Michael Giacchino: Unpopular Opinions

JoeinAR

I'll start.

He is not particularly good, at least from my perspective. He is not terrible but he is rarely good or great. His Up was fantastic. But like a broken clock or blind pig.  Perhaps TGP can start this type of thread for Zimmer.

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I'll start.

He is not particularly good, at least from my perspective. He is not terrible but he is rarely good or great. His Up was fantastic. But like a broken clock or blind pig.  Perhaps TGP can start this type of thread for Zimmer.

From what I read, that's not an unpopular opinion around here. I would think saying he's one of the best composers in Hollywood today (my opinion) is far more unpopular of an opinion. Lol. At least on these forums.

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The problem with this thread is that the sentiments are already in every other thread where Giacchino's brought up. Haven't we had enough of this punching bag shit, how much further can you beat a dead horse?

Williams fans are very insecure and feel the need to bash his supposed successor in order to soothe their egos.

I understand the thread for Williams, with this place as a fan forum because there isn't really much that is negatively opined concerning Williams and his music and that's why that thread is interesting because people can be vocal and share opinions that we aren't often exposed to. Yet, anytime Giacchino is brought up it's largely negative making any unpopular opinion about him the antithesis of this thread. If we're going by popularity on this forum then I expect to see positive comments here etc.

His MEDAL OF HONOR scores, SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY, THE INCREDIBLES, RATATOUILLE and UP are all great. Almost everything post-UP, not so much. He has his moments, but by and large I feel like the quality of his stuff has been in freefall these past few years. I also tend to think he does better with animation than he does with live-action, for whatever reason.

Just now, Breadstick Basilisk said:

His MEDAL OF HONOR scores, SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY, THE INCREDIBLES and UP are all great. Almost everything post-UP, not so much. He has his moments, but by and large I feel like the quality of his stuff has been in freefall these past few years.

Not an unpopular opinion, dude, so...

Related image

Oh yay! An official place for Giacchino bashers to spit their unwelcomed opinions. Does that mean actual Giacchino topics where people actually want to discuss his music will now be void of your insufferable dread? Or are you still going to seek attention there too?

15 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Jurassic World is a very good score, hampered by a pretty bad recording and an unbalanced album.

Bilbo likes this.

15 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Whatever happened to Bilbo Skywalker? 

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

That name no longer has any meaning to him.

He is more human than a machine now. Decent and good.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Oh yay! An official place for Giacchino bashers to spit their unwelcomed opinions. Does that mean actual Giacchino topics where people actually want to discuss his music will now be void of your insufferable dread? Or are you still going to seek attention there too?

Its a legitimate thread despite whatever those who reach this composer thinks.

We already had an official thread for that.

9 hours ago, Arpy said:

The problem with this thread is that the sentiments are already in every other thread where Giacchino's brought up. Haven't we had enough of this punching bag shit, how much further can you beat a dead horse?

Says the guy with Giacchino in his avatar.

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Jurassic World is a very good score, hampered by a pretty bad recording and an unbalanced album.

Agreed. Hugely relieved Fallen Kingdom sounds great recording-wise!

The first time (and one of the few times since) I was impressed by a Gia score was Tomorrowland. It’s actually quite a good score.

Once the End Credits from Star Trek 2009 came up on Spotify, and I remember thinking "Holy crap! This is actually really good coming from Giacchino!" Only later did I learn the truth...

To be honest, I think the only thing of his I've heard which I'd consider first rank is his music for the intro of Lost Season 2.

2 minutes ago, Loert said:

Once the End Credits from Star Trek 2009 came up on Spotify, and I remember thinking "Holy crap! This is actually really good coming from Giacchino!" Only later did I learn the truth...

To be honest, I think the only thing of his I've heard which I'd consider first rank is his music for the intro of Lost Season 2.

What truth is that? :S 

1 hour ago, Loert said:

Most of what he did for Lost is top shelf.  I don't know if that is an unpopular opinion or not.

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Most of what he did for Lost is top shelf.  I don't know if that is an unpopular opinion or not.

I know myself and Jay feel the same. It’s his best work to date. But it’s hard to rival 6 years of composition and development with your average summer blockbuster. 

I’m of the mind that his best overall music was composed at the start of his career, peaked in 2010, and has been in decline ever since. 

Fallen Kingdom quenched my bloodthirst for fun beastly music, and that's all that I requested from the likes of him. 

Most of the rest of his work is merely a matter of not usually being to my interest movie-wise. Which is to say, I couldn't care less whether Doctor Deranged got a great score or not, or whatever that was called. 

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I know myself and Jay feel the same. It’s his best work to date. But it’s hard to rival 6 years of composition and development with your average summer blockbuster. 

I’m of the mind that his best overall music was composed at the start of his career, peaked in 2010, and has been in decline ever since. 

Yup. He's been in steady decline since he got his Oscar for Up. Either he's been pigeonholed into a very particular sound that adequately serves the blockbuster platters he's served every year. Or years of prolific output just exposed his limitations as a composer.

Since he entered the film arena, his best work has always been for Pixar.

I have yet to check out Lost (sorry, Grey), and I'm not really sure I have the willpower for it.

Jason and I know what's up.  Tomorrowland is the shit brah.

I must admit though that I don't understand the effusive praise given to War for the Planet of the Apes last year by some in the film score enthusiast circles.  Fell pretty flat mostly for me.

Inside Out is indeed great.  With the two mentioned and Jupiter Ascending, 2015 was a good time to be listening to him.  For me, I responded so negatively to Rogue One that it's felt like I can't really get into any scores he's put out since then.

9 minutes ago, Kühni said:

KK - How art things in Canuckia? :) Or, in your part of it? I recently came as close to you as we'll ever get...Toronto Airport! :D 

Cheers Kuhni! Things are well. Busy, hot and sporadically rainy...

And bah! Whereabouts are you these days?

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I must admit though that I don't understand the effusive praise given to War for the Planet of the Apes last year by some in the film score enthusiast circles.  Fell pretty flat mostly for me.

I think it's because it's one of the few times you hear moments of him reaching outside of his comfort zone. Alas, moments does not a great score make.

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I’m of the mind that his best overall music was composed at the start of his career, peaked in 2010, and has been in decline ever since

Back then he sounded earnest. He didn't sound like this!:

images.jpg