Favorite King Kong score?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. The best Kong-certo?

• Max Steiner
    • John Barry
    • John Scott
    • James Newton Howard
    • Henry Jackman

Hell of a way to kickstart the history of feature-length Hollywood sound film scoring.

The Steiner is the best and probably even his finest score. The brief A Boat in the Fog cue is not only the best King Kong track of all time, but also some of the finest film music of all time. Nothing from the other King Kong scores reaches such all-time greatness.

3 minutes ago, Lewya said:

The Steiner is the best and probably even his finest score. The brief A Boat in the Fog cue is not only the best King Kong track of all time, but also some of the finest film music of all time.

I dunno, the guy did a lot of scores. Some I enjoy more than King Kong.

A non-believer!

I just noticed the poll title. Sev, you'd be wise to look behind your back from now on.

Also, I object for not having King Kong vs. Godzilla on the list! I wouldn't have voted for it, but gotta have proper representation! I let you off for not having KIng Kong Appears in Edo, since it's been lost for many decades.

JNH for sure. Of course I appreciate the importance of Steiner's original. And I love Barry's, especially his trademark sweeping themes and great use of Church Organ and assortment of exotic percussion.

Since the poll is titled "best", I voted Steiner, but my favorite is JNH - even though there are several stretches on the CD where my attention regularly slips, the rest makes up for it.

(Don't know the others)

I voted for Steiner, but I also really like Newton Howard's work.

Considering the time he had to write it, that's its any good at all is mindblowing.

To be honest, most of these are really great.

Even Jackman's.

OK his score isn't good but it has a pretty cool Kong theme.

Karol

7 hours ago, Holko said:

A non-believer!

I just noticed the poll title. Sev, you'd be wise to look behind your back from now on.

Also, I object for not having King Kong vs. Godzilla on the list! I wouldn't have voted for it, but gotta have proper representation! I let you off for not having KIng Kong Appears in Edo, since it's been lost for many decades.

I would have included King Kong Escapes, but that'd require being able to spell the composer's name!

It's hard to beat the Steiner due to its position in film music history, but if someone put a gun to my head, I think I'd go for the JNH in terms of sheer listening pleasure.

I still enjoy JNH's take, but the album gets a tad repetitive in that a lot of the action music is just variations on "Tooth and Claw", especially when the redundant cues could have been removed in favor of including the bug sequence.  

I'm disappointed I'm the only one who voted for John Scott. :( 

It's the best elements of all the good Kong scores embodied into a sweet 47 minutes! The movie it's contributing to is a riot as well. 

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

It's the best elements of all the good Kong scores embodied into a sweet 47 minutes! The movie it's contributing to is a riot as well. 

It is the best album out of all of them, that's true. Does it automatically make it the best music?

Karol

It doesn't, but I'm no good at talking about why I like music, man! I just dig it. Though rest assured, I merely mean it's my favorite Kong score to listen to. In film and in general, fudge yeah, Steiner!

And it's the only Kong album to feature Kong himself (unless you have the Intrada release which removes Kong's appearance, which I don't). 

Just now, Margo Channing said:

Huh?

On the bootleg releases of the score, two tracks open with the sound of Kong roaring before the music begins.

IT'S AWESOME!

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I’m sorry, I had to go with JB but I agree it really is a gorgeous theme and score! If anybody hasn’t listened to King Kong Lives I highly recommend it.