Sign in to follow this  
antovolk

Justin Hurwitz's FIRST MAN (2018)

So looking forward to hearing Hurwitz’s score.  There’s only like three of us here who loved La La Land, but I’m one of them!  This will be the first traditional film score from someone who’s already won the Oscar, so I’m also just curious.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So looking forward to hearing Hurwitz’s score.  There’s only like three of us here who loved La La Land, but I’m one of them!  This will be the first traditional film score from someone who’s already won the Oscar, so I’m also just curious.

If you want to call theremin traditional :P I'm betting this is like Interstellar where Zimmer went out there with the organ, between that and the whole IMAX aspect of it Chazelle really owes a debt to Nolan with this film

if those comments are to go by the score is the one thing people at the test screenings didn't like as much because it was so out there. If true, it's kinda the perfect way for Chazelle/Hurwitz to incorporate jazz into this lol

I just meant traditional in terms of not being a musical or incorporating some onscreen musical element like in Whiplash.  The comments make it sound very interesting!

Finally a thread!

This is one of my most aniticipated score of 2018 ( well, after Solo and this, is there anything left, honestly?) (EDIT: welp, my bad, there still two JNHs on the horizon.)

His la la land tunes are splendid, and his Oscar win is one of the more deserving ones.

Really cant wait to hear this out-of-his-comfort-zone score.

Let us now revisit Planetarium now that this thread is opened:

The "Someone in the Crowd" reprise is my favorite in the epilogue, that still sticks out to me as a perfect joyous moment in film music recently.

I was a big fan of Hurwitz's Whiplash overture and thought he could probably come up with some catchy light jazzy tunes but the extent of its unbridled orchestral enthusiasm was a pleasant surprise.

This transition in "Audition" was another moment that hit me in the ol feels.

12 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

The "Someone in the Crowd" reprise is my favorite in the epilogue, that still sticks out to me as a perfect joyous moment in film music 

^^

True af!

I remembered when the tune was first played in the first trailer, againts those quotes, "musical masterpiece", goosebump. 

The someone in the crowd counter tune is also one of my most favourite tune of the score. It is  simple, yet glorious!