese CD was crap. Done.

Now a professional will work on the case and manage to release a proper CD version... I hope.

I will never send my LP restoration to Thor even if he asks me.

Anyway, I’m sure he even don’t have the Varese Cd, but just a CD-R copy of it!

The OST LP was never a rerecording, and I have no idea how or when that rumor got started. 

Parts sound different because some alternates are on the OST instead of film versions, or they mixed in different instruments in the album version but not the film version or vice versa, etc.

But the sheet music leaked years ago now and made everything clear. Everything on the OST lines up with a film cue.

One if the strangest cases of LP sequencing is that the track called "Night Journeys" is the original version of the love scene, and then the very next track in the LP, "Love Scene", is (a portion of) the revised version of the love scene :lol:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16kLTORYvi9-HH76JA_WkHBVC2XzoYfMKkml8Rj0e_MI/edit?usp=drivesdk

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

The OST LP was never a rerecording, and I have no idea how or when that rumor got started. 

The liner notes of the Varese DE of Damien: Omen II mention Dracula as an example of an OST that was a different recording than the film tracks.

49 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I will never send my LP restoration to Thor even if he asks me.

Anyway, I’m sure he even don’t have the Varese Cd, but just a CD-R copy of it!

I have every single JW OST in original format. I’ve been doing this for longer than you’ve even heard about John Williams.

I have no interest in anything you do, including the  socalled discography.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The liner notes of the Varese DE of Damien: Omen II mention Dracula as an example of an OST that was a different recording than the film tracks.

Wow, that's interesting! Whoever wrote that made a huge assumption just because some things sound different than the film. Weird!

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Aren't you missing Goodbye, Mr. Chips?

Miguel let me restore his Promo LP of Mr Chips. Great alt tracks,  not on the 3-CD...

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Interesting. I've read that here numerous times, and I don't recall anyone ever disputing it, so I've always taken it for a fact.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Not all tracks on the OST are alternates.

THE MEETING IN THE CAVE, THE BAT ATTACK, DRACULA'S DEATH,  END TITLES are all film versions.

NB DRACULA'S DEATH is edited for the OST, for those who've never seen the film.

A bunch of tracks are edited. I notated which bars are cut from the OST in the spreadsheet above

A re-recording would be easy to spot, as the sound of the film's music tracks would sound markedly different, but the LSO is prominently featured even in the film's music credits, so no, calling it a different re-recording would be misleading. Though probably we have different cuts of what Williams recorded - down to in-track-editing, i. e. the cut early in 'Dracula's Death', for the LP, that has additional seconds at the end which are not in the film. All fairly minor occurrences, really.

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Does the rumour predate the Varese DE of Damien? I had never heard it before that.

Yes, for a number of years it was implied that it was an album re-recording like Jaws or The Fury OSTs, but those were days when there was a lot less information and knowledge about these things. For the Dracula OST, Williams edited the film cues to give the album a symphonic suite-like form.

The Dracula OST isn't really that hard to figure out once you have the sheet music

01 Main Title & Storm Sequence (5:08)

• [0:00-1:12] = 1M1 Main Title Fix, with some additional low end that isn't heard in the film
  • [1:12-end] = 1M2 The Storm (without bars 44-46)

02 The Night Visitor (2:12)

• 10M3 Lucy Attacks

03 To Scarborough (2:42)

• 11M3 To Scarborough

04 The Abduction Of Lucy (3:34)

• [0:00-0:22] = 4M2 "Give Me Your Loyalty", but only bars 6-11
  • [0:22-1:22] = 2M2 A Quick Change, but only bars 1-22
  • [1:22-end] =  11M2 The Capture of Lucy, but only bars 32-end

05 Night Journeys (5:12)

• 7M3 The Love Scene, including choir not heard in the film

06 The Love Scene (2:04)

• 7M3 Love Scene Revised, but only bars 42-end

07 Meeting In The Cave (3:29)

• 1M4/2M1 To The Cave

08 The Bat Attack (2:46)

• [0:00-1:30] = 8M1 Mina Impaled
  • [1:30-end] = 10M2 The Bat Attack

09 For Mina (2:15)

• [0:00-1:20] = 5M4 Mina's Funeral
  • [1:20-end] = 4M3 Mina's Death

10 Dracula's Death (2:57)

• 12M1 The Death of Dracula, but bars 1-17 then 42-end only

11 End Titles (3:58)

• 12M2 End Titles

So, therefore, the chronological order of the OST is

1. 01 Main Title and The Storm Sequence (5:08)
  2. 07 Meeting In The Cave (3:29)
  3. 04B [0:22-1:22] (1:00) "A Quick Change"
  4. 04A [0:00-0:22] (0:22) "Give Me Your Loyalty"
  5. 09B [1:20-end] (0:55) "Mina's Death"
  6. 09A [0:00-1:20] (1:20) "Mina's Funeral"
  7. 05 Night Journeys (5:12)
  8. 06 The Love Scene (2:04)
  9. 08 The Bat Attack (2:46)
  10. 02 The Night Visitor (2:12)
  11. 04C [1:22-end] (2:12) "The Capture of Lucy"
  12. 03 To Scarborough (2:42)
  13. 10 Dracula's Death (2:57)
  14. 11 End Titles (3:58)

Or, if you don't want to bust out a WAV editor, you can get close to chronological with this

1. 01 Main Title & Storm Sequence (5:08)
  2. 07 Meeting In The Cave (3:29)
  3. 09 For Mina (2:15)
  4. 05 Night Journeys (5:12)
  5. 06 The Love Scene (2:04)
  6. 08 The Bat Attack (2:46)
  7. 02 The Night Visitor (2:12)
  8. 04 The Abduction Of Lucy (3:34)
  9. 03 To Scarborough (2:42)
  10. 10 Dracula's Death (2:57)
  11. 11 End Titles (3:58)

While driving a taxi about 20 years ago one Sunday night, I tuned the radio into Australia's Classical FM station. "The Bat Attack" was playing, and since I had no context to place the piece, I spent a frustrating few minutes trying to recall what the music was. It was my discovery of a Sunday night film score show.