Michael Giacchino: Unpopular Opinions

JoeinAR

He scores better when he has the least amount of click tracks to do, hence why the moody Lost tracks or the game soundtracks feel more cohesive.

• 2 weeks later...

He is one of the best composers working in Hollywood today and, at minimum, always writes a serviceable score. I think he is far better at writing for smaller moments then for balls to the wall grandeur. For example, I find the emotional intimacy of the score for UP much more impactful than the attempt at awe in the main theme to Jurassic World. Often his attempts at epic or lush sound heavy-handed and stilted.

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

I wonder who is more hated here: Giacchino or Zimmer?

The wonderful thing is I can hate them both!

Just now, The Illustrious Jerry said:

And I can enjoy them all at the same time! 

Why? They are so...whats the word? Mediocre, yes that fits!

I prefer Giacchino to Zimmer. I don't really like any of the score Zimmer's put out there lately, but his early 21st century works are always good to go back to. For Giacchino, it's hit and miss. He can be pretty good and he can be mediocre. There are times where he simply doesn't meet expectations, but I wouldn't call that bad. For all the work he's done he does have a fair bit of good material.

I reckon Zimmer is a more versatile composer and for me his highs are far more frequent and, well, high, than Giacchino's.  What Giacchino did for Lost is masterful, legendary, but frankly I could take or leave pretty much everything else he's ever done.  One of the most frustrating composers in Hollywood.

25 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I prefer Giacchino to Zimmer. I don't really like any of the score Zimmer's put out there lately, but his early 21st century works are always good to go back to. For Giacchino, it's hit and miss. He can be pretty good and he can be mediocre. There are times where he simply doesn't meet expectations, but I wouldn't call that bad. For all the work he's done he does have a fair bit of good material.

I enjoy most of Zimmer's pre-2000 stuff, but wish he would have stayed away from POTC and DC.

3 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Unpopular opinion: If Williams or another force of nature decides that someone else must score Indy 5, they should give it to Giacchino. Spielberg and Gia together have already proven themselves a great team.

Oh HELL no. Giachino is sheer disappointment waiting to happen. He has embarrassed himself following Williams before 3 times with his ineptness. He had a wide open free play with his Star trek scores and choked.  

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Incredibles + 5x Medal of Honor + UP! are a better prediction than a rushed assignment for RO and some Treky movies.

Nowadays add also Spiderman for action scoring and  Incredibles 2 for orchestration

I don't waste my time with video game shit.

His spiderman scores pale to Horner's work.

37 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

If you treat his MoH scores like this, then for the purposes of assessing anything about Giacchino you could as well be deaf.

and as for the Spidermen... well, Horner's sound is the musical aequivalent of plastic tits, and even without that Homecoming is more fun.

You are clueless

I dont get the appeal giacchino is a hack. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

He always wanted to be a director and fell into composing

This!

I definitely think he is not a natural composer. His work rarely seems effortless in the way Williams' does (save for maybe Ratatouille.)

I also have yet to seem him score a drama in any meaningful way, so that shows he's kinda limited.

I think his themes are often too short and do not have secondary sections or phrases. That's why he does not do many concert suites though he does more than many other modern composers.

A lot of the time he's trying really hard and you can see that. Trying very hard to be Williams or whatever his conception of an ideal composer is.

That said,

I do like a lot of his work. He just needs more maturity, more grace, more sophistication in his work. 

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I wonder who is more hated here: Giacchino or Zimmer?

Not really a fan of either, but at least Zimmer has written 2 good scores - Inception and The Thin Red Line. Giacchino has Lost which is my favourite work of his, but I can't say I love that, but it is his best work to date. I consider Zimmer superior - his highs are more frequent and higher than Giacchino's. Giacchino is probably the most overrated film composer working at the moment (Zimmer is also one of the most overrated composers right now, but at least he sometimes, but rarely delivers - the last time he delivered the goods for me was Inception, which at the time was a fresh score - a rare achievement for film scores).

He has never lived up to being the NEXT John Williams. 

That is sadly not his fault. 

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

You are clueless

I dont get the appeal giacchino is a hack. 

I don't get the appeal that Giacchino's a hack either.

20 hours ago, Arpy said:

I don't get the appeal that Giacchino's a hack either.

If you are going to argue my point then make  a bit more sense.