Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Quintus

Are threads overrated on this forum?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, KK said:

I see that I haven't missed much...

 

1. Visit jwfan.com/forums

 

2. Click 'General Discussion'

 

3. Ctrl + F

 

4. Type "hostility'

 

5. Click thread

 

6. Uncork wine

 

7. Enjoy

 

I think the thread pairs best with a particularly husky shiraz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KK said:

I see that I haven't missed much...

The Cowboys got the Matessino treatment.

 

Just now, KK said:

Damn you Stu, there goes my Friday night! 😥

 

And what the hell happened to the emojis...

Board update.  Old emoticons are available, just scroll down the emoji box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think threads are underrated.  We should have more threads for individual things, and less threads that combine what could be many threads (i.e. "last score you listened to," "last TV show you watched," "last movie you watched," etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After trying Twitter last year, I must admit I have a deeper appreciation for the form of a discussion forum. I've been getting a little nostalgic about an older time in the Internet, when it was more esoteric and segregated, the communities formed around a given specific topic. Now of course everything is so centralized, and more explicitly tied to one's life (social media).

 

So I think they're underrated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

After trying Twitter last year, I must admit I have a deeper appreciation for the form of a discussion forum. I've been getting a little nostalgic about an older time in the Internet, when it was more esoteric and segregated, the communities formed around a given specific topic. Now of course everything is so centralized, and more explicitly tied to one's life (social media).

 

So I think they're underrated!

 

JWFan is like Twitter but with as many characters as you like and considerably less performative indignant moral grandstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

After trying Twitter last year, I must admit I have a deeper appreciation for the form of a discussion forum. I've been getting a little nostalgic about an older time in the Internet, when it was more esoteric and segregated, the communities formed around a given specific topic. Now of course everything is so centralized, and more explicitly tied to one's life (social media).

 

So I think they're underrated!

 

Twitter is a really excellent replacement for the chatroom, and a great place just to make dumb jokes with your friends, but a really poor replacement for message boards (despite all of those interminable threaded tweets people do).

 

Facebook used to be a really poor replacement for message boards (back when it focused on "groups"), and switched to more focus on the timeline so now its just a really poor replacement for Twitter.

 

I don't understand the appeal of Snapchat or Instagram, but I'm old now.

 

Back in the advent of social media and the decline of most message boards, my friends' website got bought out/merged and we all departed the message board to Google Reader, which was an RSS reader with robust commenting capabilities and the ability to start threads unrelated to RSS feeds.  They closed that down and we all moved to a weird combination of a different RSS reader, Twitter, and a Google e-mail group.  But it's really hard to have good discussion on a specific topic outside of a message board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steve McQueen said:

I love message boards.  Social media is a pain.  Its so personal its impersonal.

 

I may start my own forum one day, see if I can make it work.

 

Just watch out if John joins! One day you'll wake up to discover that the forum is in his name!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I love message boards.  Social media is a pain.  Its so personal its impersonal.

I may start my own forum one day, see if I can make it work.

I'd join, sure.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Just watch out if John joins! One day you'll wake up to discover that the forum is in his name!

Oi! Take it to the hostility thread. John and I have bumped heads before on this forum, but he's a very respectable poster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

 

Not true in my experience.  Too many world affairs play out there now and everybody thinks they're on a moral political crusade.  Twitter needs 2000% more chill.


The one best thing for me about Twitter is that it's entirely an opt-in experience.  I can unfollow anyone who posts crap I don't like.  Even if you follow somebody out of obligation (a friend or whatever), you can always mute them or mute certain keywords.  I don't really mind political stuff, at least not to the small extent that my friends deal with it, although I do mute a few acquaintancey-type people who I'd feel bad unfollowing, but just tweet so much that it makes me unable to keep up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:


The one best thing for me about Twitter is that it's entirely an opt-in experience.  I can unfollow anyone who posts crap I don't like.  Even if you follow somebody out of obligation (a friend or whatever), you can always mute them or mute certain keywords.  I don't really mind political stuff, at least not to the small extent that my friends deal with it, although I do mute a few acquaintancey-type people who I'd feel bad unfollowing, but just tweet so much that it makes me unable to keep up.

 

Even most of the people I made internet friends with years ago when we just talked about ranking Mario Karts seemed to change over the past few years.  Everybody seems to think they have a noble duty to be angry all the time.

 

I'm not even saying their concerns aren't valid, I'm no "PC gone mad" reactionary.  It's just exhausting and I needed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charles Mingus once said: "I used  to play avant-garde bass because no one else did; now I play 4/4 because none of the other bass players do."

 

Similarly, everything's so intense in social media platforms and beyond, I enjoy the idea of being a quiet, dull person who just works on his craft. Composers can be a pain to be friends with on Twitter: there's this notion of "In order to be successful, you have to put yourself on social media!" and man do they take it to heart. I had to stop talking to Jake Kaufman after a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My reaction to recent national developments, has been to think more and more locally.  I even went to a town council meeting!

