John Williams' Magnum Opus

tmarps

What would you consider to be Johnny's Magnum Opus - the greatest film score he has ever written? We're talking complete film scores here - the most exhilarating ride emotionally from start to finish? What does it for you?

Mine would have to be Empire. Pure genius - the never-ending musical madness action cue that is the Battle of Hoth to the singing strings of Han Solo and the Princess, the rich vibrato of Yoda's theme to the intensely dramatic The Clash of Lightsabres. The greatest musical story John Williams has produced.

In your eyes, what do you think is John Williams' Magnum Opus?

If it's the one I have the most fun with and have carried with me for years, it's STAR WARS ('77).

If it's the one I admire for its technical prowess and also have a strong emotional reaction to it, it's Close Encounters. (See my earlier ramblings on it! ;) ) It's also probably closer to what most people would thing of when throwing around phrases like Magnum Opus.

'77 was a good year.

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

it's Close Encounters. 

I've never even begun to listen to the score. I've listened to a suite once and admired that. Should I listen to the score? Please don't everyone swear at me at once. I have never seen the film though 😕 - score first or film?

Difficult to say, as I feel he has several magnum opuses (opi?) in different arenas. But yes, when taking all the STAR WARSes combined into consideration, it's hard to beat that.

For me it's Star Wars, the 1977 movie. So many themes, so many different ambiances.

But it's because I was born in 1974.

Ask someone a little bit older than me, they will maybe answer Close Encounters or Jaws.... ask people a little bit younger, they will answer E.T. ;-)

Star Wars original Trilogy, Close Encounters, Jaws, E.T.... that's pretty much that!

The 1975-1983 period, that's definitely a peak in JW's career.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

The 1975-1983 period, that's definitely a peak in JW's career. 

2001-2005!

Oh, and Close Encounters is pretty slick.

2 hours ago, tmarps said:

Should I listen to the score? Please don't everyone swear at me at once.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Watch the film, then check out the score

I'll swear to you, but not at you. Check out Close Encounters pronto, it's one of the best damn scores ever written, one of the top of the top on Williams' bitchin' list. I don't necessarily agree with watching the film beforehand: the music is so powerful, the film can barely hold it! (Like in the barnstorming sequence close to the end). I do recommend checking out the original album first, it's such a great representation of the score.

Jeez, the Maestro's magnum opus? Honestly, that is kinda like asking how many stars there are across the universe? I could not begin to ponder that. For me, that is a tough one; I mean, that is REALLY tough.

If an answer must be given, I would have to say the Star Wars Saga. Then again, I really don't have a definite answer as what I personally believe to be Maestro John Williams' magnum opus.

I think the Star Wars series as a whole is his magnum opus, and I think he himself acknowledges it.

Its not a Shore/Wagner sized catalog, but its still upward of fifty recurring themes. Very impressive!

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

75-84!  Temple of Doom is an action masterpiece!

Well that... decade, yes!

I was born in 1974, so for me the period from 1975-1984 is everything to me since it's what I was raised on!  Pretty much all my earliest movie memories included a JW score, be it Jaws, SW, ET, IJ, etc...   Too many great choices to pick, but since I can only pick one it has to be SW ANH.  It's not the strongest SW score but it's the one that started it all and ultimately stirred my interest in movie music.  The first soundtrack purchase I ever made was the 4-disc SW Anthology set back in 1993, my freshman year of college.  Still have fond memories of putting the discs in my CD walkman and "studying" for exams down in the cafeteria of the dorm.  🤣 

My favorite is Jane Eyre, but I feel weird calling that his magnum opus. So hard to narrow it down to one...maybe Raiders?

Strangely (since he's my favorite composer and so much more prolific) but I personally have an easier time identifying Jerry Goldsmith's magnum opus: QB VII.

Yavar

A. I. contains something which makes it stand out from the rest of Johnny's scores...so I would say that.

My more "traditional" nomination would be Jurassic Park. It's a very mixed score stylistically.

My favourite score of his is Temple of Doom, though.

