Are film scores overrated on this forum?

Are film scores overrated on this forum?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Are film scores overrated on JWfan?

56 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I mean they're just friggin background music in movies. You're not supposed to hear them on their own anyway. Liking this shit could be a sign you never matured and got into real music. Grow up!

I do what I do best, I take scores. You do what you do best, try to stop guys like me.

3 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I mean they're just friggin background music in movies. You're not supposed to hear them on their own anyway. Liking this shit could be a sign you never matured and got into real music. Grow up!

Jerry can take a bird, and just flip it. He can take a tear that's forming in your eye, and cause it to dry up.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Is the word "overrated" overrated on this forum?

No, but it's overused.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Are polls asking if things are overrated overrated on this forum?

That and the recent proliferation of unpopular opinion threads.  

Good that the place is active, though.

Oh, and film scores are not overrrated.  Until the best of them are embraced by the classical establishment at large, they will continue to be underrated.  

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

That's why I plead to stop using music for filling up the background, otherwise people tend to become immune.  If a director wants music, let it be sparsely but in the foreground, like they so often do with pop songs in movies. 

11 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

like they so often do with pop songs in movies. 

This is what's lead to the position of "music supervisor" being something that some movie fans actually celebrate as if it's a talent to be admired.  They even have their own awards.  Which I think is just laughably stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a knack to choosing the "perfect" song for a scene, and should require an encyclopedic knowledge, but, you know... let's not get carried away like it's a talent equal to composition.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is what's lead to the position of "music supervisor" being something that some movie fans actually celebrate as if it's a talent to be admired.  They even have their own awards.  Which I think is just laughably stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a knack to choosing the "perfect" song for a scene, and should require an encyclopedic knowledge, but, you know... let's not get carried away like it's a talent equal to composition.

Composed or selected, I only care for the result or the effect it evokes.

@Margo Channing Almost every aspect of filmmaking is celebrated and respected for a reason whether it be acting, directing, writing, sound, editing etc. Why should film scores not be considered music in their own right? If we strip away the concept art and design and take it out of the context of the film, does it make it less valuable, or less artistic or worthy of attention? 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

@Margo Channing Almost every aspect of filmmaking is celebrated and respected for a reason whether it be acting, directing, writing, sound, editing etc. Why should film scores not be considered music in their own right? If we strip away the concept art and design and take it out of the context of the film, does it make it less valuable, or less artistic or worthy of attention? 

Because unlike acting, cinematography, screenwriting, etc. film music manipulates you, it tells you how to feel!

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Because unlike acting, cinematography, screenwriting, etc. film music manipulates you, it tells you how to feel!

Film music does not tell you what to feel.  It feels it with you.