Star Wars: Jar Jar Binks actor Ahmed Best considered suicide

Quintus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44708983

How awful for that man. I have on occasion wondered about how he must have felt about the overwhelmingly bad and even angry response to his character. But did anyone ever really lay the blame for Binks at Best's feet? I should surely hope not.

Yeah.

I mean, I can understand someone getting riled up over a film, but people really lack self-control if they're driven to offend others online because of their involvement in said film.

That's especially true when the victim is someone who wasn't making the creative choices but following them, namely actors such as Best or Marie-Tran.

Jake Lloyd's life pretty much fell apart after TPM as well. Poor kid.

I don't know if it's better or worse now than it was in 1999. Worse in some ways I suppose, because with social media there's a lot more opportunity for trolls to viciously attack these people. On the other hand, there's a much greater network of support...e.g. for every troll going after Kelly Marie Tran there were a hundred voicing messages of support.

Personally, I've never had a problem with Jar-Jar Binks. I liked him, in 1999, and I still like him, in 2018. His scene with the Naboo queen, as the sun sets on Courascant, is very touching.

The only character that I've ever had any serious issues is, is a character from my favourite TV show, whose name began with an "A". I'm unable to inform JWfaners of how much I HATE that character. I was very glad when he died.

I didn't understand why some people  loved him. He's only there to entertain the toddles. R2-D2 had universal appeal for young and old, but with Jar-Jar, Lucas went too far.

23 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Its a godawful character though, tbh.

Yes but he should be allowed to live with his professional embarrassment in peace like any other bad actor

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes but he should be allowed to live with his professional embarrassment in peace like any other bad actor

I never blamed the actor. It's CGI to me, anyway.

So people would love the character if it was played a little bit better? Get the frack out of here! It's not the actor who is to blame. It's the vision behind it.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The voice....the voice....

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

So people would love the character if it was played a little bit better? Get the frack out of here! It's not the actor who is to blame. It's the vision behind it.

Whoa, ease up on that hip slang, corn dog, you're gonna lose us! ;) I do wonder what would happened if Lucas kept the character closer to his original vision, which was a lot less...flamboyant.

That is very sad.  I did see an interview online where you could sympathize with how hurt he was that the character wan't well received since it was his first break.  RIP.  :(

4 minutes ago, karelm said:

That is very sad.  I did see an interview online where you could sympathize with how hurt he was that the character wan't well received since it was his first break.  RIP.  :(

Oh nonononono, the title says "considered", he's still here!

39 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh nonononono, the title says "considered", he's still here!

OOHHH!!! I thought it meant his death is considered a suicide!  Whew!  😌

I checked Rian Johnson's Twitter a couple weeks ago for the first time since TLJ came out and I was amazed how much harassment he still gets on completely unrelated tweets. It's a pathetic sight but I imagine/hope he's finding the non-sequiturs hilarious. He's probably blocked the most chronic hecklers by now.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The voice....the voice....

Yeah but it stuck! People love doing that voice. It's the Tommy Wiseau thing, how bad can something get until it's kind of a success.

Just now, mrbellamy said:

I checked Rian Johnson's Twitter a couple weeks ago for the first time since TLJ came out and I was amazed how much harassment he still gets on completely unrelated tweets. It's a pathetic sight but I imagine/hope he's finding the non-sequiturs hilarious. He's probably blocked the most chronic hecklers by now.

He's probably disabled his notifications.

Fans have forgotten that Star Wars is really just about blowing things up. And TLJ delivered one of my favourite explosions ever when Diane rammed the ship into that bigger ship and everything went all funny lighting like at the end of Alien when the monster got blown away by the exhaust engine. Yeaaah!

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Ya know what, screw Star Wars. At this point, I don't know if it'd be better for Star Wars to continue, to show these bizarro world deluded, back-patting jackasses who consider other's suffering a point of personal pride that their disgusting, sub-human behavior doesn't amount to any kind of "victory" (to which I'm sure they would set to "Yub Nub" and bonfires); or for Star Wars to just end, for these people to wax nostalgic about it and realize that their precious, elusive cinematic treasures and manna from heaven will never see another incarnation in their lifetimes. Of course, I'm sure they'd find something else to get demented about.

The more time goes on, the more I practice self-hynoptic tunnel vision, seeing Star Wars purely as a imaginative, quaint contribution and gift from some truly great, gifted artists of our time and beyond, including the singular talents of a deeply skilled American composer named Mr. John Williams. 

Meh. You should be able to differentiate the artistic merits of the franchise from the bad behaviour of its more obnoxious fans.  Why should their bad behaviour prevent you, or anyone else, from enjoying something that's (mostly) otherwise wonderful.  

3 hours ago, John said:

(...) Made Hayden Christensen quit acting (...)

I would not say that Christensen has quit acting, I would say that acting has quit him.

Poor guy, he had some pretty good moments in Sith when he just had to look silently and wasn't forced to whine out George's "dialogue"...

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Mattris: Because I say so!

After the debacle over at the SWD thread, I wonder if that guy is gone from the forum for good.

Good riddance if that's the case!