antovolk

Justin Hurwitz's FIRST MAN (2018)

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

There is such hypocrisy in film criticism when it comes to discussing film scores. Hypocrisy and a narrow-minded myopic ignorance. 

You mean like people forever living in the early 80's or getting all nasty when someone doesn't find Jurassic Park the best thing since sliced bread?

3 hours ago, publicist said:

You mean like people forever living in the early 80's or getting all nasty when someone doesn't find Jurassic Park the best thing since sliced bread?

No. I wouldn't know because I didn't read contemporary reviews of Jurrasic Park the movie.

I mean film critics today that scoff at Melody in a film score when it comes from the usual sources but would applaud it and call it bold if it came from say Johnny Greenwood.

I sense prejudice when they essentially change their estimation of a score based on who wrote it. 

But - unfortunately - neither John Williams nor James Newton Howard et al. have written a film score in recent times that merits that kind of praise. Because if Johnny Greenwood wrote stuff like i. e. War Horse or Fantastic Beasts he would be quite rightly labeled as very able talented craftsman just repeating old patterns once again.