What movies from the past 10 years do you think will be considered classics?

John

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Recently? Only 8 of their 20 films don’t have sequels. 

Not the best way to count that. It's 13 originals out of 20, 8 out of the 13 without sequels (yet)

By recently he meant that their first 10 movies yielded one sequel with nine originals, whereas the next 10 were six sequels and four originals. So the average has obviously gone up this decade.

PIxar lost out on quality control for some time now. They haven't been the same since Toy Story 3.

Pretty sure Walmart has some DVD display right now that is based on this question (along with some older classics). Let's just say I think many of their selections are bogus.

After watching Jaws last night, I realize that movies were made to last back then, because it was just as fun and gripping as the first time I saw it.

Nowadays we have the hype, opening weekend, box office earnings, temporary satisfaction storylines...

What happened to the good old down-to-earth entertainment?

Imagine being a kid in the 80s watching The Empire Strikes Back for the first time. Was Vader really Luke's father? How would they get Han back?

Then imagine having no clue as to what would happen next and having to wait for three years for answers. That's a cliffhanger for ya.

True, but at least Luke and Leia are safe. In that very specific regard, Empire’s cliffhanger is quite tame. It’s not like it cuts at the reveal or when Luke jumps to his presumed death.

57 minutes ago, John said:

Imagine being a kid in the 80s watching The Empire Strikes Back for the first time. Was Vader really Luke's father? How would they get Han back?

Then imagine having no clue as to what would happen next and having to wait for three years for answers. That's a cliffhanger for ya.

Kids these days have it so easy!

Often I fantasize about watching Empire Strikes Back when it originally came out, not to experience the Darth Vader revelation as a surprise, but the revelation that this little green goofball was the great Yoda.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Often I fantasize about watching Empire Strikes Back when it originally came out...

I did:

Original run x6,

Rerelease x2,

Double bill x2 (both times in London, in 70mm/6-track),

Triple bill x1,

SE x2.

That was back in the days when film were worth seeing more than just once.

I've seen Fallen Kingdom three times (once with my aunt, then with grandpa, then by myself), voluntarily. Intend to pre-order the DVD/Blu-ray when it's out.

And no, I don't have any non-online friends to see movies with.

Muppets 2011 was so manipulatively cutesy and pandering nostalgia (to a point of throwing in Rainbow Connection) that it gives the impression Segal seems to think Muppet Show and Sesame Street were the same show.

Not to mention Gonzo barely does anything in it. Therefore it stinks.

8 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Tangled (2010)

The Muppets (2011)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

La La Land (2016)

TLJ will have more staying power than TFA.  Neither are bona fide classics, though.

La La Land has some stuff going for it.

Tangled is a very good film.  More evenly executed than Frozen, better character design, too, even if Frozen has a more nuanced story and characters.  I really wonder how much better or different Frozen would be if Glen Keane were more involved in the project.  Pity he retired/was squeezed out. 

42 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

TLJ will have more staying power than TFA.  Neither are bona fide classics, though.

Nope, TLJ is a (anti-)hyped film that will leave the spotlight pretty quickly, whereas TFA will pass the test of time as a pretty good film.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

Nope, TLJ is a (anti-)hyped film that will leave the spotlight pretty quickly, whereas TFA will pass the test of time as a pretty good film.

Both are pretty much hype films.  

6 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

TLJ is a darker and more disturbing film than TFA, therefore it's better.

TLJ is about as disturbing as apple pie and ice-cream, but I agree...I prefer it to The Fuck All.

2 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

I think TFA will absolutely be regarded as a classic. It kickstarted a long-dormant franchise in explosive fashion, made 2 billion worldwide, was widely acclaimed among both fans and critics, and is overall just a really fun and well-made ride of a movie. In terms of cultural significance, I imagine it will still be remembered many years from now.

TLJ's reception so far has been much more polarizing, but I imagine it will be viewed in a much more positive light by its detractors years from now, much in the same way reception for The Empire Strikes Back has cooled down, and is now regarded as one of the best in the series.

4 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Why do people seem to believe that Empire Strikes Back wasn't positively received and only appreciated years later?

Re-writing history to fit a new media narrative.

3 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Why do people seem to believe that Empire Strikes Back wasn't positively received and only appreciated years later?

Because that's what happened. It received generally mixed reviews upon release.

https://www.starwars.com/news/critical-opinion-the-empire-strikes-back-original-reviews

I don’t think the same will happen to The Last Jedi.

Namely, because Empire Strikes Back is that good, whereas The Last Jedi - meh.

Honestly, the “The Last Jedi is great and in time all will know as much” argument is just as infantile as the “The Last Jedi ruined my childhood” one is. Putting aside the fan criticisms, it’s overwrought, often boring, and inappropriately comedic.

Oh, and...

2 hours ago, Richard said:

TLJ is about as disturbing as apple pie and ice-cream.

That.

13 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I don’t think the same will happen to The Last Jedi. Namely, because Empire Strikes Back is that good, whereas The Last Jedi - meh.

that's your opinion man.gif

13 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Honestly, the “The Last Jedi is great and in time all will know as much” argument is just as infantile as the “The Last Jedi ruined my childhood” one is. Putting aside the fan criticisms, it’s overwrought, often boring, and inappropriately comedic.

Funny, that's exactly how most people here feel about your beloved Hobbit trilogy. ;)

Honestly not much have the cultural relevance to last a lifetime in the public consciousness.

Even some I consider superb films are probably already forgotten, like No Country For Old Men, The Tree Of Life, and The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford. 

20 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Honestly not much have the cultural relevance to last a lifetime in the public consciousness.

Even some I consider superb films are probably already forgotten, like No Country For Old Men, The Tree Of Life, and The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford. 

Well, I certainly havn't forgotten No Country For Old Men.  Disturbing, provoking, about as close to cinematic perfection as you can get.

Not quite there, though.  There's a circa 2004 Volvo semi-truck visible in one scene. 

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford. 

Beautiful film but almost nobody saw it. It's probably too slow and uneventful for most people. I loved every second of it but I still have to see it a second time to see if it holds up. The last thing Andrew Dominik has done is directing a couple of episodes of David Fincher's Manhunter.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Beautiful film but almost nobody saw it. It's probably too slow and uneventful for most people. I loved every second of it but I still have to see it a second time to see if it holds up.

I also love THE ASSASSINATION...,and I saw it at the cinema. It was my favourite film of 2007.

Believe me, Alex, it holds up. Afleck's pitiable performance, the themes of the cult of celebrity, and Deakins' photography make it eminently rewatchable.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Beautiful film but almost nobody saw it. It's probably too slow and uneventful for most people. I loved every second of it but I still have to see it a second time to see if it holds up. The last thing Andrew Dominik has done is directing a couple of episodes of David Fincher's Manhunter.

I wasn’t aware of that, I’ll have to check the show out. He also did a Nick Cave documentary a couple years ago. 

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Chopper and especially Killing Them Softly were also great.

I found Killing Them Softly to be a bit disappointing. I recall it being heavy handed in its political message. 

20 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Well, I certainly havn't forgotten No Country For Old Men.  Disturbing, provoking, about as close to cinematic perfection as you can get.

Not quite there, though.  There's a circa 2004 Volvo semi-truck visible in one scene. 

Its just a remake of The Terminator, Coen style.