Jerry Goldsmith: Unpopular Opinions

Brundlefly

7 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Jerry Goldsmith's 60's/70's Golden Age is B-O-R-I-N-G!  Give me The Mummy, Mulan, or Mr. Baseball any day

:( 

Has Planet of the Apes been rerecorded? I'd love to hear a more modern sound on it, I think any corniness from stuff like all the xylophones would be rectified with better engineering.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Jerry Goldsmith's 60's/70's Golden Age is B-O-R-I-N-G!  Give me The Mummy, Mulan, or Mr. Baseball any day

The Mummy and Mulan are great! But The Sand Pebbles and The Wind and the Lion are also great!

Far greater when you look beyond your usual faux-ethnic Hollywood fix for workout purposes. Goldsmith at his best always strived for new ways to express himself and certainly transcended the fun romp that is 'The Wind and the Lion' with his sophisticated wedding of americana and oriental idioms. 'The Letter' might not be brilliant at first sight but if you watch the movie, which juxtaposes Brian Keith's Wind with Connery's Raisuli while the musical playfully weaves in and out their themes/idioms - far beyond the call of duty, especially if you compare it with his bold later scores.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Far greater when you look beyond your usual faux-ethnic Hollywood fix for workout purposes. Goldsmith at his best always strived for new ways to express himself and certainly transcended the fun romp that is 'The Wind and the Lion' with his sophisticated wedding of americana and oriental idioms. 'The Letter' might not be brilliant at first sight but if you watch the movie, which juxtaposes Brian Keith's Wind with Connery's Raisuli while the musical playfully weaves in and out their themes/idioms - far beyond the call of duty, especially if you compare it with his bold later scores.

Agreed. Thematically The Mummy is quite a mess. That there is rarely a connection between objectively reasoned admiration and pure emotional enjoyment should be common knowledge.

• 1 month later...

I prefer Tora! Tora! Tora! over Patton. I don't understand why the latter is that popular. However, the former's blend of japanese and atonal rythm-based music, its anomalous instrumentation and the occasional detuning is far more gripping in my opinion, although it's weird as shit (even weirder than Link and Logan's Run).

I consider 100 Rifles one of Goldsmith's greatest efforts. (Is that unpopular at all?)

27 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I consider 100 Rifles one of Goldsmith's greatest efforts. (Is that unpopular at all?)

Not unpopular, but probably, and hitherto, unsaid.

29 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I prefer Tora! Tora! Tora! over Patton. I don't understand why the latter is that popular. However, the former's blend of japanese and atonal rythm-based music, its anomalous instrumentation and the occasional detuning is far more gripping in my opinion, although it's weird as shit (even weirder than Link and Logan's Run).

I like both, but, like you, I'd pick TORA! TORA! TORA! over PATTON... just.

• 7 months later...

Out of the Goldsmith western scores that I already know the better half originally remained completely unreleased for decades and the scores from the "worse" half all got OSTs right away:

100 Rifles

Rio Lobo

Take a Hard Ride

Rio Conchos

- no OSTs at all!

Hour of the Gun

Bandolero!

Stagecoach

Bad Girls

- immediate OSTs for all of them!

If I were insane I would guess it's a conspiracy.

56 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Out of the Goldsmith western scores that I already know the better half originally remained completely unreleased for decades and the scores from the "worse" half all got OSTs right away:

100 Rifles

Rio Lobo

Take a Hard Ride

Rio Conchos

- no OSTs at all!

Hour of the Gun

Bandolero!

Stagecoach

Bad Girls

- immediate OSTs for all of them!

If I were insane I would guess it's a conspiracy.

I do like the top half better, but I like Hour of the Gun and Bandolero about as much as those four. I'll add Wild Rovers to your list, which received an album re-recording at the time of the film like Hour of the Gun did. A lot of people rate Wild Rovers as Jerry's best western score but I just don't get it. Too much of it is variations on an old folk song called "Goodbye Old Paint" which Jerry didn't write, and just as with The River Wild I would have far preferred the score be dominated by an original Goldsmith composition. I like Wild Rovers fine but I think I rate it lower than Stagecoach and Bad Girls, to be honest. I probably need to see the film to appreciate it more (The Ballad of Cable Hogue is great in film although maybe my least favorite Goldsmith western if one is judging just based on the album listen) but it would seem to fit your pattern. Cable Hogue doesn't, though.

Lonely Are the Brave is not only my favorite Goldsmith western score, but favorite Goldsmith feature film score. That one didn't get released until many decades after the film. I also adore The Red Pony, through and through, and Varese premiered that on CD after Lonely. One Little Indian is flat out awesome after editing out a little jokey mickey-mousing on the Lawrence of Arabia theme...no OST. Breakheart Pass I'd probably place in the lower half of Goldsmith western scores due to the underscore so maybe it doesn't fit your pattern (unless you count the bootleg LP that was produced)...but that main theme is so badass.

I also really like Jerry's first two western feature scores, Black Patch and Face of a Fugitive. Sadly we're still waiting on those to get their first release! And so I must once again share this PSA and ask everyone to listen and vote:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/813340-vote-goldsmith-for-kickstarter

Yavar

I take back what I said about Basic Instinct.

I first heard it through the Quartet release, and didn't realize until recently that I found it so boring because it was a 72-minute listen! I played the OST presentation on a whim today, and now I'm liking the score a lot more. 44 minutes was all a score like this needed. Also dig he saves my favorite cue "Roxy Loses" for the end. All the complete score did was add more padding in-between the highlights. Yawn.