UNIVERSAL CLASSICS collection from Universal Pictures & Mike Matessino

Jay

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/universal-music-restoration-program-1202855031/

~

Here are the titles that have been released in this series:

Heritage.jpg

1. June 2018: Colossus: The Forbin Project by Michel Colombier (La-La Land)
  2. Aug 2018: The Prisoner of Zenda by Henry Mancini (La-La Land)
  3. Nov 2018: Airport '77 by John Cacavas / The Concorde: Airport '79 by Lalo Schifrin (La-La Land)
  4. May 2019: The Sentinel by Gil Melle (La-La Land)
  5. June 2019: Fletch Lives by Harold Faltermeyer (La-La Land)
  6. Sep 2019: Child's Play 2 by Graeme Revell (La-La Land)
  7. Sep 2019: Rooster Cogburn by Laurence Rosenthal (Varese Sarabande)
  8. Oct 2019: Bride of Frankenstein by Franz Waxman (La-La Land)
  9. April 2020: Mystery Men by Stephen Warbeck & Shirley Walker (La-La Land)
  10. July 2020: Two Mules for Sister Sara by Ennio Morricone (La-La Land)

Classics.jpg

1. Sep 2020: Munster, Go Home! by Jack Marshall (La-La Land)
  2. Dec 2020: Tremors by Ernest Troost & Robert Folk (La-La Land)
  3. Feb 2021: Banning by Quincy Jones (La-La Land)
  4. Dec 2021: Love Actually by Craig Armstrong (La-La Land)
  5. Jan 2022: Videodrome by Howard Shore (La-La Land)
  6. Apr 2022: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid by Miklos Rózsa (Intrada)
  7. Jun 2022: Scarface by Giorgio Moroder (La-La Land)
  8. Dec 2022: Frenzy by Ron Goodwin & Henry Mancini (Quartet)
  9. Jun 2023: The Munsters (w/ The Deputy, Wagon Train, and The Virginian) by Jack Marshall (La-La Land)
  10. Nov 2023: Moment to Moment by Henry Mancini (La-La Land)
  11. Nov 2023: Topaz by Maurice Jarre (La-La Land)

And every other score licensed from Universal Pictures that was produced by Mike Matessino since this line premiered:

1. Oct 2018: Dracula by John Williams (Varese Sarabande)
  2. Jan 2019: Apollo 13 by James Horner (Intrada)
  3. Feb 2019: An American Tail by James Horner (Intrada)
  4. Aug 2019: Ghost Story by Philippe Sarde (Quartet)
  5. Dec 2019: Earthquake by John Williams (La-La Land)
  6. Jan 2020: Darkman by Danny Elfman (La-La Land)
  7. Mar 2020: Far & Away by John Williams (La-La Land)
  8. Mar 2020: The Big Fix by Bill Conti (Varese Sarabande)
  9. May 2020: The River by John Williams (Intrada)
  10. July 2020: The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by John Addison  (Quartet)
  11. Aug 2020: Casper by James Horner (La-La Land)
  12. Sep 2020: Swashbuckler by John Addison (Quartet Records)

13. Jan 2021: Babe by Nigel Westlake (Varese Sarabande)

14. Mar 2021: Serpent and the Rainbow by Brad Feidel (Varese Sarabande)

15. Jun 2021: Always by John Williams (La La Land)

16. Jul 2021: Somewhere In Time by John Barry (La-La Land)

17. Aug 2021: The Eiger Sanction by John Williams (Intrada)

18. Jan 2022: Field of Dreams by James Horner (La La Land)

19. Jul 2022: Jurassic Park by John Williams (La-La Land)

20. Aug 2022: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial by John Williams [re-issue] (La-La Land)

21. Oct 2022: Death Becomes Her by Alan Silvestri (Varese)

22. Nov 2022: How The Grinch Stole Christmas by James Horner (La-La Land)

23. Nov 2022: The Burbs by Jerry Goldsmith (La La Land)

24. Mar 2023: Bride of Chucky by Graeme Revell (Enjoy The Ride)

25. Dec 2022: Mary, Queen of Scots by John Barry (Quartet)

26. Aug 2023: The Lost World by John Williams (La-La Land)

27. Nov 2023: Sneakers by James Horner (La-La Land)

28. Dec 2023: Dad by James Horner (Quartet)

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Ford Thaxton really got my hopes up there for a second..

Yeah.  Then I remembered FSM old guard get super excited about the weirdest obscure shit.

I'm gonna go take a walk.  It's a beautiful afternoon.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah.  Then I remembered FSM old guard get super excited about the weirdest obscure shit.

I'm gonna go take a walk.  It's a beautiful afternoon.

I'd love to do the same, but Texas summer heat SUCKS. 

It's an interesting streak of titles. Not as numbing as the DC Universe animation stuff. I'm definitely intrigued by some of those.

Karol

This is just a sampling of what is in store. Golden age, silver age, modern and yes, eventually tv!!!

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=129366&forumID=1&archive=0

Certainly there’s the potential for REALLY cool releases down the line and of course more archival releases of scores are always a good thing.  There’s nothing about this news that is bad, it’s just that weeks of hyping it were a bit much.  These are all in the “That’s cool, I’m sure these are holy grails for some FSM types” category.

The Morricone could be cool.

