JWFan Composer Roast

Nick Parker

Which Composer You Would Like to Roast First?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Composer You Would Like to Roast First?

• Bernard Herrmann
    • John Barry
    • Miklos Rosza
    • Danny Elfman
    • James Newton Howard
    • Thomas Newman
  2. 2. Would You Prefer to Focus on Roasting Successful Composers of Yore (potentially including older veterans like Williams, Goldsmith, and Morricone), or More Recent Successes?

• Old Farts
    • Young Blood

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/07/18 at 12:14 AM

Reading this forum, I've come to realize: a good amount of us can be very dry, sarcastic, acerbic, cynical old dogs. And can be very funny. So, I thought it might be fun to try an experiment, one that would allow us to use those skills in a good-natured, lighthearted venue that's fun for the whole family.

Seeing all of these unpopular opinion threads, and being a fan of Dean Martin celebrity roasts, I want to see how successful we could make a JWFan Composer Roast. Here's how I'm thinking it will work: I'll put up a poll featuring a selection of top-dog composers. I'll set it to close within a given time frame, and whoever gets the most votes will be our roast subject for the following week or so. I'll try to select composers that I think a good amount of us are familiar with, but I don't have the biggest pulse on the film score scene, so I'm very open to dark horse candidates if there's enough support for it, or if I think the suggestion has potential.

When we choose a composer, our roast can either be the traditional "monologue" delivered in regards to the recipient, or we can add on to each other's posts, throwing in some fun banter.

I'd like to emphasize the good-natured and lighthearted aspect. Yes, we'd potentially be barbecuing sacred cows (or at least accomplished successes), in a more overtly comedic way than all of these unpopular opinion threads, but behind it all should be a current of cheer and playful ribbing, a backhanded testament to their success, good fortune, and, hopefully, good skill in their craft achieved through years of diligent work.

If this is something you think could be fun, feel free to vote! I set this first poll to close this coming Saturday, the 7th of July.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Don't worry.  I'm sure it will happen to you one day.

Awww snap, the poll's barely started and we already got a roaster at the ready! Is this an idea that interests you, dear Disco?

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Awww snap, the poll's barely started and we already got a roaster at the ready! Is this an idea that interests you, dear Disco?

You know, I've never enjoyed watching roasts as their own event, not even the old Dean Martin/Don Rickles style.  But I do enjoy roast-type jokes as part of conversation, yeah.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You know, I've never enjoyed watching roasts as their own event, not even the old Dean Martin/Don Rickles style.  But I do enjoy roast-type jokes as part of conversation, yeah.

Could you see a way to incorporate that conversational roasting, a true staple of JWFan, into the general format of this thread?

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Who the hell is Miklos Rosza?

Save the jokes for after the poll.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

Who the hell is Miklos Rosza?

Save the jokes for after the poll.

No, I'm serious. I only know Miklós Rózsa, Mr. Pakrer!

Well maybe he would've been able to score more than bloated religious epics and ridiculously over-the-top "slice of life" dramas if he chose a name that Americans could actually spell!

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

No, I'm serious. I only know Miklós Rózsa, Mr. Nick Pakrer!

Not his fault you guys are dyslexic. The name Rózsa is not exactly a Khachaturian, Tschaikowsky or Krzyzanowski. It means Rose. He could have changed his name to Nick Rose, but as most of us, he was proud of being Hungarian.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Not his fault you guys are dyslexic. The name Rózsa is not exactly a Khachaturian, Tschaikowsky or Krzyzanowski. It means Rose. He could have changed his name to Nick Rose, but as most of us, he was proud of being Hungarian.

Unlike that asshole Manó Kaminer / Mihály Kertész / Michael Curtiz

He first hid his Jewishness by changing to Mihály Kertész, Michael is obvious, and Curtiz is literally just an attempt to beat Kertész' pronounciation into an English spelling.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Well I guess someone from Hungary had to be successful outside of the village.

Half the world was invented by Hungarians, and we really like to bring that fact up like it has any relevance to today.

Wait, did I just kinda roast myself?

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

He first hid his Jewishness by changing to Mihály Kertész, Michael is obvious, and Curtiz is literally just an attempt to beat Kertész' pronounciation into an English spelling.

:( 

I certainly didn't expect to be reading the Wiki page for Magyarization when I got up this morning.  Very interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magyarization

Hey, if he knew his legacy in American cinema would be chiefly remembered by snooty snobs and hipsters who like to think they're cool because they can namedrop Billy Wilder, I bet you he would've changed his name!

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Half the world was invented by Hungarians, and we really like to bring that fact up like it has any relevance to today.

Wait, did I just kinda roast myself?

You know, I don’t think Giacchino gets enough hate on this forum so I nominate him for first up. 

And then second...

Why can’t we have a Gia bashing thread? 😢

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

You know, I don’t think Giacchino gets enough hate on this forum so I nominate him for first up. 

And then second...

Why can’t we have a Gia bashing thread? 😢

As someone who has many uncouth things to say about Mr. Giacchino's aesthetic and compositional sensibilities...no thanks.

21 hours ago, Holko said:

He could have changed his name to Nick Rose, but as most of us, he was proud of being Hungarian.

Little known fact: Rozsa moonlighted as Hollywood nightclub owner and noir scene underworld lord Nick Rose.  He wasn't as reclusive as he would have you believe.

A young composition student of his found out about his activities and was quite disillusioned.  He went to the police, but the detective on duty just srugged him off.

"Forget it, Jerry, its Tinseltown."

Yes, a true credit to your people.

So far the overwhelming majority really wants to roast Danny Elfman! Interestingly, though, the majority vote at the moment is for the old fogies, which slowly crept up in the last several hours. What's your idea of the old farts? For the record, I consider the generation of Elfman, Horner, Zimmer, Thomas and David Newman, Shore, etc. to be the first of the "young blood generation".

18 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Does anyone else think Williams' modern action music sounds like Stopping the Train from Spider-Man 2?

Why haven't you changed your name to "Spider-Man's Coke" yet?

3 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

He drinks Dr. Pepper!

You're an amazing creature, Batman's Diet Coke. Dr. Pepper and Coca-Cola are not so different.

51 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Is it really?

Good cue, wish it stayed in the film!

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

You're an amazing creature, Batman's Diet Coke. Dr. Pepper and Coca-Cola are not so different.

There is a world of difference between them.  Dr. Pepper tastes like medicine.

Just now, Batman's Diet Coke said:

And you? What would you do for love?

Pay a girl to pretend to enjoy my company, and let them walk away with payment if they decide I'm such an grotesque piece of garbage that they can't even pretend to like me?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Hey @Nick Parker have you watched the Steve Martin-Martin Short comedy special on Netflix? They roast the shit out of each other!  I think you’d enjoy.

Naw, I don't have Netflix. Otherwise all I'd do is watch Dave Chapelle over and over.

1 hour ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

fw557z9v29711.jpg

Had you not been so selfish, your little soda's dumping would have been quick and painless...but now that you've really pissed me off, I'm going to pour it down the drain, nice...and slow.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Just watched this the other day. It was okay.

Maybe I was just in the right mood but I about died laughing.  I can’t stand most younger standups though.  I also have just always enjoyed Martin Short especially.

I lose patience with “edgy” comedians as I get older.  It’s really more about egomaniacs making themselves feel important and than anything.