John Williams's Dracula - Vinyl fan-made restoration project

Bespin

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

How can you know which one is at the right speed?

Using my electronic piano and my ears.

Maybe those days, a guy like Mike Matessino use ProTools to help him to adjust the speed of an analogue recording. A thing is sure, it's not automatic.  You have to tune a certain part or a certain sustained note of a recording.

But not long time ago, it was done using our ears and a keyboard...

And So I still do it this way.

But this morning my ears tricked me. And let say it, that's not the easiest partition to tune, with all those semi-tone variations!

Welcome to the wonderfull world of analogue recordings!

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

The Blu should be a good indication.

The music as it appears in a movie is perhaps the least good point of comparison for checking the speed of a score, especially in those years... where it could have been slow down or speed up for particular scenes.  After all, it's just "music"!

Before Pro Tools, there was only one way to adjust the speed of an analogue recording: with a keyboard and a pair of good ears.

Even using Pro Tools, it's not a 100 % scientific thing.

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

In that case, the original vinyl should be the touchstone.

Personally, and on older scores, I use memory.

Not two tape players turns at the exact same speed (and it have to be [re]calibrated, if not often... from time to time).

Not two turntables turns at the same exact speed (then again it have to [re]calibrated of not often, but from time to time). And on some turntables using rubber strap, you have to know that when they get older, it can affect the playing speed. 

Two different LP pressings (from two different labels, by example) featuring the same source material could run at different speed, if the two tape players they used to make the transfers where not calibrated exactly the same way.

I don't know what people don't understand, but there is never one "truth" when we deal with analogue material.... 😉

25 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Not two tape players turns at the exact same speed (and it have to be [re]calibrated, if not often... from time to time).

Not two turntables turns at the same exact speed (then again it have to [re]calibrated of not often, but from time to time). And on some turntables using rubber strap, you have to know that when they get older, it can affect the playing speed. 

Two different LP pressings (from two different labels, by example) featuring the same source material could run at different speed, if the two tape players they used to make the transfers where not calibrated exactly the same way.

I don't know what people don't understand, but there is never one "truth" when we deal with analogue material.... 😉

Just line it up to the CD.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is there really a difference?

I ask, because I know he's under high medication. I understand that he can loose some parts sometimes!

On 7/14/2018 at 7:30 PM, Bespin said:

I never know if you are serious or if you joke, Steefy.

CD's don't play at a possibly incorrect speed. One advantage of digital.

Why not use that instead of relying on guesswork?

Depends on whether the digital transfer used the correct speed in the first place. The 2008 Indy CDs are all over the place in terms of speed. If it's not a specialty label release from the last 10-15 years, or a completely digital recording where speed can't really change unless deliberately edited, you have no reason to assume its correctness regardless of the carrier medium.

At the end, what I tried to say is that the varese sarabande Dracula seems indeed at the right speed. 

And the guy that sent me the WAVs has correctly calibrated his turntable, so I didn’t change the speed of his rip.

On 7/14/2018 at 7:30 PM, Bespin said:

I never know if you are serious or if you joke, Steefy.

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

At the end, what I tried to say is that the varese sarabande Dracula seems indeed at the right speed. So I compared my restoration to it.

The guy that sent me the WAVs has correctly calibrated his turntable, so I didn’t change the speed of his rip.

Do you know now?