Those bastards who fought with John Williams... and won!

Bespin

I know, I almost had an heart attack when I saw it.

Admit, almost 40 years after...  I think Empire Strikes back won the test of time...  😂

Just now, Obi said:

I want to know which Williams's score was against :devil:

You can't tell... just by the year? 😉

Why is Williams not listed in the relevant years? He's his own biggest contender, the only reason Williams didn't win for CE3K is because that bastard Williams won with Star Wars.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Why is Williams not listed in the relevant years? He's his own biggest contender, the only reason Williams didn't win for CE3K is because that bastard Williams won with Star Wars.

OK I can add them!

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

"You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender! I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which I am."

John Williams either said this to a composer's photo, or a mirror, depending on the year.

Grammy Awards

2009    Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight

They take themselves at two for fightin John... that's not fair!

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:
Grammy Awards

2009    Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight

They take themselves at two for fightin John... that's not fair!

And still what they produced was mediocre!

2 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Williams should have won 3/4 of those.

Seeing them all compiled in one place, it is genuinely surprising to see some of the ones that took an Oscar. Really, I imagine the reigning sentiment is "Hey, this guy already has five, let's give others a chance".

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Seeing them all compiled in one place, it is genuinely surprising to see some of the ones that took an Oscar. Really, I imagine the reigning sentiment is "Hey, this guy already has five, let's give others a chance".

Problem is, many of his snubs came before he had 5.  At the very least, it is criminal thathe did not win for Superman, Empire, Born on the Fourth, Far and Away, WarHorse and The Book Thief.  The last one may be a bit subjective.

Problem is, many of his snubs came before he had 5.  At the very least, it is criminal thathe did not win for Superman, Empire, Born on the Fourth, Far and Away, WarHorse and The Book Thief.  The last one may be a bit subjective.

Or Jurassic Park, where he lost to that Williams guy!

I can see some of the rationale that might've been behind those decisions. With Empire, they probably didn't want to award it a sequel of an Oscar-winning score.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

I can see some of the rationale that might've been behind those decisions. With Empire, they probably didn't want to award it a sequel of an Oscar-winning score.

Yeah, nevermind that it is one of the greatest scores of all time.  May the best score win, I say.

Just now, Steve McQueen said:

Yeah, nevermind that it is one of the greatest scores of all time.  May the best score win, I say.

For you, the day Empire graced your ears was the most important day of your life. But for the 1980 Oscar committee, it was Tuesday.

Except for when he was up against Shore, Horner or Barry, Williams should have won each and every one of those years.

He was robbed by a jealous academy members!

Have they given him the lifetime achievement award yet?

No Goldsmith on this list.:( Objectively, he should have beaten Williams a few times. And yes, the jury of the Academy Award has as much to do with objectivity as a synthesizer with a flower bed.

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm gonna wash that little mouth! Don't wake up the Zimmer fans sleeping here... 

Don't you EVER  say his name!!!

I must admit that I agree with A PASSAGE TO INDIA. That Maurice Jarre is a bad muthafucker!

Thank God, JW was not nominated in 1986 for an Oscar. Even The Mission was not enough exceptional to fight against that Jazz revival.... mew...

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Thank God, JW was not nominated in 1986 for an Oscar. Even The Mission was not enough exceptional to fight against that Jazz revival.... mew...

Worst. Snub. Ever.

That jazz thing was forgotten in a couple of weeks.  The Mission is eternal.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Are you dissing Barry's Out if Africa? That's brilliant and among his very best!

6 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Worst. Snub. Ever.

That jazz thing was forgotten in a couple of weeks.  The Mission is eternal.

I still wonder how Morricone survived to that.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you dissing Barry's Out if Africa? That's brilliant and among his very best!

1-9-8-6!

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I hope there's no witness to that...

...but the score is indeed good! Strangely soothing.

MAIN TITLE/JOURNEY TO BALTIMORE is...cosmic.

Let's face it, there are some scores that have OSCAR written all over them (TITANIC; DANCES WITH WOLVES; CHARIOTS OF FIRE; THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING) despite how good the opposition is. That JW is even considered, is a) not always a foregone, and b) an immense honour.

JW is the most honoured musician alive - probably who ever lived - and that means more to me than all the Academy Awards he's never won.

...the Rick Rubin years, the Berlin Trilogy years, and don't forget the night that JW overdosed on Kryptonite, when SUPERMAN didn't win, turned into a rampaging maniac, and finally fought himself for the last black turtleneck, at Macy's.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

...the Rick Rubin years, the Berlin Trilogy years, and don't forget the night that JW overdosed on Kryptonite, when SUPERMAN didn't win, turned into a rampaging maniac, and finally fought himself for the last black turtleneck, at Macy's.

B2FFBEB1-5A3D-4F66-BD11-86DC69001B0E.jpeg

1993 was a year Williams should have won against himself. And not the score that won.

12 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Or Jurassic Park, where he lost to that Williams guy!

These two weren't even nominated :o