JWFan Composer Roast #1 (Pilot): Danny Elfman

Nick Parker

Who Would You Like to Roast for #2?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Like to Roast for #2?

• Thomas Newman
    • James Newton Howard
    • Howard Shore
    • James Horner
    • Bernard Herrmann

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/07/18 at 12:42 AM

Since Elfman's condescending dismal of Zimmer and Junkie XL's Batman thenes, my opinion on him has soured. Who does he think is--James Horner?

'Wonderful driving rhythmic stuff

Ugh.

17 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Who does he think is--James Horner

Both aren't in a position to write interesting music anymore,  so yes, I'd say it's an apt comparison.

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I found all that so entertaining. All the graciousness among film composers gets dull.

What I dislike is the smarminess of it. If you want to piss on your fellow composers, have the balls to do it with gusto! Don't dress it up in as a backhanded compliment.

3 minutes ago, Sharky said:

What I dislike is the smarminess of it. If you want to piss on your fellow composers, have the balls to do it with gusto! Don't dress it up in as a backhanded compliment.

I think you're reading way too much into it.

Karol

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Both aren't in a position to write interesting music anymore,  so yes, I'd say it's an apt comparison.

His Violin Concerto sounds promising.

Elfman's I mean.

16 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

His Violin Concerto sounds promising.

Elfman's I mean.

Agreed, I'm just trumping myself up as a character for these roast threads. Consider them my "Cosmic Wisdom..." moments. ;)

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Enter composting/composing jokes!

At least with Horner's composting, some other living creatures can get some enjoyment from him in his current state, which is more than I can say for Elfman's composing!

16 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Justice League is atrocious.

Would you like to elaborate? 

It's probably the single biggest disappointment from one of these composers. It fails on every level. He couldn't even make use of his own Batman theme in a way that I actually believe he composed it. I now question everything I ever knew. Don't get me started on that nonsense interview he did about the score. Zimmer and Junkie delivered better music for Christ's sake! EVERYONE did!

25 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

It's probably the single biggest disappointment from one of these composers. It fails on every level. He couldn't even make use of his own Batman theme in a way that I actually believe he composed it. I now question everything I ever knew. Don't get me started on that nonsense interview he did about the score. Zimmer and Junkie delivered better music for Christ's sake! EVERYONE did!

And how does this make you feel?

With Elfman, it's all in the name: He really was a mischievous little elf with crazy life energy (the top of his career being dubbing 100 Deep Roys)- until the magic of elves died out in the world, of course. Many adore his work in Nightmare before Christmas, and I have to admit that skeleton had more life in him than Danny's film carreer in the last 10 years.

What's this? What's this?
There's blandness everywhere
What's this?
There's boredom in the air

What's this? What's this?
There's something very wrong
What's this?
No people humming songs

What's this?
I can't believe my ears
I must be dreaming
Wake up, Danny this isn't fair
What's this?

Oh, Danny, dear where have you been?
So near, so far or in between (jobs)?
Compose some freaky shit again
Danny, Danny, please, Danny!

Together with his life partner Timmy (who's also in a relationship with professional drunk idiot Depp) he's gotten softer than the corpse bride's rotting tissue. 

He's the ultimate ginger, though: he even wears special apparatus most fo the time to see the whole world as orange!

34 minutes ago, Holko said:

Together with his life partner Timmy (who's also in a relationship with professional drunk idiot Depp) he's gotten softer than the corpse bride's rotting tissue. 

He's the ultimate ginger, though: he even wears special apparatus most fo the time to see the whole world as orange!

Let's face it though, a gingerbread cookie has more flavor than Danny these days.

50 minutes ago, Holko said:

dubbing 100 Deep Roys

What is that, a beer he has to drink a hundred cans of daily to still have the confidence to take on assignments?

Hey, open question: if you could go back in time, any in his career, what would you tell his younger self?

10 hours ago, publicist said:

That' s too far out, man, even for a roast!

I like Elfman! 

But he does look look like a shit Elton John. 

14 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I like Elfman! 

But he does look look like a shit Elton John. 

Danny Elfman looks like Elton John's Rocket Man after he's separated a couple stages past orbit.