What are your favourite edits/transitions in movies?

Holko

Single shots are very nice, they can be expressive, artistic, technically impressive. But the art of filmmaking was born when it was discovered that two different shots put together creates new meaning which they did not have before.

This could result in heightened tension:

(all those incredibly quick cuts from the Battle of Yavin could qualify)

Its earlier counterpart:

Or be cheekily humorous:

Give me some great examples!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Or be cheekily humorous:

Hoooly crap.

To answer the question, Spielberg's transitions are legendary. Tintin is full of them, but this gave me goosebumps in the theaters, and still does.

I'm trying to find clips of some of the ones in Munich, like when the blood splatter in one of the flashbacks dissolves to clouds, but I'm having a hard time.

49 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I've had Lawrence on my to-watch list for years now, gotta get around to it someday.

*hides from the pitchfork mob*

34 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Tintin is full of them

Oh yeah, I love Tintin's transitions, though it has the advantage of being fully animated, so the creativity could go through the roof.

This is a really fun one, includes middling GoT spoilers and NOT recommended to watch while or before eating: (started before the actual cut in question to give context)

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh yeah, I love Tintin's transitions, though it has the advantage of being fully animated, so the creativity could go through the roof.

This is very true. Still, I love that an old veteran just steps in after decades of no animation directing and actually takes advantage of the medium in a creative and memorable way, compared to a lot of the crap I would see my little sister watch, for example.

Have you seen Munich, @Holko?

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Have you seen Munich, @Holko?

Not yet, and still thinking about whether I'm interested in it.

4 minutes ago, John said:

2001 jump cut.gif

Unforgettable time jump from humanity's first and crudest weapon to the most advanced from we can currently imagine. Also how we go from throwing a bone up into the sky to floating in space.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Not yet, and still thinking about whether I'm interested in it.

If I may risk derailing your thread, I highly recommend it. It deals with heavy themes, of course, but it's done in such a compelling and interesting way. (You know it's good when it pisses off people on both sides of the debate!) Spielberg goes full '70s thriller here (in a way that sadly he didn't use utilize nearly enough in The Post), and features some of the best shots and sequences in his career. I could see some complaining that the movie doesn't know whether it wants to be a paranoia thriller, a historical drama, or a microcosm quasi-allegory of a much larger conflict, but I love it all.

I do have some Spielberg movies I haven't seen but may at least a tiny bit be interested in lined up, and this is in there, so I will probably get around to it someday.

7 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

You have no business watching anything until you've seen Lawrence.

I don't have as much time during these 6 weeks of work as I'd like, and Lawrence is fucking long. Is there an intermission right in the middle?

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2018 at 8:50 PM, Holko said:

I've had Lawrence on my to-watch list for years now, gotta get around to it someday.

It was the first DVD I bought, in the dark ages. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It was the first DVD I bought, in the dark ages. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Actually the DVD manufacturing process hasn’t changed much at all since your day.

43 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Anyone else think the wipes and dissolves in the prequels are the best?

I like the one in Revenge of the Sith where he uses a building in the frame to hide the wipe to an overlook of Padme’s apartment.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Spielberg was on his Tintin kick here:

Untitled_(1).gif

The texture of the cloth being worked on suggesting ploughed land, and we transition to the unlikely effort to make the barren field so.

I like that one.

Its a little "on the nose" but I like the dissolve between the statue, and Mrs. Victor.

On 6/30/2018 at 8:55 PM, Nick1066 said:

Nick, I can't access this, properly. Does this contain the dissolve between McCleod, and the Mona Lisa?

On 6/30/2018 at 7:04 PM, Nick1066 said:

:lock2:

Agreed. It's the best transition, ever. All others genuflect at the altar of its greatness.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Untitled_(1).gif

The texture of the cloth being worked on suggesting ploughed land, and we transition to the unlikely effort to make the barren field so.

I like that the entire purpose of that scene is for that transition

I remember when I saw Solo on opening weekend I had not yet listened to the score, but the transition between the gang prepping for the train heist to the train heist stood out to me, cinematically a little but very much embellished by Powell's score, as the camera cuts to this wicked shot of a crazy transport train draped with a snowy rocky background. The buildup score wise is phenomenal and the epitome of the score as the new shot opens was the stand out score moment when I watched the film. Unfortunately I cannot share a video at this point, but some of you may know of that which I speak.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Untitled_(1).gif

What’s the movie?