11 minutes ago, Loert said:

A. I. contains something which makes it stand out from the rest of Johnny's scores...so I would say that.

My more "traditional" nomination would be Jurassic Park. It's a very mixed score stylistically.

My favourite score of his is Temple of Doom, though.

Favorite Drama?

In terms of individual scores, I would say ET and CE3K. Of the two, I think ET nudges out CE3K just because of how wonderful the thematic development is and how the whole score builds and builds to the amazing emotional pay-off the the ending. CE3K is a hell of a ride from beginning to end and kind of fits more of the grand, challenging, rewarding listening experience one might expect from a magnum opus. In terms of a series of scores, Star Wars is the clear winner.

Empire Strikes Back for sure.  It takes everything that made Star Wars great to the next level and is the score to which all else is compared.   It is why the film is so great.  The score is perfect and the pinnacle of JW's cinematic achievement.

13 minutes ago, TGP said:

Better than Thomas and the King?

I actually listened to that for the first time a week ago...one of the signs of a great artist is knowing when you screw up, and judging by its non existence after its premiere and album, we see that John Williams is truly one of the greats.

Too many magna opera. Too many notes to choose from!

If my hand was forced it would probably be either ESB or Jurassic Park or A.I. or Angela's Ashes or Close Encounters.

If Star Wars didn't exist, or we were asked to name a title aside from it, then I'd probably suggest Jane Eyre  (1970). If that had been a theatrical film eligible for Oscar nomination, I'd confidently have bet on it winning a Best Original Score. Next to that, the first Harry Potter - only because Hedwig's Theme epitomises what I love about JW's neo-romantic style.

10 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

I was born 1986, so the 1990–1993 period defined my childhood and to me that's my favorite peak period of his career. (Home Alone, Hook, JP)

Well, it's worth pointing out that assessing someone's magnum opus is quite different from listing one's favourite score. JURASSIC PARK is my favourite JW (and score in general), but I wouldn't necessarily call it his magnum opus. This term denotes a more 'objective' standard whereby both the music and whatever it accompanies (if it accompanies something) is of a certain agreed-upon quality -- with complexity, emotional depth etc. -- that is also representative of the composer's 'voice'. A historical and biographical cornerstone that will be a reference point for time to come.

Empire Strikes Back, I think he went all-out on that score, not a note wasted nor a scene not made better by the music that accompanies it.

What's my problem with Empire is which version of the score one is thinking about.

The complete final intended? That has a lot of terribly unfitting segments rightfully dialed out of the picture, like the joyous Yoda's Theme when Vader is menacingly taunting Luke in the middle of the intense duel (what was the intent there?), the slightly comedic The Imperial Probe for the rebellion's dire situation, or the playful well-synced flourishes completely undermining Luke's frustration at his standstill situation and Yoda's speech about peace of mind and the dark side.

The theatrical? That has a number of terrible concert tracking over well-written and fitting variations of the Imperial March.

The bluray? It completely ruins the wondrous climax that is Hyperspace.

The SE and the DVD? I guess those are fine. All movie versions however, cut out a lot of very good and fitting music along with the few unfitting segments.

The score is great, but the absolute best versions of it are probably the now-obscure middle cuts.

STAR WARS is phenomenal in every cut and release, it's pitch-perfectly spotted, instructed and scored.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence and Close Encounters of the Third Kind I would say are his two greatest scores. It is quite hard to pick between them. Right now I would probably say Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but it depends on the mood I am in which one I prefer I think.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

STAR WARS is phenomenal in every cut and release, it's pitch-perfectly spotted, instructed and scored.

Another advantage of Star Wars is that it does not overplay any of its themes the way Empire Strikes Back does the Imperial March. I believe it appears over 35 times in a two-hour composition. That’s nuts.

1 hour ago, Lewya said:

All of the combined Star Wars scores taken as one entry beat that though, but that might be cheating.

Taken as one entry? Yeah, they’re not homogenous enough for that.

But taken as a single body of work? Certainly.