Superman the Movie 4K UHD disc release expected 2018 (theatrical?)

Probably should start a new thread for this, but WB seems to be planning a 4k UHD release for S: TM later this year:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/071018-1130

... we’ve been hearing from industry sources that Warner has quietly begun scanning Superman: The Movie in 4K for eventual release on 4K Ultra HD, as this year marks the film’s 40th anniversary (it was released theatrically in early December of 1978). And now we’re starting to hear from retail sources as well that a UHD release is indeed coming. We expect to see the title announced, possibly at Comic-Con, for release sometime in November or December.

I wonder which version of the film it will be.

Guess I'll have to start planning to acquire a 4k rig.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

LLL release of the score is sure to be around the same time!

I bet that's the plan, yeah. And then it'll get delayed til February. 😂

Williams with Donner at the lair:

CW-STM-Superman-confronts-Luthor-lair-10

courtesy: capedwonder.com

40 years ago today, 7/11/78: John Williams conducts his first take of the SupermanTheme with the London Symphony Orchestra. Recording continues on the track on July 13th. The track is called Prelude and Main Title (alternate), and can be heard on Superman-The Music. John Williams also records the first version of the Fortress of Solitude music on July 11th, which will not be used in the final film.

👍👍👍

An earlier composition that was re-written and rerecorded when the scene got re-edited.  IIRC the sheet music for it leaked, but we've never heard the recording, if it still exists anywhere

Imagine how the colors will pop in 4K. It will still be the most beautifully shot Superman film but now more crisp

2 hours ago, Jay said:

An earlier composition that was re-written and rerecorded when the scene got re-edited.  IIRC the sheet music for it leaked, but we've never heard the recording, if it still exists anywhere

Hopefully that's something LLL can rectify as part of their year for the books :)

11 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Imagine how the colors will pop in 4K. It will still be the most beautifully shot Superman film but now more crisp

No offence, Jo, but...do we want it "more crisp"?  Unsworth never shot it "crisp", he shot it "soft". I'd be happy with it being presented as close to how Unsworth shot it, originally.

#makeunrestoredsupermangreatagain

Crisp was the word I settled with and I knew it was inadequate. G. U. provided us with an almost dreamlike view. I want the 4K to retain that.

19 minutes ago, John said:

Congratulations on raising the bar for online movie discussion. Your excellent contribution has been duly noted.

What was that thing they used to say in officer school? "Always strive for excellence..." Well, that's @Chen G. in a nutshell for you!

That and humble, that is. 😉

• 1 month later...

Looks like we may have a 40th Anniversary theatrical release date set up for November 25th!

https://heroichollywood.com/superman-movie-40th-anniversary/

Hoping for Williams iconic score to be tied in with the anniversary release 
(as it should be) Hoping for a stand alone 2 or a 3cd release! That would be nice. 

22 minutes ago, Amer said:

Looks like we may have a 40th Anniversary theatrical release date set up for November 25th!

https://heroichollywood.com/superman-movie-40th-anniversary/

Hoping for Williams iconic score to be tied in with the anniversary release 
(as it should be) Hoping for a stand alone 2 or a 3cd release! That would be nice. 

Yes just when I bought the Blue Box a while ago. And they will of course improve the sound quality even further! One for the books I am sure.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Yes just when I bought the Blue Box a while ago. And they will of course improve the sound quality even further! One for the books I am sure.

Yes, I have been requesting a standalone release of the score away from the box set for years. It would another thrill to have this separately with all improvements that can be done by the stakeholders involved.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:36 AM, Jay said:

Strangely there is no mention of this in the FSM box set.(i just checked) It would certainly be a new bonus cue that I would welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

November 6

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23978

9914_tn.jpg

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will celebrate the 40th anniversary of Richard Donner's classic film Superman (1978) with a brand new 4K Blu-ray release, which will be available for purchase on November 6th. 

Based on the DC character created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Superman was produced by Pierre Spengler from a story by Mario Puzo and a screenplay by Puzo, David Newman, Leslie Newman, and Robert Benton. Ilya Salkind served as executive producer. The film also features Ned Beatty as Otis, Jackie Cooper as Perry White, Glen Ford as Jonathan Kent, Valerie Perrine as Eva Teschmacher, and Terrance Stamp as General Zod.

Superman was nominated for three Academy Awards, including Best Film Editing, Best Music (Original Score) and Best Sound. The film also received a Special Achievement Academy Award for Visual Effects. In 2017, Superman was inducted in to the Library of Congress National Film Registry.

Ultra HD showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

The 4K Blu-ray disc of Superman will feature Dolby Vision HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame. The 4K Blu-ray disc of Superman will also feature a Dolby Atmos soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

Synopsis: Academy Award winners Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman head an all-star cast in the fantastic, action-packed film that made Christopher Reeve an international star playing the greatest superhero of all time. From the doomed planet of Krypton, two parents launch a spaceship carrying their infant son to earth. Here he grows up to become Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for the Metropolis Daily Planet. But with powers and abilities far beyond those of ordinary men, he battles for truth and justice as Superman.

SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:

• DOLBY VISION HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK
  • Audio Commentary by Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind
  • The Making of Superman: The Movie1978 TV Special
  • Superman and the Mole-Men
  • Cartoons
  • TV Spots and Trailers
  • Optional English SDH, Latin Spanish, and Parisian French subtitles for the main feature