Do you think Jerry Goldsmith is overrated on this forum?

Do you think Jerry Goldsmith is overrated on this forum?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Jerry Goldsmith is overrated on this forum?

• Yes
    • No

I'm not familiar with too many of his works, even just in-movie, but what I know perfectly justifies his rating.

Which score do most people hold as his magnum opus?

Nah, he is perfectly rated as one of the best ever (top 10 at least, top 5 is debatable) I think.

Chinatown remains his best work, is on par with Williams's finest work and one of the top 25 film scores of all time.

A bit overrated, perhaps.  Only The Blue Max and The Russia House have really fired up my synapses.

I do respect the length and breadth of his output, though.

4 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Hatred takes more energy than its worth and is thus best reserved only for matters where it's truly warranted, but I do hold intense contempt for the term "overrated".

So you think "overrated" is overrated?

He's the best film composer of all time and he should get his own subforum here! (Solely I have created enough Goldsmith threads to fill a subforum.)

In short, he's not overrated. It can really take a long time to get the idea of what makes him a musical genius, but there are several reasons to consider him as such. It's way easier to approach the (slightly inferior) genius of John Williams, so he's the guy that tends to be more overrated.

PS: Mozart is overrated!

I agree with you on Mozart and Williams, Brundlefly. In fact I'm not even a big fan of most Mozart, though I'm certainly a pretty big Williams fan.

Of course Jerry Goldsmith is my favorite composer of all time so I don't even think he's overrated at FSM much less here...I'm just flabbergasted at those who love Chinatown alone among his work.

Yavar

Through all you guys' talking about Rudy, I only keep thinking "Rudy the Racing Pig? Did Goldsmith score that old German movie and was it that good?"

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Except Scarlet Johansson. Yuck. And I thought she was terrible long before those casting controversies came around.

Any and all good will I’ve ever felt toward you is now squandered

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

But she's so generic and robotic! She was the worst thing about the Spongebob Movie!

Enough fucking said, now go to your room and think about your poor decisions

tumblr_m1zh0jgqtO1rr8wy7o1_500.gif

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

She has no character! No charisma! I don't care about butts, I want character! I want fun and livelihood! Love and warmth! ScarJo has no warmth. She's soulless. She's empty.

She hasn’t done much lately I’ve loved.  But I adored her in Ghost World and Lost in Translation back in the day.

She was perfect in Under the Skin, but of course warmth is the last thing that movie was going for.

On 7/6/2018 at 11:26 PM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Anyone else think Horner is better than Goldsmith?

Me.  Also mstrox, I think.

Horner also wins in the more recent direction of this conversation. 

The_rocketeer_921.jpg

a9c8cfad8c9e881d76aab13677fe1c09.jpg