John

What movies from the past 10 years do you think will be considered classics?

9 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I found Killing Them Softly to be a bit disappointing. I recall it being heavy handed in its political message. 

I agree. Chopper, OTOH, is really good ... Eric Bana's best performance ever.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I must give credit to Alexcremers here.

Thanks, Steef! It's all based on 'the unstoppable nightmare". Spielberg's Duel is another one (where this time a truck poses for an unstoppable machine). Of course,  No Country For Old Men resembles The Terminator much closer than Duel does. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Thanks, Steef! It's all based on 'the unstoppable nightmare". Spielberg's Duel is another one (where this time a truck poses for an unstoppable machine). Of course,  No Country For Old Men resembles The Terminator much closer than Duel does. 

This comparison is really far-fetched, because the 'unstoppable nightmare'-aspect you mentioned is basically the only thing that unites the three movies.

I'd say that's a big thing. It's what drives these movies and why they work so well (or the reason why they do what they do). They all evoke the same distinctive effect on the viewer: The effect of the unstoppable nightmare. A force that is coming after you and nothing you can do will change that. The rest or everything else is merely a sideshow.

I like WESTWORLD (avoid FUTUREWORLD, if you value your sanity), and NIGHT OF THE HUNTER was a misunderstood masterpiece. Thank goodness that it continues to be reappraised. Mr. Laughton did good.

The Night Of The Hunter is recognized as a masterpiece for decades now. However, the movie's second half (with them other kids) is nearly not as good as the first, IMO. 

the-night-of-the-hunter-final.jpg

Scene from the second half.

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The rest or everything else is merely a sideshow.

Regarding Duel: yes,

regarding The Terminator: maybe,

regarding No Country for Old Men: no.

I find the lack of prospective minor classics, or even lasting "cult following" movies from the last decade... disturbing.

It might be true, that the closest to a movie that will be called a classic (for whatever reason; in this case: music), is La La Land (2016). This one gets a "minor classic" prediction from me.

As mentioned before, and that I can confirm, people seem to love Tangled (2010).  It will definitely remain high on a Disney Classic list in the next few decades.

WALL-E and Up will not be forgotten as long as the generation that saw them as kids lives. 

Definitely several "serious dramas" of the last decade will be remembered. Which ones—I cannot tell, because I rarely connect with this type of appeal.

The example candidates are for me The Slumdog Millionaire (2008) and Gran Torino (2008).

There is the production-wonder of Boyhood (2014). This movie will be noted in textbooks for film studies, but more in the vein of what a certain Spaniard disinterestedly said in the fourth POTC movie: "someone make a note of that man's bravery"... 

From other movies that I have seen, my candidates for... let's say "genre classics", are as following:

Batman: The Dark Knight (2008),

Inglourious Basterds (2009) and Django Unchained (2012),

Skyfall (2012),

either Avengers: Infinity War (2018) or The Avengers (2012),

The Cabin in The Woods (2012) or Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010),

There are also a handful of wild cards. Maybe the guys from the future or our future A.I overlords will like them.

Wild Tales (2014),

Bone Tomahawk (2015),

Sita Sings The Blues (2008),

Serial (Bad) Weddings (2014),

Midnight in Paris (2011),

Such a lesser son of greater sires, this last decade. Even the 1970s probably had a better roster of minor movies. (Not to mention what else they had ;) )

As to the dilution of what a classic even is... meh. If someone (or a group of someones) with balls had half-a-billion $ and seriously invited the current youtube film pundits and their disciples (even through polls) to a cooperation, great movies could be made every summer... Movie critics, who now waste their vocabulary on mediocre pictures, would blow up like that bird in Shrek.