 

Quote tweeting a shrill, hysterical Washington Post op-ed doesn't actually help anyone.

 

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I had to stop talking to Jake Kaufman after a while.

 

He's great though isn't he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He's great though isn't he?

 

I wish he challenged himself more (he actually said that he's fine with being an Alan Silvestri type), but man he is a fantastic composer. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is one of my favorite games, and the music is a strong reason why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TGP said:

Threads are trash.  Make the live chat room great again. 

 

A few of us on FB have a little messenger chat group going, Drax and Justin, Steef, a couple of others. It can feel more lively than here to me, it's pretty good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nick Parker said:

 

I wish he challenged himself more (he actually said that he's fine with being an Alan Silvestri type), but man he is a fantastic composer. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is one of my favorite games, and the music is a strong reason why.

 

Yes yes yes!  It's the only great Shantae game IMO.  The others are frustrating because of how close they come while falling short.

 

Man this track is so fun

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

 

I wish he challenged himself more (he actually said that he's fine with being an Alan Silvestri type), but man he is a fantastic composer. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is one of my favorite games, and the music is a strong reason why.

What does 'Alan Silvestri type' mean? 

(And yes, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is AWESOME)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

What does 'Alan Silvestri type' mean? 

(And yes, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is AWESOME)

 

Aw man, you're one of those who got into Shantae for the bewbs aren't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

What does 'Alan Silvestri type' mean? 

(And yes, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is AWESOME)

 

First of all, those were his words almost exactly, so I'm not extrapolating anything. What he meant by it was that he doesn't really do anything stunningly innovative or experimental (he used Zimmer as a counter-example):  he's just a solid guy offering up good, effective comfort food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KK said:

I thought that group was just Drax and Justin. I might have you guys on mute lol

 

Nah, non participants were simply ousted and removed quite early on ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've actually been tempted towards FB recently with the promise of some such groups with colleagues/friends - JWFan might sweeten the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the FB group text but rarely have anything to add!  I'm only friends on there with Jay and Steef though, so everyone can feel free to add me and look at the four posts a year I make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes yes yes!  It's the only great Shantae game IMO.  The others are frustrating because of how close they come while falling short.

Agreed! It was the first one I played, so I really set myself up for disappointment, even with the latest one. I'll stop derailing this thread, though.

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:   A few of us on FB have a little messenger chat group going, Drax and Justin, Steef, a couple of others. It can feel more lively than here to me, it's pretty good.    I've actually been tempted towards FB recently with the promise of some such groups with colleagues/friends - JWFan might sweeten the deal.

 

I've never had a Facebook profile, is Facebook good? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Agreed! It was the first one I played, so I really set myself up for disappointment, even with the latest one. I'll stop derailing this thread, though.

Are you kiddin'?! Give me Shantae over another GIACCHINO IS THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO FILM MUSIC thread any day! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Are you kiddin'?! Give me Shantae over another GIACCHINO IS THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO FILM MUSIC thread any day! 

 

 

Wrong music.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TGP said:

I've actually been tempted towards FB recently with the promise of some such groups with colleagues/friends - JWFan might sweeten the deal.

 

If you ever fancied joining us, you'd have to bear in mind that there's quite a lot of talk about Titanic and inane PT memes posted there. I just nod and grin whenever that stuff arises. And for some reason, Tobey Maguire is Justin's flavour of the month, which goes way over my head but hey ho. His video blogs are whacky snapshots into his life. Meanwhile, Drax does commentary on whatever he's read here or elsewhere online. There's always something to scroll through every morning when I wake up. Random shots of Leo, Tobey or Justin included. 

 

14 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I've never had a Facebook profile, is Facebook good?

 

Some people live their life on it. I generally just use it to keep in touch and store photos. I wouldn't encourage anyone to sign up to FB if they had no inclination to do so before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I've never had a Facebook profile, is Facebook good? 

 

I use my wife's to snoop on people.  It's fun to look in from the shadows but I feel like if I had one of my own I would be more tempted to get involved with shit and it would start to suck.

 

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

 

If you ever fancied joining us, you'd have to bear in mind that there's quite a lot of talk about Titanic and inane PT memes posted there. I just nod and grin whenever that stuff arises. And for some reason, Tobey Maguire is Justin's flavour of the month, which goes way over my head but hey ho. His video blogs are whacky snapshots into his life. Meanwhile, Drax does commentary on whatever he's read here or elsewhere online. There's always something to scroll through every morning when I wake up. Random shots of Leo, Tobey or Justin included. 

 

Don't mind that so much.  It's part of the local color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It went through a lot of changes recently, yeah? I remember hearing stuff a month or few ago that it was aiming to be more "social" and intimate again. Did that make a difference in quality?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×