Wow, I’m thrilled that I’m finally gonna get Airport ‘77!  Finally. It’s one of those obscure scores that got me hooked on film music. 

And of course I’m sure Elmer Bernstein’s score for Thoroughly Modern Millie is on the list since it’s never had an official release. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So what are people’s most wanted Universal scores?

Oh god where do I start? There is soooo much stuff but it's just been coming out in a trickle for years I'm glad to hear about the increased rate of Universal releases. I guess I'll start with one of my favorite film composers: Miklos Rozsa. He did a number of Universal scores in the 40s before signing up with MGM (and even one he was loaned out for in the late 50s: A Time To Love and a Time to Die)...since the MGM and Paramount vaults have been totally mined for Rozsa scores, this would the be significant remaining source of unreleased Rozsa, assuming tapes survive...

I hope this series will also include expansions like The Mummy or the original Airport by Alfred Newman...it seems like they're starting with things that wouldn't have to involve a third party to license the original album (aside from perhaps Two Mules for Sister Sara).

Yavar

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My picks outside of the Williamses would definitely be Herrmann’s Hitchcock collabs from Universal.  Any Herrmann really would get me excited.  Although outside of the Hitches I don’t think he worked with them much.

I’d also happily welcome some E. Bernsteins.  Anyone know of any cool Universal titles he worked on that haven’t gotten expanded/released.  The grail there is obviously Mockingbird, which would send me over the moon if it was released.

Herrmann worked at Universal for at least two famous non-Hitchcock films: Fahrenheit 451 and the original Cape Fear. Both have received unlicensed releases but having Mattesino produce official LLL ones for either of those (or any/all of the surviving Hitchcock Universal scores) would indeed be amazing!

I join you in wanting Bernstein scores, especially the premiere of the TKaM film recording...but Roger at Intrada already tried to release that and said there were additional right complications which would probably still be an issue here.

Personally I'm hoping this greater speed of releasing Universal scores means we might get an obscure Goldsmith score...The Don Is Dead. And if the UMG-controlled albums aren't too much of a stumbling block, definitive complete editions of MacArthur and The Lonely Guy.

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

giphy.gif

"And for what? For a little soundtrack expansion? There's more to life than soundtracks, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it."

Already released.  The line is for scores that never had a release.

"Universal has embarked on a long-range plan to preserve and restore its unreleased movie music"

Otherwise my list of requests would have been MUCH bigger

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Already released.  The line is for scores that never had a release.

"Universal has embarked on a long-range plan to preserve and restore its unreleased movie music"

Otherwise my list of requests would have been MUCH bigger

Thanks for that, for some reason that detail just wouldn't stick in my brain even after reading the article twice, haha.

Anything that had a release already, the mechanical rights belong to the record label that released it, and expanding it is a joint venture a third party initiates between the music rights holder and Universal Pictures

The line will be scores that never had a release so Universal Pictures is releasing them directly themselves, without those difficulties, using LLL as a partner.

I'd imagine they'll all be sold/streamed digitally directly by Universal after they each go through a physical release window

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'd imagine they'll all be sold/streamed digitally directly by Universal after they each go through a physical release window

I hope so!  It’d be nice to be able to sample the ones I’m unfamiliar with without the guilt of obtaining them through less than legal means.

I just realized that by announcing the first 7 titles out of the gate, and simultaneously stating that we'll be getting one every 2 months, then it could literally be a year from now until we find out what any other titles are.

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'd love to do the same, but Texas summer heat SUCKS. 

cps1u1jjsk511.jpg

5 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I hope this helps La-La Land get some Williams grails out.

Like Always.

To answer a few questions:

1. Exclusive to LLL? Possibly, but you never know.

2. Both original and expanded releases planned.

3. TV - yes at some point, with Night Stalker, Munsters, 6 Million Dollar Man at the top of the list.

4. Hope to have the first 3 out by years end, then starting in Jan 2019 every other month. 

MV

Scarface is definitely on our agenda. It may be part of this series...or just a regular Universal releases. Mr. Moroder is on board as is UME. Just don't expect it this year. Our last two quarters are packed with huge projects. 

MV

10 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Apollo 13 is unnecessary because the complete score has been out there for years in perfect quality. One of the best bootlegs ever.

Is the Promo being referred to as complete? There is more music including alternates and unused cues from the actual sessions which we can hope to see some day!

11 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Apollo 13 is unnecessary because the complete score has been out there for years in perfect quality. One of the best bootlegs ever.

A bootleg does never make an official expansion obsolete, no matter how perfect it is!

On 6/22/2018 at 9:25 PM, Jay said:

The line will be scores that never had a release so Universal Pictures is releasing them directly themselves, without those difficulties, using LLL as a partner.

Ahem...

On 6/23/2018 at 3:49 AM, Jay said:

2. Both original and expanded releases planned.

1 hour ago, Amer said:

Is the Promo being referred to as complete? There is more music including alternates and unused cues from the actual sessions which we can hope to see some day!

My boot had lots of alternates, i. e. Master Alarm. Though the 39-minute selection (sans dialogue) of the old MCA was a pretty much perfect selection.

Richard, did you just ahem me for a correction I had already posted myself?  Why?

And yes the pressed Apollo 13 promo from the 90s was not complete, when the recording sessions leaked a few years back we learned about some alternates and some unused cues that we never knew about before then, on top of the extra music we heard in the film that wasn't on the 90s promo.